Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Riding a bike in a dress?
Women and girls have been riding bikes in dresses since bikes were invented.

Go to Amsterdam sometime. Most people commute to work by bicycle, including women in skirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:53 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Women and girls have been riding bikes in dresses since bikes were invented.
Vintage Cycling Clothing

Old 06-03-2016, 03:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
When I was kid I considered taking a job as a paperboy but I quickly concluded it took too much time and effort for the money. I made much more supplying weapons to the local thugs. I did not tell my step father who considered me his slave. I was not a very good slave after I got big enough to fight back.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
In the 40s, we lived 2 miles out of town in the country. Our large ranch was at the end of the road. There were quite a few homes, between our home and town. Our paper box at the end of our drive was at least 1/4th of a mile from the next closest house.

We had a papergirl, and we got the evening edition of the paper (they had two one morning and one evening. Actually two different papers with two different names put out by the same office). She was 2 years older than I and her sister who was my age, and in my classes in school. When she went to high school, she got a job as our paper girl. She was in my opinion the nicest and most beautiful girl in town. I would often wait at the box for her to deliver the paper as I got a few minutes to visit with her as she took a brief rest before heading back to her home.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Why ask why? Cuz! That's why.

I stayed with my aunt in RI and there was an icee man who sold this amazing lemon ice stuff! WOW that was good. And my (boy) cousin had a paper route. I talked my way into going with him and promptly had to go potty. He told me how to get home - no clue. Got lost.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:34 PM

387 posts, read 554,788 times
Just having a little fun

But for anyone who is interested, a fascinating paper on the social history of social movements and the bicycle

https://thinkingaboutcycling.com/soc...d-the-bicycle/

Old 06-03-2016, 08:16 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Riding a bike in a dress?

In case you missed it there have been two styles of bikes almost since the things were invented. Those with the bar going across and those without. The latter was meant for females to accommodate the long skirts worn at that time.

In the Victorian era (when cycling took off for both sexes) it was deemed improper for women to wear pants. Even various bloomers or whatever were considered suspect (though available and the name came from a woman named Bloomer), so proper ladies often wore skirts when bike riding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloome...s_and_bicycles

Never the less yes, females wore and still do wear skirts when bike riding. Some then and now consider it immodest females both young and whatever took to the freedom of bike riding and there was no going back.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:23 PM

366 posts, read 432,932 times
I was a papergirl for two years in the mid 80s. The majority of paper delivery was yes, done by boys.

I remember having to go straight home from school to roll papers, load them on my bike, and have them delivered by 5 pm. My town, at the time, had no Sunday edition but I had to be up at the crack of dawn every Saturday morning to get the Saturday paper delivery done.

This job of mine meant that my parents could not go out of town unless I found a substitute for myself...which was an ordeal, but it taught me responsibility and the value of money very early in life.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:50 PM

387 posts, read 554,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In case you missed it there have been two styles of bikes almost since the things were invented. Those with the bar going across and those without. The latter was meant for females to accommodate the long skirts worn at that time.

In the Victorian era (when cycling took off for both sexes) it was deemed improper for women to wear pants. Even various bloomers or whatever were considered suspect (though available and the name came from a woman named Bloomer), so proper ladies often wore skirts when bike riding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloome...s_and_bicycles

Never the less yes, females wore and still do wear skirts when bike riding. Some then and now consider it immodest females both young and whatever took to the freedom of bike riding and there was no going back.
Umm...see the post above yours?

Old 06-04-2016, 01:16 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivias View Post
Back when Paperboys were still a thing why was it far more common to see boys doing it than girls? Seems like a girl could stand giving out papers or riding a bike delivering them as well as a boy could.
Why was my brother provided with a quarter midget to race and I was expected to just cheer him on? Not that he wasn't a good quarter midget racer—he was—but my overall reflexes are better and faster, even against him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History