Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:56 AM

393 posts, read 409,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know how you can say that.

You planning to take these people's word after the fact?
Based on history books, etc. Many people disliked NAZI control yet were afraid to voice their opinion. Now appointed members of the party, govt types, etc. Enjoyed their power, but even the military disliked NAZI policies.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Such a great response. And so true. I predicted Donald Trump's victory months ago. I predict something similar in liberal paradise England. Australia and Canada will follow suit. Liberalism has dug its own grave....bloody fools.
Something did happen in England...the Brexit. That happened well before the US elections

Things swing too far one way and they will eventually swing back. People in the US and England are sick of being told by the media that they are racists if they are cautious about outsiders only to continually have the outsiders launch terrorist attack in their country. There is nothing wrong with nationalism. If you can't be proud of your own country you should move somewhere else

Old 12-12-2016, 12:37 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Based on history books, etc. Many people disliked NAZI control yet were afraid to voice their opinion. Now appointed members of the party, govt types, etc. Enjoyed their power, but even the military disliked NAZI policies.

Based on what history books? People loved Hitler. Were there dissidents? Of course. Look at the crowd scenes in Triumph Of The Will. Those people were true believers, you can see it in their faces.

Everyone says the Nazis never got a majority, which is true. But Germany was a Parliamentary government so they took their 40% or so of the Reichstag seats and cobbled together enough support from the other nationalist parties to gain control.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Place people in the appropriate psychological pressure position and what they normally believe may be altered. When all seems chaotic, someone promising the restoration of order becomes appealing and that person's other characteristics get ignored.

It wasn't anything specific to the German people, if Germany had won the First World War it probably would have been France rounding up their Jews and installing some sort of fascist government.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Place people in the appropriate psychological pressure position and what they normally believe may be altered. When all seems chaotic, someone promising the restoration of order becomes appealing and that person's other characteristics get ignored.

It wasn't anything specific to the German people, if Germany had won the First World War it probably would have been France rounding up their Jews and installing some sort of fascist government.
Didn't France have a very active Fascist party anyway?

Old 12-12-2016, 01:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Didn't France have a very active Fascist party anyway?
Also Communist. The same sort of political street thuggery which plagued Germany was probable in a France which had lost the war.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Also Communist. The same sort of political street thuggery which plagued Germany was probable in a France which had lost the war.
Yeah, didn't forget about them just didn't mention it.

I don't think many people realize how widespread Fascist beliefs were in 1920s/1930s Europe and were even present in the US after 1929 and the onset of the Great Depression.

The aggressive campaign techniques used in Germany were used by many of the political parties, not just there but in other countries also.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:24 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Currently in my god forsaken country there is a massive wave of nationalism. A week ago the supreme court forced a new rule that everyone must stand for the national anthem in movie theaters and anyone not standing will be given a week in prison. Since then there have been a wave of incidents. Today 9 people were shot dead(!!!) for not standing in the theater. They got into an argument by the uber nationalist crowd and after getting out of the theater they were murdered in broad daylight.

What do you make of this? Many idiots here are comparing the rise of the right to nazism and believe it or not....many actually idolize Hitler. Which makes me wonder....How did a first world highly educated and advanced nation like Germany fall for the charms of Hitler? What was the catalyst that the entire population simply swayed to his tunes? I mean killing of Jews and other "unwanteds" is hardcore whichever way you look at it...morally wrong and unethical, did no one realize? Look at what happened to them...The entire nation was evaporated.
Unfortunately, people are very "un-thinking" individuals. They will follow the crowd without thinking about what they are following. They also are very selfish in that they don't care if things are happening to other people (like the Jews) as long as its not happening to them.

Indifference of the German populace is what caused Nazism to spread so fast. Indifference and rationalization of prejudices and widespread discrimination.

Unfortunately, this is something that can still potentially have the same outcome today. People still will go with the crowd. They don't care as long as something doesn't affect them. Others are too afraid to speak because they don't want anything to happen to them or their family. Especially those people who are in the same party/club, on the same side, as the offending individuals/groups/parties. They don't say anything because of fear and selfishness.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, didn't forget about them just didn't mention it.

I don't think many people realize how widespread Fascist beliefs were in 1920s/1930s Europe and were even present in the US after 1929 and the onset of the Great Depression.

The aggressive campaign techniques used in Germany were used by many of the political parties, not just there but in other countries also.
Fascism really started in Italy and, arguably, continued after WW2 (in Spain and a few other countries). Ideologically identical to Nazism except that Germany added the race hatred concept.

I didn't know that Fascism was present in any type of force in US. I knew communism was. Certainly there were pro-German elements that was really associated with a cultural identity, there was also a pre-war "german-american bund" which was really just a Nazi propaganda machine.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:31 PM

467 posts, read 352,656 times
I am fairly ignorant of German history, but I believe that an understanding of Hitler's rise should not ignore the disgusting aspects of the Weimar Republic. I was not alive for that, but I am old enough to remember a Bobby Darin song Mack the Knife. Listen to it. I believe that it came from the Threepenny Opera, characteristic of the times.

A degenerate culture begets degenerate practice. We in the US of A face the same critical situation today. Fortunately, a geographically-weighted majority favors turning away from degeneracy, but the future is not guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History