Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:35 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Since I've never heard of one going by something like "Princess Michael" before.... if you have many other examples, please share. Women take their husband's titles all the time, sure, but rarely in the case where it means using the feminine title with their husband's masculine name.

Regardless, she doesn't have to go by that title, or officially take it. I can't think of one other European example where a woman has used the feminine title of Princess/Duchess/etc with her husband's name instead of her own. If you can find more than a dozen other examples, I will concede that it's more common than I thought but until you do I will maintain that it's not the norm.

First of all there really isn't a "norm" for all of Europe including GB anymore because of how various countries with former or even current monarchies (along with nobility) treat hereditary titles.

In Germany for instance titles are simply a part of one's surname which obviously shakes things up a bit. One of the more famous examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria...#Titles.5B3.5D

GB is probably the only place in Europe where titles and royal styles are still a really big thing. English common law has built up several centuries of who gets to use what and Princess Michael of Kent is just that and has every right to be called such. This regardless of what persons like yourself and others may think. It simply is her married name as PM *has no other*. Well suppose there could be "Mrs. Michael Windsor" option but would have to look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
frog

Old 02-12-2016, 07:12 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
GB is probably the only place in Europe where titles and royal styles are still a really big thing. English common law has built up several centuries of who gets to use what and Princess Michael of Kent is just that and has every right to be called such.
Never said she didn't. Just thought it was unusual and that made her seem rather grasping for the title of Princess, that's all. She has also been known to boast about how she is "more royal" than the queen, so she just comes across as a little hung up on being "royal" and having the title to go with it.

Quote:
This regardless of what persons like yourself and others may think. It simply is her married name as PM *has no other*. Well suppose there could be "Mrs. Michael Windsor" option but would have to look it up.
So, still no other examples?

Old 02-12-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Never said she didn't. Just thought it was unusual and that made her seem rather grasping for the title of Princess, that's all. She has also been known to boast about how she is "more royal" than the queen, so she just comes across as a little hung up on being "royal" and having the title to go with it.

So, still no other examples?

Again you cannot draw comparisons easily because laws vary in the individual European countries that have or had monarchies and nobility.

But since you keep asking read and draw your own conclusions: Royal wedding rekindles interest in German aristocracy (but millions more watched William and Kate tie the knot) | Daily Mail Online

A Real American Princess in Germany: Her Highness Princess Kelly, The Hereditary Princess of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha | The Royal Correspondent

French Prince Francois d'Orleans marries German Theresa von Einsiedel | Daily Mail Online

Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Again you cannot draw comparisons easily because laws vary in the individual European countries that have or had monarchies and nobility.
But if this is the law in Britain and there's no other examples of it in the VERY long history of Britain/England...

I saw one example in this of one of the guests at the wedding (the bride herself was already a princess in her own right so I'm assuming you don't mean her): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Nicholas_Windsor

I saw no examples in this? The press are calling her Princess Kelly but that is not her real title and there's no mention of whether she goes by "Princess Hubertus". I can find no reference to a "Princess Hubertus" in a google search.

I also see no examples in this. There's no indication she will be going by "Princess Francois d'Orleans" and when I google it, I don't get any results.

So, you found one example. That doesn't make it the "norm".

Old 02-13-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
But if this is the law in Britain and there's no other examples of it in the VERY long history of Britain/England...

I saw one example in this of one of the guests at the wedding (the bride herself was already a princess in her own right so I'm assuming you don't mean her): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Nicholas_Windsor

I saw no examples in this? The press are calling her Princess Kelly but that is not her real title and there's no mention of whether she goes by "Princess Hubertus". I can find no reference to a "Princess Hubertus" in a google search.

I also see no examples in this. There's no indication she will be going by "Princess Francois d'Orleans" and when I google it, I don't get any results.

So, you found one example. That doesn't make it the "norm".

*Sigh*

I don't have time to sit you down and spoon feed information. If you are too thick to understand the differences between Great Britain, France, Germany and the rest of current and or former monarchies and their nobility that isn't my problem.

