Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:42 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,870,188 times

Advertisements

There are two or three excellent documentaries floating around YouTube about the Bridge on the River Quai (not the movie).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 08:56 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,256,191 times
The "Unknown War" series - all of them, but this particular part, showing the apocalypses of war for Russian civilians. Not all the horrors and atrocities ( that these series are full of too,) but this particular part; at 4:18 it looks like a scene somewhere straight from the Old Testament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-6R61Aqiw

( This is the first part of the "To the East.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7iiixRLw9o

Old 05-26-2018, 10:20 PM

10,000 posts, read 8,501,172 times
There are a number of WWII movies that I like but my favorite is the old 60s tv series Combat. One of my favorite episodes is " The Hell Machine." It starred Frank Gorshin as a claustrophobic driver. Sgt. Saunders, Gorshin and another guy steal a German tank and try to make it back to their lines. They get stuck in a ditch and another German tank shows up asking if they need help. Saunders is wearing a German cap and he has Gorshin revving up the engine so the German can't hear his answer, Saunders just nods his head and the Germans hook a chain to the tank and pull them out. A message comes across the tank radios that some Americans are driving a stolen German tank.
Gorshin is peeking thru the slits and sees their turret rotating.
Gorshin " Sarge, they're bringing the gun around "
Saunders " Get in close so they can't use it "
For the next 20 minutes you see two tanks square dancing side by side.
Here is some more info on that episode:

The Hell Machine

A more realistic series was Navy Log from the 1950s. They used actual battle footage.
Clint Eastwood appeared in one episode, he looked like a punk kid.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:29 AM

481 posts, read 416,460 times
I like to watch all kinds of WW2 videos, but the ones I enjoy the most are youtube content creators who are extremely into the history give a fun and personal flair in short videos. On top of that, they are usually great at cramming tons of information into a really short amount of time.

Here's some examples from some youtubers I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbim2kGwhpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmC9jJuXAbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5DcY8TmOpA

Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM

4,717 posts, read 5,023,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I went through Marine Corps Boot San Diego in 1966 during the build up for Vietnam. The drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket was played by R Lee Ermey who was an actual DI in my recruit training company at the time. He was medically discharged some time later and took up an acting career. A lot of that film was historically accurate especially boot camp. There were suicides and physical punishment was the norm.
The second part of the film was shot at Beckton gasworks in London. It was decommissioned and ready to be demolished, when Kubick spotted the place. It was contaminated and full of asbestos. The bases of the curved concrete gas tanks are clearly seen in the film, representing Hue.

Bassingbourn British army base in Hertfordshire, near Kubric's house, was used for the 1st half of the film. They failed to fully blacken out the British road markings on the road, seen when the soldiers are running in a group. Very slack of meticulous Kubric. Kubric, who lived outside of London would only film in the UK. I know a lady who did some artwork for the film and one guy who was an extra. He had to get his head shaved.

The demolition vehicles were revving up outside the gasworks as they were packing up after the last scene.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 AM

14,986 posts, read 23,761,138 times
This is a really old thread but I think it is confusing the lines between war MOVIES (fiction or fictionalized) and war DOCUMENTARIES. Plenty of threads on war movies, not many on war documentaries.

By the way Netflix has many of the old Frank Capra old ww2 documentaries (essentially propaganda but very interesting) - the "Why we Fight" series.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:26 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
For sure my favorite is the Victory at Sea series. I watched these as a kid, the music was awesome.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-11-2023, 01:12 PM

2,236 posts, read 781,197 times
Apocalypse Now,
Das Boot.
Enemy at the Gates.
When trumpets fade.
Valkeyrie
Memphis Belle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History