Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times

Advertisements

It was such an awesome film. Here's the trailer.

YouTube - Das Boot - trailer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Dude, it is filmed in color. Its just that the inside of Unterwasserboots are not particulalry colorful places.
Yeah i noticed the Red Lights in the sub as we had those on the Bridge at nite or before you went outside at sea you had to readjust your eyes so you could see in the dark as no lights are allowed on a war ship at nite.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
The ending was so incredible ... all that and then what happened at the end ... I remember sitting up in bed, holding my big belly and screaming "what??????!!!!!!"

Yeap i said the same thing !!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
It was such an awesome film. Here's the trailer.

YouTube - Das Boot - trailer

Thanks for that Square Peg and i repped you on that.

I can't believe i have never seen this movie before in my life before yesturday.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
While we're at it, here's another couple of GREAT war movies:

The Beast (1988) - about a Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan engaged in a cat and mouse battle with a ragged bunch guerrillas who would normally have no chance - except that they've got an RPG. Awesome movie - and again like Das Boot, is a pretty harrowing indictment of the madness of war and what it does to people. The reason this movie works so well is that the Soviets are the ones speaking English while the Afghans are sub-titled, leading American viewers to relate to the Soviets in a way that paints Afghanistan clearly as their version of Viet Nam. A truly great movie - and one with a lot of character and plot development (and some surprise twists) along with the action you would expect from a war movie. This is not at all surprising once you realize that the movie was actually based a stage play - where plot and character are generally much more important than action. If you haven't seen it I strongly recommend you check it out. It will provide much insight in Afghanistan and the collapse of the Soviet Union - all the while holding you on the edge of your seat.

The Beast of War (1988)

And of course there is always Gallipoli - Peter Weirs' masterpeice starring a very young (and still relatively unknown) Mel Gibson. For heart-wrenching war movies, they don't come much better than this.

Gallipoli (1981)

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 12:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
PS - I find it interesting that "The Beast" is now called "The Beast of War". It did poorly in theatres - probably partly due to the fact that few Americans wanted to see a movie about Soviets in Afghanistan (especially back in 1988) but probably also due to the fact that the name "The Beast" made it sound like a horror movie (rather like William Friedkin's "Sorceror" - which sounded like a fantasy film even though it was a suspense movie (another terrific - though non-war movie BTW)).

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 12:59 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Oh heck, most people in American probably thought Das Boot was about orphaned German footwear.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
... There are a few other movies tha give a good depiction of the war form the German view. Stalingrad, The Winter War are two that come to mind....
I have never seen The Winter War - I will look it up, Thanks. I agree about Stalingrad, it is very good. I will have to go back and see it again as well. I remember the intense scene where both sides called a truce to retrieve wounded from a court yard between buildings. Also, I saw the film at home in the fall. I soon had the house heat turned up as far as it could go and I was still _freezing_!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
While we're at it, here's another couple of GREAT war movies:

The Beast (1988) - about a Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan engaged in a cat and mouse battle with a ragged bunch guerrillas who would normally have no chance - except that they've got an RPG. Awesome movie - and again like Das Boot, is a pretty harrowing indictment of the madness of war and what it does to people. The reason this movie works so well is that the Soviets are the ones speaking English while the Afghans are sub-titled, leading American viewers to relate to the Soviets in a way that paints Afghanistan clearly as their version of Viet Nam. A truly great movie - and one with a lot of character and plot development (and some surprise twists) along with the action you would expect from a war movie. This is not at all surprising once you realize that the movie was actually based a stage play - where plot and character are generally much more important than action. If you haven't seen it I strongly recommend you check it out. It will provide much insight in Afghanistan and the collapse of the Soviet Union - all the while holding you on the edge of your seat.

The Beast of War (1988)

And of course there is always Gallipoli - Peter Weirs' masterpeice starring a very young (and still relatively unknown) Mel Gibson. For heart-wrenching war movies, they don't come much better than this.

Gallipoli (1981)

Ken
I would also add "Europa, Europa" and "Tora Tora Tora" to must-see WW II movies.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Ok, don't groan on me here, but my 2 of my favorite WWII movies are Life is Beautiful and The Bicycle Thief. Granted, Bicycle Thief was post WWII, but it showed post war suffering so realisticly .. is that a word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History