U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2016, 07:59 AM
 
5,116 posts, read 4,484,667 times
Reputation: 4365

Advertisements

The entire point of having a federal district established for the nation's capital was so that no state government would be able to hold any power over the federal government. If there wasn't a federal district, then the police protection, civil laws, etc. would be provided by a state or municipal authority - Senators would be answerable to local judges and constables.

If the capital was to have remained in New York City, then the state of New York would have had to sell the city to the national government. Call me crazy, but I don't think that New York City's elite would have agreed to such a proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2016, 08:35 AM
 
28,906 posts, read 45,894,847 times
Reputation: 45903
Personally, I think they should move the nation's capital to some incredibly out-of-the-way place such as Hettinger, North Dakota. Erect some basic dormitories, have a decent cafeteria, and offer a rec room with pool tables and big screen television sets. Give them the kind of spartan furnishings you'd find on an Army base. Then forbid any other dwellings from being erected within a 20-mile radius.

That way, legislators would show up, do their business, and hurry home as fast as they could. Much better than being seduced by the trappings of a large and vibrant city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2016, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
14,704 posts, read 11,953,872 times
Reputation: 21287
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
With a few exceptions it has no life of its own other than tourism and government. Ever wonder why the politicians find other female amusement and why their families don't come?
so the politicians cheat out of boredom in Washington but not in NY.. well well .. no wonder they named it twice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 AM
 
9,985 posts, read 6,563,283 times
Reputation: 5604
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Personally, I think they should move the nation's capital to some incredibly out-of-the-way place such as Hettinger, North Dakota. Erect some basic dormitories, have a decent cafeteria, and offer a rec room with pool tables and big screen television sets. Give them the kind of spartan furnishings you'd find on an Army base. Then forbid any other dwellings from being erected within a 20-mile radius.

That way, legislators would show up, do their business, and hurry home as fast as they could. Much better than being seduced by the trappings of a large and vibrant city.

It's called Jackson Hole, Wyoming, where the "FED" runs the American financial programme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 AM
 
5,047 posts, read 4,841,232 times
Reputation: 9392
Maybe it should have remained in Brookeville, Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,084 posts, read 40,519,422 times
Reputation: 42160
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The entire point of having a federal district established for the nation's capital was so that no state government would be able to hold any power over the federal government. If there wasn't a federal district, then the police protection, civil laws, etc. would be provided by a state or municipal authority - Senators would be answerable to local judges and constables.

If the capital was to have remained in New York City, then the state of New York would have had to sell the city to the national government. Call me crazy, but I don't think that New York City's elite would have agreed to such a proposal.



There was that. There was also the negotiating between free and slave states about the location as well as the takeover of state debt that was mentioned.


I don't think the OP realizes that in 1787 New York was not really in the same league for influence (meaning below) as Philadelphia and, arguably, Boston. If anything, one of those should have been the capital, with Philadelphia first.


Also, someone whose initials are GW owned land in both Arlington, VA and what was then Georgetown, Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
11,559 posts, read 11,917,335 times
Reputation: 18025
I think we should move the national capital to Oklahoma City or somewhere else in the midwest. Having it in the East is one reason why the government is so out of touch with the nation. It should be near the geographic center of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2016, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,791 posts, read 58,391,218 times
Reputation: 52894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Would we have been better off if the capital remained in a real city rather than the fake city that Washington, DC largely is?
Your "argument" has no relation to the function of the modern government. New York was once just as "fake" of a city as Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Does this make sense to anyone?
As much sense as the original premise presented in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Status: "POTUS Trump promises - not hot air" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: New York Area
14,235 posts, read 5,633,401 times
Reputation: 11331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
During WWII, the Constitution an the Declaration of Independence were moved to Fort Knox in Kentucky for safe keeping.

Based on your own argument, the capital of the United States should have been moved to Kentucky since the government moved documents there. That's a special kind of logic you've got there.
The papers were moved to NYC by Lincoln not for museum or display purposes but for use in a functioning government if Washington, DC became unusable by virtue of war. There is a huge difference but any member of Mensa should understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
the actual capital of the USA is in a hollow spherical body that orbits the earth, also known as the moon.
Does this make sense to anyone?
As much sense as the original premise presented in this thread.
I had meant this as a serious thread. So hold the comparison to "hollow spherical bodies" or whatever.

When I visit Washington, as I will from June 5-7, I always come away with the impression that the city is under the total domination of working politician, and mobs of tourists or conventioneers with little connection to or stake in the city. The latter is what the former sees every day.

If New York were the capital the working people of the country would be in sight. In Washington they are out of sight, out of mind. Discussions such as they are focus on bathrooms and greenhouse gases, not the concerns of people meeting a paycheck or balancing a budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2016, 03:55 PM
 
28,906 posts, read 45,894,847 times
Reputation: 45903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
It's called Jackson Hole, Wyoming, where the "FED" runs the American financial programme.
I've been to Jackson Hole. With its tony restaurants, spectacular scenery and fantastic skiing, it's hardly a hardship post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top