Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:10 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,255,203 times

Advertisements

I was a sophomore in high school when John Glenn orbited the earth. I remember we were in art class when he re-entered the earth's orbit and then splashed down. It was a Catholic school and we were all on on our knees next to our desks, praying for his safe return.

I was a senior in high school the day Kennedy was shot. We were in the middle of Career Day, and they did not tell us what had happened until all those sessions were over. I remember being in the session about news reporting, and the reporter said sometimes you learn things that you can't immediately talk about. And he seemed shaken, but he didn't tell us. It was a Friday, and that whole weekend we were glued to the TV and cried a lot.

I was a senior in college, having dinner in a Washington, DC, restaurant, the day MLK was shot. I drove home to Delaware that night, right through a lot of areas that ultimately were destroyed by the riots. I was too young to know it might be dangerous, and just lucky that I got through those areas before anything bad started happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 12:53 AM

16,059 posts, read 10,652,114 times
I have the usual tragedy memories...JFK, RFK, Challenger, John Lennon, even George Wallace getting shot. But, my wife and I had an unusual string of odd things happening while on vacation. It started in 1975 with Jimmy Hoffa disappearing while on vacation. Later it was Anwar Sadat's assassination. Then the Black Monday stock market crash. Later Princess Diana dying in a car crash. Next it was John F. Kennedy Jr. and his plane crash. There were several others...Grenada invasion, a tsunami, riots, plane crashes, etc. It got to where we would joke about the FBI wanting us to let them know if we were going on vacation.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:08 AM

569 posts, read 549,448 times
My parent just finished beating me for taking the last place in a school exam. And the successor CJK, of the Republic of China, died. CJK was the successor of CKS. And CKS was who led the Chinese fighting the WWII.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,232,392 times
When Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, I was in Las Vegas.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:46 AM

14,831 posts, read 11,956,228 times
I was in a seminar about terrorism and the subject at hand was a certain Osama Bin Laden on the very day of the attack on the twin towers, up until that point I had never even heard of him!

Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,931,406 times
MLK assassination--I was almost 8, & we were driving from East Memphis to my Daddy's business around the block from the Lorraine Motel. A couple of blocks from home, we heard about it on the car radio. Needless to say, Mama insisted we go back home. Daddy took us home, then went on to his shop. Took him quite a while to get back home that night.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:16 AM

51,618 posts, read 25,681,640 times
I and a friend were serving breakfast at her B&B on 9/11.

In the dining room, we were maintaining this facade of old world gracious elegance.

Back in the kitchen, we were horrified watching people jump from those burning buildings.

All quite bizarre. Often wondered what guests thought when they finally found out.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:09 AM

21,422 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
9/11...inside One World Trade Center at 8:46 a.m., carrying my just-purchased breakfast out of the cafeteria when the building suddenly slammed sideways. Threw food. Ran. Ran. Ran some more.

JFK - age 5, in the waiting room of the dentist. My mother and the nurse suddenly dashed over to a radio that had been playing. I wasn't sure what was happening, but it seemed bad enough that I hoped it meant I wouldn't have to see the dentist. No such luck.

MLK - my pet hamster had died that afternoon. I was heartbroken. My older brother came home and said Martin Luther King had been shot. She denies it now, but I clearly recall my mother saying, "I didn't really care for him anyway." I didn't know who he was. Sparky was dead, and that was all that mattered. At least I will always know what day my hamster died!
That's so true about your hampster. When you are young, the only thing you can think of is what directly affects you. I remember when John Lennon was killed because it was on the same day as my grandfather's funeral. I remember being a little upset that he was getting so much attention when my own grandfather should be getting some too. But in the end I always remember the date my grandfather died because of John Lennon.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:40 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,414,300 times
I was standing on the Brandenburg Gate the night they took down the Berlin wall and hauled it away.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I was standing on the Brandenburg Gate the night they took down the Berlin wall and hauled it away.
Really?? Because the Berlin Wall came down not in one night, but in bits and pieces, many pocketed by ordinary people using hammers or whatever they had to have a piece of history. Eventually the remains were removed, but it took considerably more than one night.

Do you mean you were there when the Wall was first opened so that people from East and West Berlin could pass freely from one side to the other? That happened well before the Wall itself came down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History