Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times

Advertisements

Jimmy Carter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 11:16 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Honest is what sense? Morally, politically, ethically?

Old 10-13-2016, 11:22 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Jimmy Carter
As good an answer as any.
He wasn't much of a President, unfortunately, so maybe it's not the job for an honest man.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:22 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
I know William Taft is not considered a 'great president' by any means, but, my mother knew him (she was friends with his grand-daughter and I knew their whole family myself - though by that time, President Taft had died) and from what I heard through the family grapevine and knew of the family in general .. he was very honest (and perhaps a lot too nice for that role).

Old 10-13-2016, 12:25 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Harry Truman was directly responsible for lying to the American people that we were going to have to invade Japan and that we had to drop the two atomic bombs on them. His lie cost hundreds of thousands of Japanese lives mostly women and children.

The reality is that Japan was trying to get a Peace at the time, and just wanted to avoid an un-conditional one. the military and the POTUS wanted Japan totally on their backs. There would never have been an invasion. But the American people were so tired of the war that they bought his lie.
You sure our stuck on that issue aren't you? Newsflash - the topic you are trying to desperately divert each history thread to (at least this and one other recent one) has been discussed many times. I would recommend you put your opinions in one of the threads below, although don't expect many people to agree with you. I would also suggest you read through some of the posts on these two threads and maybe the others to educate yourself on the topic first however, it doesn't seem you are well informed.

Would FDR have dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki ?
Your opinion on the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
What would have happened if we did not drop the Nukes on Japanese Cities in WW2?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:32 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Jimmy Carter
I would agree with that as one of the top five or so...along with the ironic observation, when looking at the results of his administration, that honesty alone is not always the best qualities of being president.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:43 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post

The reality is that Japan was trying to get a Peace at the time, and just wanted to avoid an un-conditional one. the military and the POTUS wanted Japan totally on their backs. There would never have been an invasion. But the American people were so tired of the war that they bought his lie.
If they did not want to do a unconditional surrender they should not have attacked pearl Harbor in the first place. Do that, and atomic bomb or unconditional surrender are your choices and you have to pick one. They dithered on one and got the other.

You reap what you sow.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:47 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC4K6n1iCgc

Most politicians are as honest as they have to be. It is rare to find someone as straight forward and truthful as Carter and Obama. I don't think any modern politician comes as close.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-13-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 02:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
All were obviously imperfect human beings, but I think Washington and Eisenhower were both very straight-forward, honest men.
Their presidencies were more in the mold of reluctant, but dutiful, public servants, as opposed to self-serving, often-lying politicians..
Carter should be included in that; certainly honest, and he set aside his religious convictions to support the law (as in Roe v. Wade). His big stumbling block was that he accepted the Shah of Iran for cancer treatment in the US when no one else would. I think he felt he had to, since Iran had a long history of being a US "client state", and also he did it out of humanitarian motives. But it lead to the hostage crisis, which was his political undoing.

FDR certainly did a lot for the American people during the Depression. If there's any self-interest-related scandal, I may not be aware of it.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:17 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Hm.. George Washington, because he was the first.
Nope!
"Honest" George sold stone from his own quarries to the federal government for the construction of federal buildings in DC. Not only was his stone overpriced, but it was also not construction grade, thus leading to many repairs in later years.

Thus, we have both a classic Conflict of Interests as well as overcharging for substandard merchandise.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History