Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 01:16 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,803,155 times

Advertisements

This is mostly an appreciation thread for Lucy Worsley. I really like her as a host. I think she's engaging and smart, and asks good questions when she interviews people. I don't know how much input she has in creating each documentary, but so far, the ones I've seen her in seem to be interesting and have great production. There are some documentaries that seem to basically be a camera man who just follows the host around, so we end up seeing the host's back for most of the time.

These are the documentaries of Lucy's that I've seen so far.
British History's Biggest Fibs
Enjoyable, though not as interesting as some of the other documentaries of hers. To be honest, I watched it not very long ago, but can't remember too much from it. I remember far more from If Walls Could Talk and Six Wives.

If Walls Could Talk
A history of the rooms in a house - kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom. It's very interesting to see how the rooms came into existence, and how their uses changed throughout the years.

Empire of the Tsars
I need to go back and watch this again. I think I was distracted (or sick or something) the first time, so I didn't get as much out of it.

Six Wives with Lucy Worsley
Loved this. There were seamless transitions between the reenacted history and her appearance as host, and the reenactments (which can be so cheesy in other shows) were done well.

The Real Versailles
I liked this a lot, and learned facts about Versailles that I hadn't previously known. I'd like her to do a series on French royalty, actually.

Lucy Worsley's Reins of Power
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I love horses, but I just figured this was stretching it a bit, in terms of a subject for a documentary, but I was pleasantly surprised. This also seems to be the subject of her dissertation in school.

A Very British Romance
Fun stuff. There was a lot I learned. I do like learning about royalty, but I think my favorite documentaries focus more on the day-to-day, such as If Walls Could Talk, the way people dressed, what people ate, etc.

Dancing Cheek to Cheek
I like Len Goodman a lot, so this was fun. I don't know how very informative it was, but I still got a kick out of watching them both learn then perform the dances.

Tales from the Royal Wardrobes
Very interesting. I'm particularly interested in period clothing, so this was right up my alley.

What other documentaries of hers would you recommend? I think I'm going to have to try to find a lot of them on YouTube, because Netflix and Amazon don't seem to have very much available.

Does anyone have an idea of upcoming documentaries she'll be doing? Is anyone else on here a big fan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,267,330 times
Hi like Lucy for the reasons you mention

Also like Tracy Borman, Sarah Lipscombe, Sarah gristwood, and any History Girls piece. But I don't think they are the same 'production' level as Lucy's. Perhaps because of her position as Head Curator of Historic Palaces? gives her access to funds and BBC special treatment

Also like Chris Skidmore

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 03-10-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History