Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:58 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

I was in 3rd grade. We had just come back from lunch at 1:00. The teacher across the hall came to our room and told our teacher that the president had been shot. We had the only television in a school classroom and the teacher turned it on so we could watch the coverage. We found out later that afternoon that the president had died. I think we continued to do our regular school work and were not released early. For the next three days, the networks had nonstop coverage of the assassination and the funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 05:01 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I had just got home from school. I was watching TV and a bulletin came on saying Kennedy had been shot. A little while later we were told he had died. I remember my mother Was crying. My family is from Ireland and Kennedy was very popular in Ireland. I had met him and his wife when I was 10 when my family visited Cape Cod. I will never forget meeting them.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:02 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
For the next three days, the networks had nonstop coverage of the assassination and the funeral.

...and many NFL fans--to their eternal disgrace--protested when football was not played or broadcast during President Kennedy's funeral. Their priorities have always confounded me.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:13 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Depending on what year that was, my parents were in grade school or high school. I'll never be able to ask them because my dad's currently dead and my mom is out of her mind. If I ask my mom about her recollections of the JFK shooting she will start complaining about her sister. That's how all of our conversations go.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:15 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...and many NFL fans--to their eternal disgrace--protested when football was not played or broadcast during President Kennedy's funeral. Their priorities have always confounded me.
I remember that President Johnson declared Monday, November 25th to be a national day of mourning so school was cancelled. The burial was around 3:30 that afternoon, and I don't remember if regular television coverage resumed later that evening.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Where were you when you heard JFK had been assassinated?

Where were you when JFK was assassinated?

I guess we can be thankful it's not a "Who really killed JFK" thread.
Don't moderators tend to consolidate like topics?

Old 03-30-2016, 05:37 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I remember that President Johnson declared Monday, November 25th to be a national day of mourning so school was cancelled. The burial was around 3:30 that afternoon, and I don't remember if regular television coverage resumed later that evening.
Oh man..back then I watched coverages when ever I could..and what just hit my gut was watching LBJ being sworn in with Jacki standing beside him in same suit/blood spattered ( course it was Black and White TV back then..but those dark spots/smears was clearly visible..and the Look on Jackie'd face said it all to me

Sure I was a teenager and yes I am Canadian..So if my American friends here somehow do not believe we have no idea..or shouldn't have opinions regarding American Politics best understand..that even as a teenager (1963)..I knew what goes on below 49th Parallel affects me too! and I did then and still do NOW CARE

Same sense when JFK's brother "Bobby" got assassinated June 5th,1968 ( My brother's 25th Birthday) and believe me..Neither of us every forgot about either Assassination to this day

Old 03-30-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Oh man..back then I watched coverages when ever I could..and what just hit my gut was watching LBJ being sworn in with Jacki standing beside him in same suit/blood spattered ( course it was Black and White TV back then..but those dark spots/smears was clearly visible..and the Look on Jackie'd face said it all to me
What?! So many questions:

1) Was LBJ sworn in that very day?
2) Why did Jackie need to be there? Surely traumatized, she should have been granted reprieve from any public appearances and anything at all after what she'd just been through.
3) Why on earth would she still be wearing the blood-stained dress to a subsequent public appearance? We do not live in some third-world country where she could not change her clothes and go somewhere to rest.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Where were you when President Kennedy Was Assassinated? How did you find out?

I was not born yet. My Mother was not even a Year old yet (She was 8 months old) but My Grandmother said she was at home cleaning and the TV was on when a News Bulletin came on announcing that JFK had been shot in Dallas. My Grandfather was working and she called him him at work to tell him to turn on the TV.

My Mom was sleeping.

Where were you when President Diem of South Vietnam was assassinated, three weeks prior?

Old 03-30-2016, 06:04 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
What?! So many questions:

1) Was LBJ sworn in that very day?
2) Why did Jackie need to be there? Surely traumatized, she should have been granted reprieve from any public appearances and anything at all after what she'd just been through.
3) Why on earth would she still be wearing the blood-stained dress to a subsequent public appearance? We do not live in some third-world country where she could not change her clothes and go somewhere to rest.
1. Yes, he was sworn in right away on the plane. 2. Probably she wanted to be there. 3.The reason she wore that blood splattered dress was (loosely quoted) So that they could see what they had done.

When the news came over the radio I was in the drug store paying for a roll of scotch tape. All of a sudden the clerk told everyone to be quiet. Something came over the radio--I ignored it, paid for my tape, and walked home.

I sat at my desk to do my homework and at about 2:00 Walter Cronkite's voice came over the radio, something about President Kennedy seriously wounded, head shot. I thought, "If it's that bad, he would be better off dead than being like a vegetable." At about 2:10 the announcement came that he was dead.

That's where I was and that's how I found out. And after that everything changed for the worse. That was my generation's Coming of Age, our first shared experience with something really tragic that changed the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History