Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

In or about 1785 New York City became the capital under the Articles of Confederation. When Washington was inaugurated on April 30, 1789 the people involved came to New York's Federal Hall where the inauguration was delivered from the balcony. Three blocks away three out of the four Cabinet departments met at Fraunces Tavern. Those were, I believe, Treasury, War and one I forget.

People seemed happy with NYC as the capital. Philadelphia, the next temporary capital, didn't work out so well. There were constant evacuations to the countryside because of yellow fever. Heat was a real problem. The start in Washington, DC was even rougher.

It seems like a city for tourists and government, end of subject. Yes, there have been some universities that have created a semblance of other life. And one little-known footnote. Abe Lincoln ordered the removal of sensitive government papers to NYC when the war wasn't going so well for the Union. And now, NYC is the capital of the world.

Would we have been better off if the capital remained in a real city rather than the fake city that Washington, DC largely is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 03:48 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
That NYC is the capital of the world is strictly your opinion. As far as people seeming happy with NYC as the capital, some were and some weren't, unless you have a source that indicates an overwhelming level of support for keeping the capital there. There were not constant evacuations from Philadelphia, there were a couple, and the heat is just a little higher than NY, they're only 90 miles apart. The move to Washington was part of a compromise to Southern states in exchange for national assumption of state debt. Plenty of slaveholders made good money renting out their slaves to build DC.

So, in the spirit of yet another 'what if' thread, Who knows?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
That NYC is the capital of the world is strictly your opinion.
If not New York what city is? We have the U.N. and its associated consulates. In what city of the world are more languages spoken?

Quote:
As far as people seeming happy with NYC as the capital, some were and some weren't, unless you have a source that indicates an overwhelming level of support for keeping the capital there.
What indications do you have that people were unhappy with New York as the capital?

Quote:
There were not constant evacuations from Philadelphia, there were a couple, and the heat is just a little higher than NY, they're only 90 miles apart.
Abigail Adams, among others, considered Philadelphia unhealthy and couldn't or wouldn't move there. That seems not to have occurred with New York. And I believe ever summer there was an evacuation from Philadelphia. There was no reason to move the temporary capital other than a fear that it could become permanent as, according to several books I have read New York was always a strong candidate for permanency.

Quote:
The move to Washington was part of a compromise to Southern states in exchange for national assumption of state debt. Plenty of slaveholders made good money renting out their slaves to build DC.
The South never seems to have been satisfied with northern surrenders, dressed up as compromises. Finally they seceded.

Quote:
So, in the spirit of yet another 'what if' thread, Who knows?
Can you argue with the fact that the government moved papers back to New York during the Civil War? And can you argue with the fact that many governmental functions, most notably the Post Office (the largest department at the time) remained in New York and never moved to Philadelphia or, perhaps until modern times Washington?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Why is Washington, DC a "fake city"?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Why is Washington, DC a "fake city"?
With a few exceptions it has no life of its own other than tourism and government. Ever wonder why the politicians find other female amusement and why their families don't come?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If not New York what city is? We have the U.N. and its associated consulates. In what city of the world are more languages spoken?

As far as I know, there is no world capital, so to name New York so is strictly your opinion.

What indications do you have that people were unhappy with New York as the capital?

They moved it.

But I notice that you did not provide a source indicating people's satisfaction with NY as capital, so I'll assume you don't have one.

Abigail Adams, among others, considered Philadelphia unhealthy and couldn't or wouldn't move there. That seems not to have occurred with New York. And I believe ever summer there was an evacuation from Philadelphia. There was no reason to move the temporary capital other than a fear that it could become permanent as, according to several books I have read New York was always a strong candidate for permanency.

Philadelphia was the second largest city in the country in 1790 so obviously people lived there and survived, including Abigail Adams who lived there during part of her time as first lady. It was in 1790 that it was decided to move the capital to its current location, so I'm not sure what your point is about fears of a permanent capital.

btw, people still evacuate Philadelphia in the summer and head to the Jersey Shore.

The South never seems to have been satisfied with northern surrenders, dressed up as compromises. Finally they seceded.

OK.

Can you argue with the fact that the government moved papers back to New York during the Civil War? And can you argue with the fact that many governmental functions, most notably the Post Office (the largest department at the time) remained in New York and never moved to Philadelphia or, perhaps until modern times Washington?

Why would I argue with that? New York was further from the Confederacy, and thus a safer place to store things than DC or Philadelphia.
Again, NY didn't remain the capital, or even the temporary capital, so speculation on whether NY should have remained the capital is, well, speculation.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Again, NY didn't remain the capital, or even the temporary capital, so speculation on whether NY should have remained the capital is, well, speculation.
You are free to start a thread on almost any subject that interests you.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM

Thanks, but I don't need your permission.

And when I do start threads, I don't get all snippy if somebody doesn't simply validate my position.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't need your permission.

And when I do start threads, I don't get all snippy if somebody doesn't simply validate my position.
Nor do I.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
the actual capital of the USA is in a hollow spherical body that orbits the earth, also known as the moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History