U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:14 AM

1,498 posts, read 905,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Here's one I learned just today. When Abe Lincoln was a young man..
I think it surprises some people when they learn that Lincoln was born in a Southern state.
It is kinda' ironic that the opposing Civil War presidents were both Kentucky/Border South natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 10:23 AM

4,246 posts, read 3,109,815 times
Probably that most people in this country have no concept of history and are totally ignorant of anything of importance that occurred in the past.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 AM

5,451 posts, read 1,814,471 times
Anyone who studies history very long learns surprising things, often things that are contradictory to popular or early-level education and understanding. (Starting with all the Parson Weems nonsense about Washington, which is still repeated as factual in some accounts.)

I think if there was one thing that made me sit up and understand how complex history is as a field and how "revisionism" is only a dirty word to those who don't understand the process, it was the claim that US colonists used smallpox as a weapon against the native population. The first time I encountered this claim, it was in an eye-rolling article based on material from the Great Soviet Encyclopedia as an example of how much those rascally Commies distorted American history to serve their own ends. Then a few years later, I encountered (then new-ish?) publications about how the smoking-gun correspondence had been found, between Amherst and others, proving that we'd done exactly that. And gained that crucial understanding of how one datum, one letter, one fact can completely change the interpretation of a historical event.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:35 PM

15,010 posts, read 19,237,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I think it surprises some people when they learn that Lincoln was born in a Southern state.
It is kinda' ironic that the opposing Civil War presidents were both Kentucky/Border South natives.
I don't see anything surprising about that.
Where you are born doesn't define who you are

Old 02-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Well, a border one that finally went Confederate. But true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't see anything surprising about that.
Where you are born doesn't define who you are
Make that "doesn't necessarily define" and I think we can all agree. Sometimes birthplace is the major defining factor of a life.

He was also never President of the (entire) United States; most of the South had seceded by the time he took office, and none of them had been readmitted when he was assassinated.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 AM

12,524 posts, read 7,954,094 times
Winston Churchill, FDR, and Douglas McArthur were all related.
Sarah Barney Belcher of Taunton, Massachusetts was MacArthurís great-great grandmother, and also became a (multiple) great aunt of Churchill and Roosevelt. Consequently, Douglas MacArthur was an eighth cousin of Winston Churchill, and a sixth cousin, once removed of Franklin Roosevelt. "

Old 02-06-2019, 10:14 AM

4,525 posts, read 1,761,062 times
Just a general comment, that history is one of those subjects that's infinite in scope. Between the axes of time and location, one could never even come close to exhausting the limits of study and research.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Winston Churchill, FDR, and Douglas McArthur were all related.
Sarah Barney Belcher of Taunton, Massachusetts was MacArthurís great-great grandmother, and also became a (multiple) great aunt of Churchill and Roosevelt. Consequently, Douglas MacArthur was an eighth cousin of Winston Churchill, and a sixth cousin, once removed of Franklin Roosevelt. "
I won't say that's not interesting, but by the time you are to eighth cousins and a few removeds, any individual is linked to thousands of others. Do this in a relatively small pool of families (all linked to English, Dutch and German roots that came to America, for example) and such coincidences are no longer very surprising.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Just a general comment, that history is one of those subjects that's infinite in scope. Between the axes of time and location, one could never even come close to exhausting the limits of study and research.
I was quite young when I made the realization to my father (a WWII vet and a bit of a fiend on the topic), "We'll never know all the stories from the war." He replied, "We'll never know all the stories from D-Day alone."

Talk about peeking into an abyss...

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 23 times
What is the most surprising fact you have learned about history?

That humans would have permitted the Holocaust. I still don't get it. I can see the logic behind Hiroshima. I can see the reasoning for 9/11. I can see WWI. I can see everything else about WWII. All of these things were in some way rational, even 9/11 as you have a bunch of angry people empowered by religion trying to get back at the big bad US. But, killing all those women and children, not only was it of no benefit, it probably took resources away from fighting on two fronts in WWII.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or