U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,412 posts, read 5,207,027 times
Reputation: 10758

Advertisements

In or about 1785 New York City became the capital under the Articles of Confederation. When Washington was inaugurated on April 30, 1789 the people involved came to New York's Federal Hall where the inauguration was delivered from the balcony. Three blocks away three out of the four Cabinet departments met at Fraunces Tavern. Those were, I believe, Treasury, War and one I forget.

People seemed happy with NYC as the capital. Philadelphia, the next temporary capital, didn't work out so well. There were constant evacuations to the countryside because of yellow fever. Heat was a real problem. The start in Washington, DC was even rougher.

It seems like a city for tourists and government, end of subject. Yes, there have been some universities that have created a semblance of other life. And one little-known footnote. Abe Lincoln ordered the removal of sensitive government papers to NYC when the war wasn't going so well for the Union. And now, NYC is the capital of the world.

Would we have been better off if the capital remained in a real city rather than the fake city that Washington, DC largely is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2016, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
5,410 posts, read 9,560,672 times
Reputation: 8577
That NYC is the capital of the world is strictly your opinion. As far as people seeming happy with NYC as the capital, some were and some weren't, unless you have a source that indicates an overwhelming level of support for keeping the capital there. There were not constant evacuations from Philadelphia, there were a couple, and the heat is just a little higher than NY, they're only 90 miles apart. The move to Washington was part of a compromise to Southern states in exchange for national assumption of state debt. Plenty of slaveholders made good money renting out their slaves to build DC.

So, in the spirit of yet another 'what if' thread, Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,412 posts, read 5,207,027 times
Reputation: 10758
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
That NYC is the capital of the world is strictly your opinion.
If not New York what city is? We have the U.N. and its associated consulates. In what city of the world are more languages spoken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
As far as people seeming happy with NYC as the capital, some were and some weren't, unless you have a source that indicates an overwhelming level of support for keeping the capital there.
What indications do you have that people were unhappy with New York as the capital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
There were not constant evacuations from Philadelphia, there were a couple, and the heat is just a little higher than NY, they're only 90 miles apart.
Abigail Adams, among others, considered Philadelphia unhealthy and couldn't or wouldn't move there. That seems not to have occurred with New York. And I believe ever summer there was an evacuation from Philadelphia. There was no reason to move the temporary capital other than a fear that it could become permanent as, according to several books I have read New York was always a strong candidate for permanency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The move to Washington was part of a compromise to Southern states in exchange for national assumption of state debt. Plenty of slaveholders made good money renting out their slaves to build DC.
The South never seems to have been satisfied with northern surrenders, dressed up as compromises. Finally they seceded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
So, in the spirit of yet another 'what if' thread, Who knows?
Can you argue with the fact that the government moved papers back to New York during the Civil War? And can you argue with the fact that many governmental functions, most notably the Post Office (the largest department at the time) remained in New York and never moved to Philadelphia or, perhaps until modern times Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 PM
 
4,554 posts, read 2,022,675 times
Reputation: 5980
Why is Washington, DC a "fake city"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 06:22 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,412 posts, read 5,207,027 times
Reputation: 10758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Why is Washington, DC a "fake city"?
With a few exceptions it has no life of its own other than tourism and government. Ever wonder why the politicians find other female amusement and why their families don't come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
5,410 posts, read 9,560,672 times
Reputation: 8577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If not New York what city is? We have the U.N. and its associated consulates. In what city of the world are more languages spoken?

As far as I know, there is no world capital, so to name New York so is strictly your opinion.

What indications do you have that people were unhappy with New York as the capital?

They moved it.

But I notice that you did not provide a source indicating people's satisfaction with NY as capital, so I'll assume you don't have one.


Abigail Adams, among others, considered Philadelphia unhealthy and couldn't or wouldn't move there. That seems not to have occurred with New York. And I believe ever summer there was an evacuation from Philadelphia. There was no reason to move the temporary capital other than a fear that it could become permanent as, according to several books I have read New York was always a strong candidate for permanency.

Philadelphia was the second largest city in the country in 1790 so obviously people lived there and survived, including Abigail Adams who lived there during part of her time as first lady. It was in 1790 that it was decided to move the capital to its current location, so I'm not sure what your point is about fears of a permanent capital.

btw, people still evacuate Philadelphia in the summer and head to the Jersey Shore.


The South never seems to have been satisfied with northern surrenders, dressed up as compromises. Finally they seceded.

OK.

Can you argue with the fact that the government moved papers back to New York during the Civil War? And can you argue with the fact that many governmental functions, most notably the Post Office (the largest department at the time) remained in New York and never moved to Philadelphia or, perhaps until modern times Washington?

Why would I argue with that? New York was further from the Confederacy, and thus a safer place to store things than DC or Philadelphia.
Again, NY didn't remain the capital, or even the temporary capital, so speculation on whether NY should have remained the capital is, well, speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,412 posts, read 5,207,027 times
Reputation: 10758
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Again, NY didn't remain the capital, or even the temporary capital, so speculation on whether NY should have remained the capital is, well, speculation.
You are free to start a thread on almost any subject that interests you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
5,410 posts, read 9,560,672 times
Reputation: 8577
Thanks, but I don't need your permission.

And when I do start threads, I don't get all snippy if somebody doesn't simply validate my position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 07:05 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,412 posts, read 5,207,027 times
Reputation: 10758
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Thanks, but I don't need your permission.

And when I do start threads, I don't get all snippy if somebody doesn't simply validate my position.
Nor do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 PM
 
1,278 posts, read 831,761 times
Reputation: 1312
the actual capital of the USA is in a hollow spherical body that orbits the earth, also known as the moon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top