Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 04:44 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Yeah, and I have been doing so since 1965. I run into kids once in a while who think they're hot stuff, I am amused.
Yeah. I'm sure they got it from their teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 04:45 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
I don't teach. They couldn't afford me.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
I don't teach. They couldn't afford me.
I guess they were just lucky.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My dad was stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska in 1941. He said after December 7th the West Coast was so open to invasion that the Canadian Army shifted several hundred thousand of their troops into the BC area.
While it is true that there was fear that the Japanese would threaten CONUS, in fact they never had the capability. Just striking Hawaii and seizing a couple of small and barren Aleutian Islands one thousand miles from mainland Alaska stretched them to the limits of their logistical tether. And they absolutely did not have the troops to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
For the benefit of the Japanese. In turn, Hitler was counting on the Japanese to invade the ussr.
Quote:
I doubt Hitler had such a motive.
Right.

Hitler had hoped for war between the USSR and Japan, but after those two countries concluded a neutrality pact in April 1941 - long before Pearl Harbor and the subsequent German declaration of War on the United States - he had accepted that it would not happen.

Part of Hitler's calculation was to encourage Japanese action, assuming that if the United States found itself involved in both the European and Pacific Wars, Japan - knowing that the U.S. was splitting its resources between the two theaters - would be freer to act. Specifically, he wanted Japan to attack and take Singapore. Hitler felt that once that happened, India would be in peril, and that Britain, faced with losing India or agreeing to terms with Germany, would choose the latter. Of course, he was wrong. Singapore fell, India did not, and Britain never choose one over the other (defending India v. continuing the war with Germany).

Old 07-11-2016, 03:45 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Interesting that both Germany and Japan seemed to think that if they inflicted enough pain early on in the war, that Britain and/or the US would go for a negotiated settlement. I would think the example of WWI, only a few years earlier, would be just one reason to think this is a flawed strategy.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Interesting that both Germany and Japan seemed to think that if they inflicted enough pain early on in the war, that Britain and/or the US would go for a negotiated settlement. I would think the example of WWI, only a few years earlier, would be just one reason to think this is a flawed strategy.
I did a study on the reasons the Kaiser and Herr Schickelgruber decided to go to war with the US. In both cases they had rationalized the decision by declaring that they could beat all their current enemies before the US could make our weight felt.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
I did a study on the reasons the Kaiser and Herr Schickelgruber decided to go to war with the US. In both cases they had rationalized the decision by declaring that they could beat all their current enemies before the US could make our weight felt.
Did it seem to you that they really thought this, or just wishful thinking? Of course you said they were "rationalizing" so maybe there is my answer.

What kills me about this is even if for whatever reason Britain and the USSR both went for negotiated settlements in 1942, and even with Japan is doing all it could, (and I think they did, in reality), I don't see a success path for Germany, unless the US just got tired of fighting.

Although, as usual "what if" is more complicated than it first appears. If Britain and the USSR had negotiated settlements, that would have taken some of the reasons the US had for participating off the table...

Old 07-11-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Did it seem to you that they really thought this, or just wishful thinking? Of course you said they were "rationalizing" so maybe there is my answer.
Hitler's decision was solo, the German General Staff provided input to the Kaiser and his cabinet, which meant the GGS decided.
Quote:
What kills me about this is even if for whatever reason Britain and the USSR both went for negotiated settlements in 1942, and even with Japan is doing all it could, (and I think they did, in reality), I don't see a success path for Germany, unless the US just got tired of fighting.

Although, as usual "what if" is more complicated than it first appears. If Britain and the USSR had negotiated settlements, that would have taken some of the reasons the US had for participating off the table...
Germany declared war on us. Hitler would have to find a way out of that.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:16 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
The authors of Shattered Sword note that if the Japanese had won at Midway they would have still lost the war, and that if the US had lost at Midway they would have still won the war.

Hitler amazes me sometimes:

Germany, population ~80,000,000

US + USSR, population ~310,000,000. When the UK and Commonwealth are added, plus all the other nations that joined the UN, the odds were worse than 5 to 1 against Germany.
When Germany declared war on the U.S., the UK was virtually knocked out of the war and bankrupt. The USSR appeared to be on the brink of collapse with German troops at the gates of Moscow and Leningrad. The U.S. Army was small and weak, and rebuilding. We were still 2 years away from sending armies overseas. Hitler knew this, and bet that he would defeat the USSR before U.S. forces could become a threat. Germany was already at war basically with the U.S. in the Atlantic. So Hitler's decision to declare war on the U.S. was not all that crazy.

There's lots of talk about endless UK/Commonwealth manpower, but in reality the British only fielded 5 million troops throughout WW2. That is smaller than the Austro-Hungarian army in WW1. Further, the British did not have enough tanks, planes, or equipment to supply such a large army until U.S. aide escalated later in the war. Aside from smaller campaigns in N. Africa and the Middle East, the British forces were mostly stuck in Britain until D-Day. This idea that they could field 50 million troops is pure fantasy.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:12 AM

The UK wasn't bankrupt, she was short on cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History