Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:49 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,769,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Notice the dots over in Central Asia, in the area of Kazakhstan. Those are there because Stalin deported Germans there after WWII. There were Germans in the Baltic States, and he sent hundreds of thousands of Balts there as well as Germans, and there were Germans in Russia proper, as well. That's a little piece of history that gets overlooked. But there it is, on the map.
Actually, that came later (specifically in 1941). Rather, those dots over in Central Asia appear to depict this (possibly among other things):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennon...ments_of_Altai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The Tsar was dead before WWI ended.
Yep--due to the Bolsheviks.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:50 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,004,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

I've read that English became the "official" language of the Continental Congress, winning by a single vote over German, when two Pennsylvania Dutch reps were delayed by weather en route to the convention and didn't vote.
It seems this urban myth will never die.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
Yep.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 7,331,833 times
Quote:
I've read that English became the "official" language of the Continental Congress, winning by a single vote over German, when two Pennsylvania Dutch reps were delayed by weather en route to the convention and didn't vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
OK, the statements above piqued my curiousity.

It wasn't a vote in the Continental Congress, but rather a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives in 1794 that rejected a request by a group of German immigrants for some laws to be translated into German.

Muhlenberg Legend

Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,004,898 times
An examination of a roster of the different Continental Congresses turns up only a tiny number (like three or four) that even appear to have been of German descent. They were outnumbered by Dutch and French Huguenot descendants. The members were overwhelmingly of British extraction.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:00 PM

102,089 posts, read 107,180,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The Tsar was dead before WWI ended.
Of course, sorry. He began to deport Germans to the east during the war, and that process was followed by Stalin after he came to power. Then again, in the 40's. It was a surprise to me that the Tsar did that, but I suppose it can be understood as a wartime measure. Interesting that the US never rounded up German-Americans like they did the Japanese.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:38 AM

26,712 posts, read 22,332,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course, sorry. He began to deport Germans to the east during the war, and that process was followed by Stalin after he came to power. Then again, in the 40's. It was a surprise to me that the Tsar did that, but I suppose it can be understood as a wartime measure. Interesting that the US never rounded up German-Americans like they did the Japanese.
Never heard that one before.
The only thing I remember was that under Kathryn the Great ( I believe) Germans resettled in Russia had a great deal of privileges, the exempt from draft to the army including. One ( or two) tzars later ( was it Nickolas whatever number he was? Or Paul?) the privileges have been stripped from them, and that's when they started leaving en mass for the US.

But anyways, I came across this propagandist video from 1944, while looking up some information for the fans of the history of Moscow on FB.
We were talking about the exact place where German POWs were placed in Moscow before they were paraded in front of the Moscovites. They were in big numbers, ( 57,600) so I wondered where that could take place. It turned out to be Moscow's hippodrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC6oJURg6Pk

It's 9th of May in Russia after all, so they dig these little details.

Last edited by erasure; 05-09-2016 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 10:15 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,214,818 times
Quote:
I can verify that. My family, too, came to Chicago in 1914 (?15) from Enders, Ukraine, just north of the Black Sea. The whole town packed up and moved to Jefferson Park, Chicago. Family left behind wound up in Siberia.

When I took German in high school in the 60s, my teacher kept criticizing me for having a Russian accent. I guess I was unconsciously imitating my grandparents' speech.
We had some German neighbors in Kansas City from the Black Sea area of the Ukraine, town of Einlage. (I thought Enders was in Russia proper, on the Volga). Most ethnic Germans west of the Dnieper retreated to the west toward the end of WWII. When the Germans had first advanced through the area in 1941, they were encouraged to stay as Volksdeutsche as part of the eventual scheme to Germanize the Ukraine.

The Soviets removed many ethnic Germans east of the Dnieper and almost all of the Volga Germans to Siberia, but they weren't able to remove those further west because of the speed of the Blitzkrieg (except young men, see below). In 1943 and 1944, as the Soviets pushed back, the remaining ethnic Germans left with the retreating Wehrmacht. Apparently, only a portion (mostly working age men, according to our neighbors) of the Dnieper Germans were resettled in Siberian gulags by the Soviets after the start of Barbarossa but before the German invasion arrived in their town.

After the war ended, many Ukrainian Germans emigrated to North America -- some to the US and some to Canada.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
We had some German neighbors in Kansas City from the Black Sea area of the Ukraine, town of Einlage. (I thought Enders was in Russia proper, on the Volga). Most ethnic Germans west of the Dnieper retreated to the west toward the end of WWII. When the Germans had first advanced through the area in 1941, they were encouraged to stay as Volksdeutsche as part of the eventual scheme to Germanize the Ukraine.

The Soviets removed many ethnic Germans east of the Dnieper and almost all of the Volga Germans to Siberia, but they weren't able to remove those further west because of the speed of the Blitzkrieg (except young men, see below). In 1943 and 1944, as the Soviets pushed back, the remaining ethnic Germans left with the retreating Wehrmacht. Apparently, only a portion (mostly working age men, according to our neighbors) of the Dnieper Germans were resettled in Siberian gulags by the Soviets after the start of Barbarossa but before the German invasion arrived in their town.

After the war ended, many Ukrainian Germans emigrated to North America -- some to the US and some to Canada.
Thank you very much for sharing all of this information with us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History