Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Good, all this extreme Afrocentrism that I'm seeing on the internet and some weird documentaries on the History Channel, are discrediting genuine scholarship into African history.

It's got to the point where it's practically impossible to have serious discussions about African history on the internet. It always devolves into people making incredibly bizarre claims, as well as black and white supremacists both arguing with one other.
Some in which I have participated in debunkings:

How Much Did Africa Develop Europe?

Did Nubia Develop Before Egypt?

Nubia birthed Egypt

Was Cleopatra VII "black" or part "black?"

The King Tut "European DNA" Debunked

Ancient African Civilizations 101

Olmecs Were Africans?

were the Moors black?

Ancient Black Americans "HIDDEN HISTORY" (VIDEO INSIDE)

Why do we hide African ancestry in European countries? Why do we whitewash history?

Ancient Israelites Black?

Last edited by cachibatches; 02-26-2017 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Civilizations tend to be hybrids. Mesopotamia: Akkadian/Sumerian. Egypt: Hamite/Semite. Greece: Indo-European/Minoan. Rome: Etruscan/Latin.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I watched the first two segments last night. It was very informative and enlightening on the kingdom of Meroe especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I hope this is a serious program with genuine scholarship. Not something about Pyramids flying to space, and Yacob creating white people in a laboratory.
LOL on the above, Skip Gates is a renown scholar of African and African American history. He wrote a large amount of my textbooks in college in relation to African American studies, African studies, and African American Literature.

I heart him

FWIW he did discuss some topics that I felt many "Eurocentrists" would disagree with him and the participants on.

He discussed early artwork in South Africa that pre-dates cave art found in Europe by about 50,000 years.

He discussed early writing systems in Africa that pre-date/coincide to those in the Arab world.

He discussed iron work in Africa that pre-date/coincide with iron smelting beginning in Turkey.

He discussed the kingdom of Axum and its importance in Africa and the Middle East and in the rise/history of Christianity in Africa starting within a decade of Jesus being crucified along with the rise of Islam in Africa that extended to Europe via the Iberian Peninsula.

All in all it was an interesting program IMO. I'm looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:37 AM

On these, I remember the participation and felt that too many of those discussions were not based on an historical basis and archeology specifically. There were a lot of outdated terms used in those threads (negroid, mongloid, etc.).

Africa birthed and developed the entire world based upon our common shared ancestry of "Mitochondrial Eve." FWIW it is now believed that the father of humanity via the Y chromosome was Asian and there is a lot of new DNA and archeological research into this today.

But just wanted to state that in regards to the topics of the threads you posted, the following was mentioned in the program:

• Africa did help develop Europe by way of the Africans and Arabs who invaded the Iberian Peninsula
  • Nubia and Egypt were contemporaries and developed civilization around the same time. Egypt grew in strength and conquered Nubia and their cultures combined. During the 25th Dynasty Nubian rulers ruled Egypt as well - Nubia in the program was in present day Sudan and was also referred to as Karmak
  • Nubia and Egypt were geographical neighbors so it would be safe to assume they birthed each other in regards to culture and influence. Nubia was stated to have been where gold was mined. Egypt where fertile grounds laid and food was abundant. They started off as trading partners and Egypt conquered Nubia due to wanting to control the gold mines.
  • Cleopatra was not discussed much except in regards to defeat of Egypt after her death
  • Many ancient African civilizations were mentioned in the first episode
  • Olmecs were not discussed
  • Moors were discussed as being African and Arab
  • America was not discussed (in relation to black Americans)
  • The program is based upon the fact that most people are ignorant about African history, not really ancestry based (FWIW, I also personally believe most people are ignorant about African history, both Eurocentrist and Afrocentrists are IMO).
  • The program did mention that people in the kingdom of Axum had close connections spiritually with Jerusalem and that a pilgrimage there was seen as the highlight of one's life, similar to Muslims traveling to Mecca. This was based on the Christian connection though, not Jewish.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:41 AM

566 posts, read 503,730 times
No Alphabet nor books, no science, no electricity, until the white man came.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Civilizations tend to be hybrids. Mesopotamia: Akkadian/Sumerian. Egypt: Hamite/Semite. Greece: Indo-European/Minoan. Rome: Etruscan/Latin.
I agree with this. But wanted to note that the program did specifically mention that ancient Egyptian civilization was African based primarily with Egypt, Nubia/Karmak, and Axum being the dominant groups. I personally thought that some people, particularly Hebrew/Semites would be upset with the program based on the fact that one of the participant experts stated that the Great Pyramids were not built by Hebrew slaves and there was not a focus on Hebrews having any influence on the creation of Egyptian civilization and society - that Egypt was primarily an African civilization created in Africa and influenced by Africans, not Arabs or Semites.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Caught about 40 minutes last night. Looked pretty good until I dozed off- not the program's fault, just a prior restless night.

