Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:29 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't know, it just seems like basic knowledge of history is going by he wayside. I saw it when I was in high school. I was the only person in my senior history class who could fill out a map of the united states. And I'm not talking about capitals ... just the states!
Quite a few in my senior class could do this, but there were exceptions. One of my HS boyfriends thought Arizona was a city in New Mexico

I think the schools do teach things like geography still; we were expected to know the states and their capitals, the European countries, African countries, and South American countries (I can't recall reviewing Asia).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Hey 6-3, 1984 by George Orwell. Surveillance society, "big brother", total gov't control of population. Really depressing stuff. Worst part is Orwell was kind of a visionary.
I got what your and Domergurl are talking about now. Sad thing is i never learned about that subject either in my school years but instead knew about this from Coast to Coast with George Noory and Art Bell over the years on late nite A.M. radio.

6/3

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its not that they are losing touch, its that they are ashamed of history & cultural and are allowing others to "rewrite it"
when you begin to say, i dont make mistakes, i am a mistake, failure is pretty much guaranteed.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
its not that they are losing touch, its that they are ashamed of history & cultural and are allowing others to "rewrite it"
when you begin to say, i dont make mistakes, i am a mistake, failure is pretty much guaranteed.
True. I was visiting my parents and we were talking about Thomas Jefferson and what we thought his greatest accomplishments were. My youngest brother (14, in 10th grade) said "What was so great about him, he owned slaves. What a hypocrit!" I replied "Yes, he did, as most farmers in the South did at the time. There were white slaves and black slave owners too. But what do you think his greatest accomplishment was?" Apparently, he thought that owning slaves negated any positive accomplishments that Jefferson had. When pressed further, this statement came out of his mouth "My teacher said..."

Old 02-27-2008, 01:20 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
True. I was visiting my parents and we were talking about Thomas Jefferson and what we thought his greatest accomplishments were. My youngest brother (14, in 10th grade) said "What was so great about him, he owned slaves. What a hypocrit!" I replied "Yes, he did, as most farmers in the South did at the time. There were white slaves and black slave owners too. But what do you think his greatest accomplishment was?" Apparently, he thought that owning slaves negated any positive accomplishments that Jefferson had. When pressed further, this statement came out of his mouth "My teacher said..."
You proved my point exactly! Thank you.

And to the person who gave me reps with a snarky little comment ... boo to you.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by MamaBee
Quote:
"My teacher said..."
Why is this surprising? Isn't this what normally happens when you send children to a school?
I think it has more to do with the education of the teachers themselves than the education of the children.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by MamaBee Why is this surprising? Isn't this what normally happens when you send children to a school?
I think it has more to do with the education of the teachers themselves than the education of the children.
It's because teachers major in education and not a subject area ...

Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I think it comes down to parenting. I learned more about History and garnered a love of it more from my mother than from school. In the morning my step-father would tell me the important news story of the day while he read the paper and I ate breakfast, at dinner (we ate dinner as a family!) we would each talk about our day then we would all watch the evening news together. My favorite family vacations were to places such as Mt. Vernon, Monticello, Williamsburg, Gettysburg, and Fredericksburg. My husband and I plan to raise our daughter much the same way.

It all comes down to parenting.
Yeah, I have to agree. I got my love of history from my Mom too. She was born in Dublin but raised mostly in England and was the product of English schooling - which stressed history a great deal (she can still list off the entire chain of English Kings & Queens back to William the Conqueror (actually even before him). Her secondary schooling was designed for those college-bound (though lack of finances prevented her from ever going) so her classes were very academic - as compared to some British schools where the focus is more on practical working skills (this was a part of the British class-based society - not sure how schools are structured today).

Of course it didn't hurt any that I was largely raised in France and (especially) Germany and spent roughly 7 years there before I was 18. Pretty fun being able to play in ruined castles and monasteries. I have no idea how many castles I've been to - or how many battlefields I've toured, but it's a lot (can't even come close to remember them all). The Roman ruins were always my favorite though.

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 AM

I majored in history with no intention of teaching because I knew I wouldn't be able to teach history the way it should be taught. My Dad instilled my love of the subject and my Czech born German mom taught me that in war, everyone suffers.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I had a great History Teacher in High School who made History come alive. She had toured Europe and took tons of pictures and showed them to us as Slides so when we were studying certain places of Euro History she would show Slides of castles or places of intrerest of the Country.

Secondly my WWII/Korean War Gramps had tons of photos of the Korean War he'd always break out and show me as a kid and also his constant telling me stories being under Gen Patton on the western front opposing Germany in the war is also a big reason as to why i'm such a History buff.....

I hated School for the most part and yet i'd go to the library and check out books on the Spanish Armada or of Napoleon or of Julius Ceasar etc...as again she was a great Teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History