Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 09:01 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times

Advertisements

I came across this little piece and I thought it might be interesting to some. The copyright expired.

copyright has expired; this is a public domain document; this chapter was written in 1909 by Rhodes, a leading historian of the era.
CHAPTER II, pp 51-85

My relation of the occurrences at Reading and Scranton has taken us amongst the population of the anthracite coal region of Pennsylvania. No history of the time can be complete without some reference to the Molly Maguires whose activity caused a profound sensation in the coal region and attracted considerable attention from the rest of the country.

more. . . Rhodes Molly Maguires (1909)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:40 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,632,318 times
I have some Mollies in my family tree. I still have cousins that live in that area.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times
Sounds familiar.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:58 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,256 times
Not to split hairs....

In the same general region....

But, I believe that the recognized home of the Molly's was Tamaqua Pa..

Old 09-13-2015, 02:42 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Legend has it that a mysterious handprint on the wall of the old jail in Mauch Chunk (now Jim Thorpe), PA was left by Alexander Campbell, a Molly leader, who was hanged the next day in 1877. He is said to have left it there as a sign of his innocence. I've toured the Old Jail Museum but you can't really get close enough to touch the print.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
The whole history of anthracite coal mining in North East Pennsylvania is fascinating.

In the mid-19th Century, the occupation of mining coal was extremely difficult, hazardous, unhealthy, and tedious. The miners, nearly all recruited from immigrants recently arrived from England, Ireland, and Wales were hungry for work. They were employed in back-breaking hard labor, long hours, and poverty wages. It was a kind of slavery. The coal company owned your modest hastily built wooden house. To cook and heat the house you agreed to buy the company coal. You had to buy your supplies from the company store. Often you weren't even paid in cash, but in company currency called "scrip" that could only be redeemed in the company store. Boys as young as 8 or 9 starting working in Breakers, picking out impurities from the coal coming down the chutes (although they were supposed to be 12, no one checked birth certificates).

If you were sick of working in the coal mines and ran away, the coal companies had their own security police forces that would treat you as a fugitive slave ... catch you ... and bring you back to work in the mine.

The rise of the Molly Maguires is not surprising.

By the late 1870's and going into the 1880's the Eastern European immigrants started to arrive en masse. I remember seeing a historic document - a letter from a Pennsylvania coal mine manager to his employment recruitment agent in Philadelphia - instructing the agent to hire only "Polanders" (sic) and Slavs ... because the Irish and Welsh were troublemakers and prone to organize strikes.

There is a living living history museum called Eckley Miner's Village that is an actual company coal "patch" town that has been preserved for over 150 years down to the present day. I call it 'the poor man's Colonial Williamsburg'. You see the actual semi-detached 3 and 4 room wooden houses, the company store, the mule stables, the tavern, the doctor's house and office, and the two churches. At one point, after the Civil War, Eckley grew to have 1,000 residents. It is located near the city of Hazleton, PA. Just outside Hazleton is the site of the Lattimer Massacre where innocent coal miners were killed ... but that's another story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History