I will check out the whole thing later.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:53 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Those first civilizations developed along rivers -- the Nile and the Tigris & Euphrates and the Indus. The idea that some were in Africa and some were in Asia is a modern distinction. I think Gates is doing an okay job. There is some general ignorance out there but I don't know of anyone who has been to school or has a little bit of curiosity that claims the human species doesn't have its beginnings in Africa. Evolution continued after they (we) left Africa and probably continues at a accelerated pace today with migrations and globalization. African civilizations of Egypt, Nubia and Axum have been known for thousands of years in their own right but probably not considered much in a broader continental context. To westerners, African history seem disjointed and disconnected...things appear out of context. Maybe Gates can add some connecting narrative that makes a clearer picture on a continental scale.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:01 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Those first civilizations developed along rivers -- the Nile and the Tigris & Euphrates and the Indus. The idea that some were in Africa and some were in Asia is a modern distinction. I think Gates is doing an okay job. There is some general ignorance out there but I don't know of anyone who has been to school or has a little bit of curiosity that claims the human species doesn't have its beginnings in Africa. Evolution continued after they (we) left Africa and probably continues at a accelerated pace today with migrations and globalization. African civilizations of Egypt, Nubia and Axum have been known for thousands of years in their own right but probably not considered much in a broader continental context. To westerners, African history seem disjointed and disconnected...things appear out of context. Maybe Gates can add some connecting narrative that makes a clearer picture on a continental scale.
What I don't understand is what happened to these great civilizations that emerged in the medieval period and and grew wealthy from trade with the Arab world? But by the time the Europeans got seriously involved in Africa, many had already declined or collapsed. Which fitted into the European narrative that Sub-Saharan Africa was culturally backward.

What were the reasons for this?

Old 02-28-2017, 04:17 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On these, I remember the participation and felt that too many of those discussions were not based on an historical basis and archeology specifically. There were a lot of outdated terms used in those threads (negroid, mongloid, etc.).

Africa birthed and developed the entire world based upon our common shared ancestry of "Mitochondrial Eve." FWIW it is now believed that the father of humanity via the Y chromosome was Asian and there is a lot of new DNA and archeological research into this today.

But just wanted to state that in regards to the topics of the threads you posted, the following was mentioned in the program:

• Africa did help develop Europe by way of the Africans and Arabs who invaded the Iberian Peninsula
  • Nubia and Egypt were contemporaries and developed civilization around the same time. Egypt grew in strength and conquered Nubia and their cultures combined. During the 25th Dynasty Nubian rulers ruled Egypt as well - Nubia in the program was in present day Sudan and was also referred to as Karmak
  • Nubia and Egypt were geographical neighbors so it would be safe to assume they birthed each other in regards to culture and influence. Nubia was stated to have been where gold was mined. Egypt where fertile grounds laid and food was abundant. They started off as trading partners and Egypt conquered Nubia due to wanting to control the gold mines.
  • Cleopatra was not discussed much except in regards to defeat of Egypt after her death
  • Many ancient African civilizations were mentioned in the first episode
  • Olmecs were not discussed
  • Moors were discussed as being African and Arab
  • America was not discussed (in relation to black Americans)
  • The program is based upon the fact that most people are ignorant about African history, not really ancestry based (FWIW, I also personally believe most people are ignorant about African history, both Eurocentrist and Afrocentrists are IMO).
  • The program did mention that people in the kingdom of Axum had close connections spiritually with Jerusalem and that a pilgrimage there was seen as the highlight of one's life, similar to Muslims traveling to Mecca. This was based on the Christian connection though, not Jewish.

Do you have a link to support this?

To my knowledge Y-DNA A00 is the current root.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History