U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

9,672 posts, read 3,262,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You are trying to redirect the discussion. Your original post said nothing about buying stolen property, that is just the after the fact justification you came up with to try and avoid admitting another mistake. You were making a list of territories which were forcibly taken from others. Clearly the Louisiana Purchase does not belong on that list. Perhaps you are fooling some readers with this, I am not one of them.

I never said anything about it because I don't make up moral rules and be selective on the definition of "foul" in history as you.

You claim that the U.S. took the Mexican territory by foul means and then want to slice hairs in the Lousiana Purchase calling it legit. Isn't buying territory from a power that stole it foul also? obviously, you don't think so and keep doubling down on your selective morality on history.

So if we invade Jamaica and take it from the Natives and sell it later to China, that is legit purchase to you? again, you have a problem with the U.S. getting the better part of a treaty with Mexico in a purchase of their lands because Mexico was bankrupt and couldn't pay their debts but the Lousiana Purchase from the French Empire who used the same means to acquire lands in the New World isn't foul?

For the record, I have no problem with either action, our government at the time saw an opportunity and negotiated treaties from the power of strength and had leverage and got the better part of it and centuries later some people don't like it and want to apply today's morality to history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

37,912 posts, read 17,778,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Isn't buying territory from a power that stole it foul also? obviously, you don't think so and keep doubling down on your selective morality on history.

No. And all morality is selective, I select mine, you select yours, so why you think charging me with selective morality scores points for you, eludes understanding.

You obviously didn't come up with the "stolen property" idea until after I pointed out that Louisiana was not extorted from the French, it was purchased. You were called on it yet you persist in hiding behind it. It reminds me very much of the scene in The Wizard of Oz when Toto pulls back the curtain and reveals the small man operating the Oz illusion machinery. Even though he is caught redhanded, he remains game, "Ignore that person behind the curtain!" he roars.

That didn't work for the Professor, and your attempt to mask your error doesn't work here. Hint: Repeating a mistake does not rehabilitate the mistake.

Old Today, 01:38 AM

9,672 posts, read 3,262,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
No. And all morality is selective, I select mine, you select yours, so why you think charging me with selective morality scores points for you, eludes understanding.

You obviously didn't come up with the "stolen property" idea until after I pointed out that Louisiana was not extorted from the French, it was purchased. You were called on it yet you persist in hiding behind it. It reminds me very much of the scene in The Wizard of Oz when Toto pulls back the curtain and reveals the small man operating the Oz illusion machinery. Even though he is caught redhanded, he remains game, "Ignore that person behind the curtain!" he roars.

That didn't work for the Professor, and your attempt to mask your error doesn't work here. Hint: Repeating a mistake does not rehabilitate the mistake.

Scoring points? LMAO!!

My original post that you keep making a big deal out of it and being anal about it was me being sarcastic about returning land that were taken by "foul" under selective moral compass. You are the one that wanted to look smart and split hairs with your Louisiana purchase posts and doubling down......The Louisiana territory is as much as "stolen" land as the Mexican territories under your morality compass, somebody lived there before the French and the Spaniards occupied it by force, duh! Selling that occupied land doesn't erase the fact that it was taken by force in the first place or as you call it by "foul"

If Mexico has a claim on the land they lost in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo like some ignorantly claim here then any land in the U.S. from the 13 Colonies could be claim since everything was taken by force and gun point. How do you think we got our independence? how do you think countries were formed and borders set by just peaceful treaties? LOL

stop making a big deal about nothing. I made a sarcastic post exposing the silly selective morality that you keep doubling down and take yourself so serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or