U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:22 AM

12,171 posts, read 19,738,099 times

Advertisements

Im not a stupid person,but it really is confusing to me.With Kosovo gaining independance I was trying to understand just who and what everbody is?

What is Kosovo?
What is Croatia?
What is Serbia?
Who are the KLA?
Who are the Serbs?
Who are the Bosnians?

Who is fighting who and what religion are each of them?

Yugoslavia use to be a combined country right?

Seriously,it's confusing to me.

What does Albania have to do with it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 AM

13,036 posts, read 23,200,662 times
You don't ask for much then! One of the most complex geo-political topic of the last few hundreds years !

I won't try to explain in my own words, as I am not an expert and even the people concerned themselves seem pretty confused. I have friends from different regions and they seem none the wiser either.

It all started with the Ottoman Empire then the Hapsburg came into it and rising Nationalism, two world wars and various seemingly endless conflicts and political squabbles have shaped the region into one big confusing mass of countries, ethnic groups and religious factions.

Think of it as one of the most varied ethnic mix in Europe , all with different beliefs, national identities and rivalries and historical scores to settle. Add a bit of very bad foreign policies from some of the strongest players in European history and you have it !

The sites below are quite good.

BBC NEWS | History File | Yugoslavia & The Balkans | 1900 - 1998
Twenty-Five Lectures on Modern Balkan History (http://www.lib.msu.edu/sowards/balkan/ - broken link)
The principles of Ottoman rule in the Balkans (http://www.lib.msu.edu/sowards/balkan/lecture3.html - broken link)

Sorry that's the best I can do ! Good luck.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,073,208 times
I took a class in this very subject but still couldn't explain everything without having a tangent go off here and there...maybe you should pick up a few books on the subject? Just a suggestion.

Good links Mooseketeer.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,794,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You don't ask for much then! One of the most complex geo-political topic of the last few hundreds years !

I won't try to explain in my own words, as I am not an expert and even the people concerned themselves seem pretty confused. I have friends from different regions and they seem none the wiser either.

It all started with the Ottoman Empire then the Hapsburg came into it and rising Nationalism, two world wars and various seemingly endless conflicts and political squabbles have shaped the region into one big confusing mass of countries, ethnic groups and religious factions.

Think of it as one of the most varied ethnic mix in Europe , all with different beliefs, national identities and rivalries and historical scores to settle. Add a bit of very bad foreign policies from some of the strongest players in European history and you have it !

The sites below are quite good.

BBC NEWS | History File | Yugoslavia & The Balkans | 1900 - 1998
Twenty-Five Lectures on Modern Balkan History (http://www.lib.msu.edu/sowards/balkan/ - broken link)
The principles of Ottoman rule in the Balkans (http://www.lib.msu.edu/sowards/balkan/lecture3.html - broken link)

Sorry that's the best I can do ! Good luck.
Excellent links moosketeer...and I would also suggest that those interested in Tha Balkans read about the Genocide of The Armenians by The Ottoman

Turks: Armenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Armenia is the only Christian country in the near/middle east and has had a similar sad past shared only by The Jews.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 AM

13,036 posts, read 23,200,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
Excellent links moosketeer...and I would also suggest that those interested in Tha Balkans read about the Genocide of The Armenians by The Ottoman

Turks: Armenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Armenia is the only Christian country in the near/middle east and has had a similar sad past shared only by The Jews.
Thanks for the link UncleBatz!

The Armenian genocide will forever be on of Europe's most shameful chapter and yet so many people are blissfully ignorant of it. And so many people still even refuse to accept it. It's really appalling.

I had quite a few Armenian friends at school in France ( a lot of Armenian people took refuge in France in 1915 and in the mid 20s ( including Charles Aznavour's family) and I heard such terrible stories.

I was lucky to visit over 20 years ago and I loved it. Great food, lovely people and some wonderful historical sites too.

I wish this beautiful country and its people the best future.

I would recommend this book if anyone is interested in the Armenian Genocide :

The History of the Armenian Genocide: Ethnic Conflict from the Balkans to Anatolia to the Caucasus by Vahakn N. Dadrian

And this for an overview of the Balkans :

The Balkans, 1804-1999: Nationalism, War and the Great Powers by Misha Glenny

Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM

14,363 posts, read 24,053,484 times
Here are some links to learn more about some of the questions you posed.

Croatia Myth&Reality: Croatia and the Croatians (http://wap.macedonia.org/myth/croatians.html - broken link)
The Black Hand
Yugoblunder - What Foreign Policy | Albanian American Civic League
Milosevic and Operation Horseshoe | World news | The Observer

Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,648,616 times
Default in a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

What is Kosovo?
What is Croatia?
What is Serbia?
Who are the KLA?
Who are the Serbs?
Who are the Bosnians?
What is Kosovo? - Essentially 90% Albanian. Delusioned, romantic Serbs claim it's their homeland.

What is Croatia? - Home of Roman Catholic Slavs, speak Serbo-Croatian, don't like Serbs.

What is Serbia? - Land of the Serbs.

Who are the KLA? - Kosovo Albanians fighting for their independence.

Who are the Serbs? - Orthodox Slavs, speak Serbo-Croatian. Dislike anyone they can't rule over, are a patron-state of Russia.

Who are the Bosnians? - Historically persecuted, Muslim Slavs.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM

14,363 posts, read 24,053,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
What is Kosovo? - Essentially 90% Albanian. Delusioned, romantic Serbs claim it's their homeland.

What is Croatia? - Home of Roman Catholic Slavs, speak Serbo-Croatian, don't like Serbs.

What is Serbia? - Land of the Serbs.

Who are the KLA? - Kosovo Albanians fighting for their independence.

Who are the Serbs? - Orthodox Slavs, speak Serbo-Croatian. Dislike anyone they can't rule over, are a patron-state of Russia.

Who are the Bosnians? - Historically persecuted, Muslim Slavs.
That is possibly the most accurate "Cliffs Notes" explanation I have yet seen. Bravo and + points for you!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:06 PM

4,459 posts, read 7,047,741 times
The Balkans include all of what was the former Yugoslavia- Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, etc
plus Albania, Bulgaria and Romania.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,956,188 times
So the Bosnian Muslims are also a Slavic ethnicity and not an Islamic one? I usually associate Islamic ethnicities as Arabics, Persians, Turks, Pakistnais, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History