Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You're not saying Trump is "upper class" are you? Yeah he's a billionaire, but he's "one of us slobs" who proves that money doesn't have to make you forget where you came from.
He's 'one of us slobs' who never for a minute forgets that he came from:

*a developer worth hundreds of millions of dollars
*who sent his son to eastern prep schools
*and then to an Ivy League education
*before hiring him to work at the family company

You know - just like the rest of us slobs...

Now, I don't have a problem with candidates who come from old money or who had privileged upbringings. Those things are, frankly, irrelevant. I don't care if a candidate's father was a ditch-digger or a Rockefeller.

But don't try and tell us that Trump is anything but the very embodiment of Richie Rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 11:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
What happened? The educational system and the rise of single parenting on a mass level.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:45 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Because it is easier to fall than to climb. If the masses are convinced that it isn't worth the climb it becomes socially acceptable to be less than you can be.
Yes, and I believe it's largely in America where mediocrity is celebrated. Kids today are so inculcated with the "we are all equal and all the same and we are all deserving regardless of effort" mantra that standing out as possibly superior in any way can subject one to ridicule, especially in terms of manners and dress.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:13 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Good question. When I was growing up, the tasteful ladies who always wore gloves, walked their dogs on leashes, and didn't approve of eating at McDonald's were all Republicans. I'd love to see them at a Donald Trump rally. I can just imagine what they would think of his bombast and Melania's clothes (or lack thereof). They'd stroke out.
If he is elected I believe she will be the first First Lady to have posed nude. It would be interesting to see what their reaction to that would be. Also to the public sparring between candidates over the sizes of their "hands" and a GOP front-runner who had filed bankruptcy three times...all of the older Republicans I knew were big fiscal conservatives. Standards have certainly changed!

Old 04-15-2016, 06:14 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Yes, and I believe it's largely in America where mediocrity is celebrated. Kids today are so inculcated with the "we are all equal and all the same and we are all deserving regardless of effort" mantra that standing out as possibly superior in any way can subject one to ridicule, especially in terms of manners and dress.
To respond to this would require changing the discussion from history to politics and other controversies.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:14 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
He's 'one of us slobs' who never for a minute forgets that he came from:

*a developer worth hundreds of millions of dollars
*who sent his son to eastern prep schools
*and then to an Ivy League education
*before hiring him to work at the family company

You know - just like the rest of us slobs...

Now, I don't have a problem with candidates who come from old money or who had privileged upbringings. Those things are, frankly, irrelevant. I don't care if a candidate's father was a ditch-digger or a Rockefeller.

But don't try and tell us that Trump is anything but the very embodiment of Richie Rich.
This. Trump has the best advisors and, from what I understand, is a voracious reader (very atypical). He's a shrewd operator.

The American and British aristocracies (in various senses of the word) still very much exist. They've just been more or less lying low since the Great Depression for political/self-preservation reasons. They're no longer drivers of culture (ie patronising up and coming artists) so much as guardians of the fine arts. Culture is now driven by low brow/mass-cult/pop culture/etc (depending on the critic/social historian you prefer). Go out for a drink at the right lounge/bar/hotel in Palm Beach, the right block in Manhattan, or Oxford/Cambridge and you'll find them. They all know each other, so good luck

Last edited by Amelorn; 04-15-2016 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
stop this is the history forum!

Old 04-15-2016, 06:54 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
It was largely a myth fueled by 1930's movies when the masses wanted to see fancy people on the screen.
Right. To distract them from The Depression.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:29 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Good question. When I was growing up, the tasteful ladies who always wore gloves, walked their dogs on leashes, and didn't approve of eating at McDonald's were all Republicans. I'd love to see them at a Donald Trump rally. I can just imagine what they would think of his bombast and Melania's clothes (or lack thereof). They'd stroke out.

My mother wore gloves, was Republican (at least in her middle age and senior years), was always up to date on fashion, dressed well when going out to dinner or social functions. She also loved to walk the dogs off-leash at beaches in all weather; and loved McDonalds cheeseburgers. She passed away a few years ago; so I don't know what she would have thought of Trump as a candidate for president; but she did enjoy The Apprentice.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,636 times
The 14th duke of Bedford loved mcdonalds cheeseburgers too.hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History