Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 AM

461 posts, read 332,986 times

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/13860286583...6447078678098/

Not one ounce of guilt! I love it! Defended Europe from the Bolsheviks and history will revenge them one day and set the record straight! Love it at the end LOL...Enjoy.I surely did. Got my blood pumping with pride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 11:56 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post

Not one ounce of guilt! I love it! Defended Europe from the Bolsheviks and history will revenge them one day and set the record straight! Love it at the end LOL...Enjoy.I surely did. Got my blood pumping with pride!

They ineptly handed half of Europe to the USSR.

As has been pointed out by myself and others, Stalin was a very cautious despot. He seized territory only when the odds were overwhelmingly in his favor (ex: Finland, the Baltics) or when it fell into his lap as a result of actions beyond his control (ex: the rest of Eastern Europe, as a result of rolling back the German invasion, Sakhalin). Absent the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact - which greenlit several Stalin land-grabs - and Barbarossa, Stalin probably would have eventually seized the Baltics, probably picked some sort of fight with Finland, maybe nibbled at Poland - but the wholesale seize of Eastern Europe? Into Germany? Bulgaria? Hungary and Czechoslovakia? Not a chance.

Sorry, but for Hitler and the idiotic invasion of the East, that never would have happened.

I don't really blame the soldiers. It must be terrible to go through something so searing, so devastating, intensely bonding with so many men that you had to watch die, and then have to face the reality that your mission was calamitous to your nation. It's not surprising so many people manage to put a positive spin on the horrible, disastrous endeavors of which they were a part. The denialism is very predictable.

But it doesn't change the reality.

Hitler, and the pawns who did his bidding from the generals down to the lowliest privates, massively enlarged the Soviet sphere of influence through their mind-bogglingly ineptitude and opened the door for the USSR to become a global power.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:02 PM

461 posts, read 332,986 times
It could have and would have been worse had they not fought. The entire continent would have been over run by Bolshevism.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:29 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
I'm not at all surprised by their attitudes. Europe was in the 30's paranoid towards communism, just like the US was in the 50's. Many Finnish soldiers genuinely thought that they were the vanguard and first front defending Western civilisation and Christianity against the Soviet moloch. There was even a popular schlager saying "break that boil from Asia with a knife". One Danish SS volunteer said that he "had" to join the SS, because that was the only way to fight bolshevism. That was the mindset then.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:57 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post

What Bolshevism did they defeat in Austria, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Czechoslovakia, or Poland all of which the Nazis invaded BEFORE, ever firing a shot at the Soviet Union?

Were 11 million Jews, Catholics, mentally and physically handicapped human being Bolsheviks? Was the Soviet Union arming itself to overwhelm Europe? If the Nazis were so damned intent on fighting Bolshevism why commit atrocities against the people of the Ukraine who would have gladly help the Germans free them from Stalin's rule. But that was the plan for the Slavs or were Slavs born with some sort of yet to be discovered Marxist gene.

No.

Folks need to take this revisionist rationalization back to Stormfront where somebody might be delusional enough to believe this nonsense.

Last edited by TheWiseWino; 01-01-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm not at all surprised by their attitudes.
Neither would if I listening to someone try to justify my part in the murder of 11 million people and throwing the world into another conflagration because they believed first and foremost that they were part of some master race inherently superiority to all the rest of mankind.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

They ineptly handed half of Europe to the USSR.

As has been pointed out by myself and others, Stalin was a very cautious despot. He seized territory only when the odds were overwhelmingly in his favor (ex: Finland, the Baltics) or when it fell into his lap as a result of actions beyond his control (ex: the rest of Eastern Europe, as a result of rolling back the German invasion, Sakhalin). Absent the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact - which greenlit several Stalin land-grabs - and Barbarossa, Stalin probably would have eventually seized the Baltics, probably picked some sort of fight with Finland, maybe nibbled at Poland - but the wholesale seize of Eastern Europe? Into Germany? Bulgaria? Hungary and Czechoslovakia? Not a chance.

Sorry, but for Hitler and the idiotic invasion of the East, that never would have happened.

I don't really blame the soldiers. It must be terrible to go through something so searing, so devastating, intensely bonding with so many men that you had to watch die, and then have to face the reality that your mission was calamitous to your nation. It's not surprising so many people manage to put a positive spin on the horrible, disastrous endeavors of which they were a part. The denialism is very predictable.

But it doesn't change the reality.

Hitler, and the pawns who did his bidding from the generals down to the lowliest privates, massively enlarged the Soviet sphere of influence through their mind-bogglingly ineptitude and opened the door for the USSR to become a global power.
Heck, if Germany wasn't so idiotic in how they occupied Russian territory, they might have actually been able to prevail against the Soviet Union. Had they been enlightened occupiers rather than just another bunch of ruthless invaders, they could have recruited millions to their banner. For there were not many admirers of Stalin in places such as the Ukraine.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
if Germany wasn't so idiotic in how they occupied Russian territory, they might have actually been able to prevail against the Soviet Union. Had they been enlightened occupiers rather than just another bunch of ruthless invaders, they could have recruited millions to their banner. For there were not many admirers of Stalin in places such as the Ukraine.
But that is the thing, they weren't idiotic nor could they be enlightened occupiers, the underlying political philosophy of the Third Reich made that impossible. Any analysis simply cannot escape that the German people, whether they were full fledge Nazis or "just soldiers" were inculcated by an abiding belief in their inherent racial superiority and the inherent inferiority of eastern Europeans; Europeans whose land had been promised to the German people.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:35 PM

354 posts, read 280,931 times
To be fair to Germany though, as a whole they seemed to have owned up to what they did and put most of those responsible on trial over the decades following (Some many, many decades later: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ning/30176313/). Contrast that with a certain other country who didn't really own up to it (http://www.pacificwar.org.au/JapWarC...ng_truth2.html), far fewer ever stood trial (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...for_war_crimes), and whose leader got away with murder via WMD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...emical_weapons).

Last edited by happygeek; 01-02-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 01:35 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Heck, if Germany wasn't so idiotic in how they occupied Russian territory, they might have actually been able to prevail against the Soviet Union. Had they been enlightened occupiers rather than just another bunch of ruthless invaders, they could have recruited millions to their banner. For there were not many admirers of Stalin in places such as the Ukraine.
Had Hitler played that hand differently, they quite conceivably could have won that war. In parts of the Soviet Union, the first German units to roll in from the west were greeted as liberators by millions of non-Russian Soviets who wanted to enlist in the Wehrmacht. If Hitler had recognized what was being handed to him on a silver platter, and accepted it instead of spitting it back into their faces and crushing the Ukrainians, Georgians, and even ethnic Russian turncoats under his bootheel, he could have built an army that Stalin might have had no way to defeat in the amount of time available to him. It could have been a very different outcome if Hitler had allowed even a tiny beam of sanity to penetrate the black cloud that surrounded his soul and even briefly illuminate the situation in which he found himself.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 01-03-2016 at 02:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History