U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,113,528 times

Advertisements

The battle rages on. New York or Washington DC. CD folks have a lot of time on their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Status: "POTUS Trump promises - not hot air" (set 8 days ago)

14,314 posts, read 5,657,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
No.

The main principle of the US Constitution is checks and balances, separation of powers, or what I like to call diffusion of power, over several layers of government and geographically.

Many state capitals, if not the majority, are also in minor cities in comparison to the city where economic power is concentrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossiblyIndecisive View Post
One city being given that level of political, cultural and economic dominance over a country isn't necessarily a healthy situation. The disproportionate amount of power London wields over here has long been a cause for division. Germany seem to have a healthy balance with a few major cities enjoying dominance in different areas.
At the time Philadelphia was actually a larger city. One of the functions of a capital is to house other countries' embassies. New York would be a far better place for that. As a practical matter New York has remained the psychological capital of the country. As Abigail Adams said of Philadelphia, the successor temporary capital "it isn't Broadway."

Old 02-09-2019, 11:24 AM

121 posts, read 13,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
At the time Philadelphia was actually a larger city. One of the functions of a capital is to house other countries' embassies. New York would be a far better place for that. As a practical matter New York has remained the psychological capital of the country. As Abigail Adams said of Philadelphia, the successor temporary capital "it isn't Broadway."
The centre of NYC is one of the most densely built up places in the world, and also one of the most bustling. The primary concern for embassies is security, the more hectic the surroundings the more difficult that becomes.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is a burning issue to anyone other than yourself. Most people seem perfectly fine with DC being the capital.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 AM

53,177 posts, read 52,304,759 times
Quote:
The centre of NYC is one of the most densely built up places in the world, and also one of the most bustling. The primary concern for embassies is security, the more hectic the surroundings the more difficult that becomes.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is a burning issue to anyone other than yourself. Most people seem perfectly fine with DC being the capital.
There was once a comedian who said, "Every other city in the US would be thrilled to have their President visit. Not New York. The President shows up, and everyone complains about the traffic."

There is truth to this!

It would be so much more crowded and messy and hard to get around than it is now if NYC was our capital. Leave it where it is.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:

I go to the capital once a year for AJC Global Forum. It is boooring.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 AM

121 posts, read 13,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I go to the capital once a year for AJC Global Forum. It is boooring.
Such a compelling argument, you've swayed me.

Relocate the President and his staff to Trump Tower. The White House can become a museum.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Such a compelling argument, you've swayed me.

Relocate the President and his staff to Trump Tower. The White House can become a museum.
I'm possibly indecisive. May be a good solution.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 PM

4,616 posts, read 1,890,667 times
No. Because no country should have all its economic and political power concentrated in one place.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 PM

4,524 posts, read 1,767,122 times
For many years, and among many of the states, there has been a desire and priority to centrally locate capitols. So based on modern America, a central location of Nebraska makes more sense than east coast. But relocate all the nonsense and foolishness there.... no. It's pointless now.

NYC is already the largest city. They don't need to have the capital as well.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM

4,616 posts, read 1,890,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
For many years, and among many of the states, there has been a desire and priority to centrally locate capitols. So based on modern America, a central location of Nebraska makes more sense than east coast. But relocate all the nonsense and foolishness there.... no. It's pointless now.

NYC is already the largest city. They don't need to have the capital as well.

I actually have offered a variation on this theory: White Butte, South Dakota.

Feast your eyes on what it looks like: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.9404...!7i3328!8i1664

Now. Here are the rules:

We build five buildings. The Capitol, a dormitory for the House, a dormitory for the Senate, a dormitory for foreign embassies, and a nice 4,500 square foot residence for the President. Each building would have a cafeteria that served decent chow, a library, a rec hall with ping pong tables and the like, and maybe a swimming pool. No golf courses. Install a few Pac Man machines if everyone behaves themselves. Allow one poorly-stocked liquor store on the corner.

That's it. Further, no other building could be built within a fifty-mile radius. No chi-chi restaurants. No office buildings for lobbyists. No recreation facilities.

Oh, and all legislative sessions must be held in the dead of winter.

The purpose? Make it so that the nation's capitol is the most boring possible place in the world to do business. So that people who are elected to public office can't wait to leave. They meet, submit bills, debate, vote, and then get the hell out of there. By law, they have to return to their state or district and stay there for 30 days after the end of a congressional session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or