Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,300,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
So what I am getting from this topic is that some devils are better than others?
"UK and Commonwealth + US + USSR vs. Germany" is much better than "UK and Commonwealth + US vs. USSR +Germany"

You have to be pragmatic in war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:35 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,800,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
So what I am getting from this topic is that some devils are better than others?
Uh... yeah? What else?

There aren't two kinds of countries/leaders: 'good' and 'bad'. There's all sorts, in all manner of situations, that each affect the perspective of the United States (for example) in all sorts of different ways.

In a nutshell, a robust defensive posture with the might to back it up deterred Stalin. It did not deter Hitler. Thus, there really was no living with Hitler, but coexistence with Stalin was possible. This is from the perspective of the Western Allies, mind you.

That's it, in a nutshell. There wasn't a compelling reason for war with the USSR but there was for war with Nazi Germany. It's generally about national interest, not simplistic notions of 'good' and 'bad' (which, for example, is precisely the reason we didn't attack Franco's Spain).

Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 AM

379 posts, read 254,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Even though realistically it wouldn't have been likely to happen wouldn't it had been amazing had the Nazis managed to completely destroy the Soviet/communist savages, had executed Stalin and all of his friends but the west also managed to defeat the equally horrid Nazis? Considering the Soviets and Nazis were both equally savage and lead by equally savage people could you imagine how different and better things would have been had the world been able to enter an age where neither the Nazis nor the Soviets existed? No Nazi Germany nor Soviet Russia, both equally horrible and both equally deserving of extermination.

Imagine had the two worst entities to have ever existed had been deservedly completely eradicated from the planet been completely destroyed how much better for everyone the world would have been!

As evil as the Nazis were and deserved to be destroyed it has always bothered me knowing we had to befriend and make deals with an equally horrid devil to do it. Had both Hitler and Stalin and friends been sent to the deepest pits of hell we could have avoided SO much unneeded despair and bloodshed.
Quite comical considering Hitler had no intention of destroying America or any other country, including non-white ones, unlike the Soviets who beheaded and destroyed Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Hungary, Ukraine, Belarus, Yugoslavia, Lithuania, Latvia, East Germany, and tortured, machine gunned, starved, and fatally over-worked 50 million Europeans!

I'm unsure why you didn't include in your post, "we'd all be speaking German now".

Last edited by DownHillAmerica; 06-09-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Quite comical considering Hitler had no intention of destroying America or any other country, including non-white ones, unlike the Soviets who beheaded and destroyed Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Hungary, Ukraine, Belarus, Yugoslavia, Lithuania, Latvia, East Germany, and tortured, machine gunned, starved, and fatally over-worked 50 million Europeans!

I'm unsure why you didn't include in your post, "we'd all be speaking German now".
Hitler routinely commented that he was going to destroy the democracies.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:08 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,298,185 times
Quote:

You must've forgotten about Czechoslovakia, Poland, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Yugoslavia, Greece, Belgium ? I am not including France since it did declare war on Germany over Poland. But all of these other countries were invaded by Hitler, destroyed, and in the process of being "incorporated" into the Third Reich.

At least Yugoslavia after the war remained independent from the USSR - even a bitter enemy - despite being ran by the communists.

And Ukraine was an integral part of the Russian Empire - and unlike Poland or Finland, it didn't have an autonomy. So it becoming part of the USSR can't be considered an act of invasion, merely one side losing to another in a civil war.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
So it becoming part of the USSR can't be considered an act of invasion, merely one side losing to another in a civil war.
I guess that excuses the butchering and starving of seven million Ukrainians by the Reds.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:57 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,800,436 times
Quote:
I guess that excuses the butchering and starving of seven million Ukrainians by the Reds.
Beat that strawman good!

Hint:
A strawman is when someone (you, in this case) 'refutes' an argument that no one made (that the Holodomor was excusable, in this case). It's a common, though dishonest, tactic in discussions.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Beat that strawman good!

Hint:
A strawman is when someone (you, in this case) 'refutes' an argument that no one made (that the Holodomor was excusable, in this case). It's a common, though dishonest, tactic in discussions.
Oh, I aim to get back to the invasions of those other countries.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:27 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,191,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Even though realistically it wouldn't have been likely to happen wouldn't it had been amazing had the Nazis managed to completely destroy the Soviet/communist savages, had executed Stalin and all of his friends but the west also managed to defeat the equally horrid Nazis? Considering the Soviets and Nazis were both equally savage and lead by equally savage people could you imagine how different and better things would have been had the world been able to enter an age where neither the Nazis nor the Soviets existed? No Nazi Germany nor Soviet Russia, both equally horrible and both equally deserving of extermination.

Imagine had the two worst entities to have ever existed had been deservedly completely eradicated from the planet been completely destroyed how much better for everyone the world would have been!

As evil as the Nazis were and deserved to be destroyed it has always bothered me knowing we had to befriend and make deals with an equally horrid devil to do it. Had both Hitler and Stalin and friends been sent to the deepest pits of hell we could have avoided SO much unneeded despair and bloodshed.
Since the Soviets did the bulk of the heavy lifting in defeating the Nazis, no, I don't think it would have been "awesome" at all.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Since the Soviets did the bulk of the heavy lifting in defeating the Nazis, no, I don't think it would have been "awesome" at all.
Yep. The US decided 90 divisions would be enough for our forces for the entire war. The Germans attacked the USSR with 240+ divisions. Makes the issue a bit more clear, don't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History