Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Well i was studing the history of the Modern English language and i realised that our English today is close to the Norman language or Middle English more so than the Anglo Saxon or Old English.

When the Normans invaded England (1066) and conquered it they assumed power and also intermingled with the Anglo Saxons so i got to thinking why are ''Whites'' called Anglo (Saxon) when maybe we/they should be called Normans.

Any thoughts out there as i'm just learning and pondering this subject.

Few word comparrisons.
Modern English ...............1066 Norman........Anglo Saxon
Bait...............................Bete........... ........Eas
Can...............................Canne........... ......Magan
Cat...............................Cat............. ........Catt
Garden .........................Gardin..................N eornenawang
Pouch............................Poque............ .....Faetels
Cabbage........................Caboche............ ..Cawl
Castle...........................Castel........... .......Mynster
Mug..............................Mogue............ .....Wort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 12:18 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,860 times
Interesting, Who are the normans? where did they come from?

I too enjoy studing English, I find morden english is very limited perhaps shallow,( I detest slang) even more so today compared to manuscripts written 18th century and even early 19th century ( maybe confusing my centurys here) Or perhaps it is language itself that reflects our lifestyles, When I read King james bible or Anna karina, shakespear, Wow what depth,
very intelligent. I absolutly love it.
I would love to hear about the differnces of norman/Anglos
here is a tidbit for you:

Latin in English - More Latin Words in English
Interested in increasing your vocabulary? Here are some more English words from Latin directly or from Latin via French or Spanish. These words are thought to have come from newspaper articles from around 1923. One of the words on the list, mattoid, does not appear to be used any longer, so it is not included.
  1. acumen - ability to make good judgments
  2. agenda - list of things to be done
  3. altruism - selfless concern for others
  4. ambiguous - having a double meaning
  5. aplomb (Fr.) - self-confidence
  6. atrocity - cruel act
  7. avarice - greed
  8. bibulous - excessively fond of drinking alcohol
  9. celibate - abstaining from sex or marriage
  10. chivalrous (Fr.) - gallant
  11. condign - worthy, appropriate
  12. conglomerate - parts put together to form a unit while remaining separate identities
  13. crepuscular - pertaining to twilight
  14. cull - select from a variety of sources
  15. debilitate - weaken
  16. dirigible - capable of being guided
  17. facsimile - exact copy
  18. ferrous - made of iron
  19. flux - in the process of flowing
  20. futile - in vain
  21. garrulity - loquaciousness
  22. impecunious - poor
  23. incalculable - too great to be counted
  24. incommunicado (Sp.) - not in communication with others
  25. indefatigability - tireless
  26. insipid - lacking flavor
  27. introspection - looking within at one's mental or emotional state
  28. languid - slow, relaxed
  29. lucubration - meditation
  30. malfeasance (Fr.) - wrongdoing
  31. modicum - small amount
  32. moribund - near death
  33. mundane - wordly as opposed to spiritual
  34. naive - exhibiting lack of experience
  35. obeisance - respect
  36. obvious - clear (from the Latin for "in the way")
  37. parvenu - celebrity from obscure origins
  38. perpetuate - preserve
  39. perturb - make anxious
  40. plausible - probable
  41. precarious - uncertain
  42. puerile - childishly silly
  43. pulchritude - beauty
  44. pusillanimity - showing a lack of courage
  45. rapport - close relationship
  46. rapprochement (Fr.) - establishment of a harmonious relationship
  47. recalcitrant - obstinate
  48. renegade - a rebellious person
  49. reprisal - retaliation
  50. sacrosanct - very important or holy and not to be messed with
  51. simulacrum - image
  52. stipend - fixed allowance
  53. stultify - make appear foolish, cause to loose enthusiasm
  54. succumb - fail to resist
  55. taunt (Fr.) - provoke
  56. tentative - provisional
  57. turpitude - depravity
  58. ubiquity - found everywhere

Old 02-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
Interesting, Who are the normans? where did they come from?
[

Hey Michelle.... They were from Normandy on the northern coast of France. They were the Norse (vikings) and the Franks (old french) mixed to form the Normans or the Norman language.

Interesting about Latin in English as the Normans had Vulgar Latin in the Frankish sect of the Language so maybe that's where alot of it got mixed in. Or it could also be from when the Romans who inhabited England when the Anglo Saxons invaded in the 400's.A.D so they may have also intermingled Latin with Old English.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well i was studing the history of the Modern English language and i realised that our English today is close to the Norman language or Middle English more so than the Anglo Saxon or Old English.

When the Normans invaded England (1066) and conquered it they assumed power and also intermingled with the Anglo Saxons so i got to thinking why are ''Whites'' called Anglo (Saxon) when maybe we/they should be called Normans.

