Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 01:20 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,356,728 times

Advertisements

Before all of today's crime solving methods and technology how were crimes like murders and others solved if there were no eye witnesses?

It seems to me that had someone committed a murder in 1850 they could easily get away with it if there was no eye witness. I mean,did they understand and know how to collect finger prints back then? If the murder's blood and other DNA was left at the scene what good could law enforcement make of it back then for solving the murder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 01:26 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
https://www.google.com/#q=How+to+solve+a+crime+in+1800

Old 09-03-2016, 01:33 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
They never caught Jack the Ripper, on the other hand, with modern forensics available, they never caught the Zodiac Killer.

Lots of people were getting convicted of crimes, 164,000 convicts were transported to the Australian colonies between 1788 and 1868.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:38 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Find someone who was poor, unpopular, or known to cause trouble and blame them. Trial and conviction, problem seemingly solved, public appeased!

Old 09-03-2016, 01:42 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,356,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Lots of people were getting convicted of crimes, 164,000 convicts were transported to the Australian colonies between 1788 and 1868.
How reliable were those convictions back then?

Old 09-03-2016, 01:45 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,286 times
I was just reading this link today regarding the first 1800s toxicological forensic case from France. It's a little lengthy, but entertaining.

Marie Lafarge | encyclopedia article by TheFreeDictionary

Old 09-03-2016, 02:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How reliable were those convictions back then?
Until the 1820's, the Bloody Code was in operation in Great Britain. It made a capital crime out of not only murder or treason, but featured a total of 222 offenses which could get you hanged. It included such crimes as damaging Westminster Bridge, being in the company of a gypsy for more than one month, begging without a license, general poaching and impersonating someone else for purposes of collecting a pension.

The executions were gruesome and attracted huge crowds, but only about ten percent of those convicted to die actually wound up dead at the hands of the state. The choice was provided...execution or transportation to a penal colony. So if you didn't feel like hanging because you impersonated a pensioner, you opted for Australia or one of the sugar colonies.

I've no way of knowing how reliable the convictions were, that would have to be studied on a case by case basis. I don't think forensics were needed to establish that someone had been in company of a gypsy for a month, so I guess such cases relied on witnesses.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Before all of today's crime solving methods and technology how were crimes like murders and others solved if there were no eye witnesses?

It seems to me that had someone committed a murder in 1850 they could easily get away with it if there was no eye witness. I mean,did they understand and know how to collect finger prints back then? If the murder's blood and other DNA was left at the scene what good could law enforcement make of it back then for solving the murder?
Eye witnesses are not necessarily reliable. You can ask 10 people who saw the same event, and you'll get 10 versions.

They solved crimes by detective work. They called it footwork. They worked the crime scene, collected evidence, interviewed witnesses, gathered facts and data, took tips from the public. Same as now. They just didn't have the high tech part to seal he deal. You can't run DNA if you don't have a suspect in the first place.

To be sure, more criminals got away, and more innocent people were convicted, I'm sure, than now. Jack the Ripper was never caught, but it's likely he would've been caught if he had done those deeds these days. But not much different than if he had committed his murders a few decades ago. OTOH, the Boston Strangler was caught w/o techie backup. He was caught using footwork, culminating in a confession after arrest (although there are those who dispute he was the real strangler).

You ever watch old Sherlock Holmes movies? How about Detective Sam Spade movies? (Maltese Falcon) Old detective tv shows, like Dragnet? The movie The Boston Strangler with Tony Curtis? You'll see, in a dramatized way, how detectives worked crimes.

Remember, too, that many cities and towns were less populated than now. When there aren't many people, there usu. aren't many crimes. And when there's murder, people in the town often knew who the likely culprit was, or it was a family affair. Those big murders by strangers tended to happen in big cities, like London and New York.

Quote:
“Data! Data! Data!” he cried impatiently. “I can’t make bricks without clay.”
---Sherlock Holmes

Quote:
“There is nothing like first-hand evidence.”
--Sherlock Holmes

Quote:
All we know are the facts, ma'am.
--Sgt Joe Friday, Dragnet

Old 09-04-2016, 06:18 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,301,797 times
Look up the Pinkerton's history.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:38 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
The used firearms identification, examination of wounds and clothing, analyzed soil samples and stomach contents, measured hoof prints, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History