Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:27 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruspalinski View Post
1942 seems to be when the Axis were at their peak and had conquered and things looked most grim for pretty much everyone. After 1942 the Allies did start significantly turning the tide, but when it comes to the worst fate for most people in the world do you think 1942 is the darkest year humanity has ever faced?
If you want to limit yourself to World War II, then I'd say that the first half of 1942 was probably the darkest period, psychologically speaking. But then things started to turn around with Allied victories at Midway and Stalingrad (leading into 1943).

As for the entire sweep of human history, I don't have a candidate for the single worst year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 01:48 AM

948 posts, read 921,028 times
There would have been darker periods in the Middle Ages, in both Europe and East Asia.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:13 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
1945 was one of the brightest years in human history. Two scourges were neutralized and the world breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Europe died??
That's when Europe became divided between the American empire and the Soviet empire. And sure, there had been very bad times before in its history, but at least it had been free to act for itself and fight for itself, if needed.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
With the way we are treating the planet, the darkest day was probably the day humans began walking the earth.
I could give that serious consideration. Human beings strike me as a defectively evolved species of animal.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
What about some of the deep crisis years of the Cold War, like 1983 or 1962? Mankind was truly at the brink of wiping ITSELF and the rest of the planet's life out. It's chilling how close we were. I can't think of a more sad or depressing thought, than throwing everything away.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:39 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
According to the Googling I've just done, the plague killed 75 million, WWII killed between 60 and 80 million. Both dark times.
In Hiroshima, 80,000 people were instantly killed.
You can't compare that to death in a war or plague that took several years.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
What about some of the deep crisis years of the Cold War, like 1983 or 1962? Mankind was truly at the brink of wiping ITSELF and the rest of the planet's life out. It's chilling how close we were. I can't think of a more sad or depressing thought, than throwing everything away.
Ironically the cold war period, even with some of the regional wars that popped up, was probably the most peaceful and safe period in human history.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:50 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
People are so recent history focused. Hint - human have been on this world for thousands of years.

OK I my vote besides the black death is the Toba Super-volcano of about 75,000 years ago (obviously exact year unknown) - caused a global volcanic winter lasting about 8 years and a lingering ice age that lasted for another 1,000 years. Caused a global ecological catastrophe, destroyed plants and animals worldwide, and killed most of the evolving human race and left only a few thousand survivors left alive on Earth. Responsible for the "genetic bottleneck" theory in human evolution.
Nice suggestion, and it's all a fact as far as I know.
But actually, all of that was pre-historic. So I guess the "History" forum should be limited to the last 2500 years or so and only to the areas that were able to keep records in one form or another.

The darkest YEAR in human history:
That's tough - naming a year. It would depend a lot on where you were.

I'm going with the world wide flu pandemic. 1918.
Quote:
The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus.[1] It infected 500 million people across the world,[2] including remote Pacific islands and the Arctic, and resulted in the deaths of 50 to 100 million (three to five percent of the world's population[3]), making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history.[4][5][6] Disease had already greatly limited life expectancy in the early 20th century. A considerable spike occurred at the time of the pandemic, specifically the year 1918. Life expectancy dropped by about 12 years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

Old 10-12-2016, 08:02 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
That's when Europe became divided between the American empire and the Soviet empire. And sure, there had been very bad times before in its history, but at least it had been free to act for itself and fight for itself, if needed.
A. Europe had not been "united" so it can't be said to have been "divided."
B. It certainly didn't "die" by any reasonable definition of "death."
C. So what is Europe now? A zombie?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
I'd agree with 1942 as the "darkest" year, but via slightly different reasoning. The origins of participatory democracy, and the open economies which made it possible, can be traced back to the first stirrings of what came to be called the Enlightenment; those beliefs took root on both sides of the Atlantic, and it might also be noted that the effort to eradicate slavery was the first, and noblest example of cooperation between foresighted individuals from different nation-states.

But that spirit came under attack; first from mercantilism and the search for captive territories in the mistaken belief that "trade followed the flag"; when that war ended in a stalemate, authoritarian mass movements arose and grew among the population of the vanquished would-be conquerors, and these drew their strongest support among the displaced former middle classes looking for a scapegoat. The trend which begat history's bloodiest chapter originated in 1919, festered in the Twenties, intensified through the Thirties, and 1942 was the high-water mark in the cesspool.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-12-2016 at 11:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History