No, you aren't going to find many instances of "Princess Michael of Kent" because until rather recently British royals married other royalty, so it isn't any good going "back years".

Of recent memory there would be Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon who married the Duke of York and was known as dss of York until the abdication of Edward VII. She then became HM The Queen. But there are others: British Royal Family History - Frequently Asked Questions

You also need to understand the concept of Morganatic marriages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan...arriage#France

Finally again because you seem to have trouble grasping the concepts; the British peerage system and English common laws exist in that country. In England when a woman marries she becomes legally entitled to all that her husband has in terms of rank, titles and styles. What she chooses to use is another matter. Just as Camilla is legally The Princess of Wales but choses use one of her husband's lesser titles; Duchess of Cornwall.

For the last time! Prince Michael of Kent *HAS NO OTHER NAMES OR TITLES* His wife thus either goes around by her maiden name or perhaps Mrs. M. Windsor. It cannot be Princess Marie-Christine because the woman is not the daughter, grand-daughter of a British monarch nor created such by same as with Prince William's children.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Quote:
Since I've never heard of one going by something like "Princess Michael" before.... if you have many other examples, please share. Women take their husband's titles all the time, sure, but rarely in the case where it means using the feminine title with their husband's masculine name.

This happens ALL the time, but you simply aren't used to hearing it with "Princess". Try this:
John D. Rockefeller, Jr. marries Abby Aldrich. What does that make her? Mrs. Abby Rockefeller??? Heck, no! She is "Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, Jr." , using the feminine title with her husband's masculine name.

For an example with a noble title, the sons of dukes are by courtesy called "Lord Firstname Lastname", as in the case of Lord Randolph Churchill, who was the younger son of the Duke of Marlborough. When he married Jennie Jerome, she became "Lady Randolph Churchill", or "Lady Randolph" for short.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 PM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
Quote:
House of Windsor (then Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) already had Romanov "blood".

In 1874 Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, daughter of Czar Alexander II married The Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Ulster, Earl of Kent, the fourth child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
I meant into the direct line to the throne, obviously.

I'm actually a bit of an expert myself about the descendants of the Queen Victoria, King Christian IX, and of course, the Romanov's.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
*Sigh*

I don't have time to sit you down and spoon feed information. If you are too thick to understand the differences between Great Britain, France, Germany and the rest of current and or former monarchies and their nobility that isn't my problem.

No, you aren't going to find many instances of "Princess Michael of Kent" because until rather recently British royals married other royalty, so it isn't any good going "back years".
They are plenty of royals in history who did not marry other royals. It might be becoming more common recently, but it was certainly not unheard of in history.

Quote:
Of recent memory there would be Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon who married the Duke of York and was known as dss of York until the abdication of Edward VII. She then became HM The Queen. But there are others: British Royal Family History - Frequently Asked Questions
This is still not an example of what we're talking about. You keep trying to patronize me and claim I don't grasp certain concepts but you're the one who keeps given "examples" that don't fit the situation that we're talking about!

Quote:
For the last time! Prince Michael of Kent *HAS NO OTHER NAMES OR TITLES* His wife thus either goes around by her maiden name or perhaps Mrs. M. Windsor. It cannot be Princess Marie-Christine because the woman is not the daughter, grand-daughter of a British monarch nor created such by same as with Prince William's children.
For the last time, she still didn't have to take his title.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
This happens ALL the time, but you simply aren't used to hearing it with "Princess". Try this:
John D. Rockefeller, Jr. marries Abby Aldrich. What does that make her? Mrs. Abby Rockefeller??? Heck, no! She is "Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, Jr." , using the feminine title with her husband's masculine name.

For an example with a noble title, the sons of dukes are by courtesy called "Lord Firstname Lastname", as in the case of Lord Randolph Churchill, who was the younger son of the Duke of Marlborough. When he married Jennie Jerome, she became "Lady Randolph Churchill", or "Lady Randolph" for short.
Yes, I know, but we're specifically talking about the custom in royalty/nobility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History