Any thoughts out there as i'm just learning and pondering this subject.

Few word comparrisons.
Modern English ...............1066 Norman........Anglo Saxon
Bait...............................Bete........... ........Eas
Can...............................Canne........... ......Magan
Cat...............................Cat............. ........Catt
Garden .........................Gardin..................N eornenawang
Pouch............................Poque............ .....Faetels
Cabbage........................Caboche............ ..Cawl
Castle...........................Castel........... .......Mynster
Mug..............................Mogue............ .....Wort
Gotta tell ya, that's a really great observation/question and to be quite honest about it, I haven't clue as to why English (both as a people and in terms of language) is still referred to as Anglo-Saxon. Maybe it's because in popular culture we tend to indentify with the Angles/Saxons than with the Normans because of novels such as Robin Hood - where the Angles/Saxons were shown as being the oppressed good guys while King John (and the Normans in general) were painted as the bad guys (just a guess).

Once again, really great (and interesting question). I'd give you points but I already did that recently so I can't do it again right now.

Ken

Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,860 times
I never really understood as why english is divied by middle english? etc, I just accepted the term. I would like an explanation if you could?( Im only self taught)
I understand latin roots were exposed when the nobles/wealthy would send there offspring to spain/france/greece/ to learn Latin and greek,(Democracy) so they could express themselves better for the common english was very very limited. some historians say it was very base as only about 500 words. If that is true I wonder what the oirginal english words were without having borrowed from other languages.
do you think it was the romans who influneced them to a higher education? From there invasion. of course then only nobles/wealthy could afford such privilages, is cokney english? or what of its root? compared to oxford english?

Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
There are many fine linguists or social scientists who study root language. One of these wrote a fascinating book entitled "The Alphabet and the Goddess."

While it does not answer 6 Foot 3's question, it does provide some very valuable theories, several of which may help in answering this conundrum.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I haven't clue as to why English (both as a people and in terms of language) is still referred to as Anglo-Saxon. Maybe it's because in popular culture we tend to indentify with the Angles/Saxons than with the Normans because of novels such as Robin Hood - where the Angles/Saxons were shown as being the oppressed good guys while King John (and the Normans in general) were painted as the bad guys (just a guess).
Good analogy on the Novel Ken.....I did some more research on this and from what i gather the Anglo Saxons hated their new overlords the Normans so that ties in with the Robin Hood Novel you sugested.

The new Norman Kings made Norman the official language of all government settings but the Anglo Saxons retained their ''Old English'' which eventually merged and became ''Middle English''.

I also just realised that they were in power only about 100 years (1066-1154) so that wasn't very long to have an Norman idenity for the peoples. Now wondering how Modern English emerged after this Norman period.

Anyway interesting stuff....thanks Ken, Michelle and Ontheroad.....

Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Some of you might find these books interesting.
"The Adventure of English" by Melvyn Bragg and "the History of English" by Robert McCrum , William Cran and Robert MacNeil. Both fascinating.

HEL Website (http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/hel/hel.html - broken link)
History of the English Language
The history of the English language - an introduction
Language Timeline

Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks for those sites Mooseketeer.

I see your in England so my question is do most in England think of themselves as Anglo or Anglo Saxons? I believe the rest of the U.K. outside of England (Irish, Welch, Scots etc.) is of the ancient Celts and not the Anglo/Saxons correct.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks for those sites Mooseketeer.

I see your in England so my question is do most in England think of themselves as Anglo or Anglo Saxons? I believe the rest of the U.K. outside of England (Irish, Welch, Scots etc.) is of the ancient Celts and not the Anglo/Saxons correct.
I don't think most people really think about it much except those from Celtic "Nations" ( Scotland, Ireland, Wales) and regions ( Cornwall) though I guess if pushed most would describe as Anglo-Saxon as the mix has been here for so long it seems to be widely accepted as making the bigger part of Britain.
Certain parts of England such as Yorkshire and Northumberland were more influenced by Norse and Dane settlements as were the Shetlands and Orkneys in Scotland.

There was a fascinating programme on TV recently about a genetic survey done nationwide. They actually found out that things were not necessarily as clear cut as Anglo-Saxons predominance and that many regions did have still a lot of the original Celtic population.

The Normans did not seem to have that much of a genetic influence, I suspect perhaps as they were all pretty much the Upper Classes and intermarried mainly with other Normans . There was never a Norman invasion, the conquering army was relatively small.

Genetic map of the UK sheds light on history of Ancient Britons and modern day disease (broken link)
Blood of the Vikings (7/3/2001)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History