Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Nearly all central and South American countries had African slaves....

Mexico had African slaves.

As was shared by other posters, many Central Americans today "look black" most notably Panamanians. I know people from Belize and Nicaragua and other Central/South American countries who are black.

Not sure why the OP thinks black slaves were not in Central and South America. There are black Argentinians and Peruvians as well amongst others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Nearly all central and South American countries had African slaves....

Mexico had African slaves.

As was shared by other posters, many Central Americans today "look black" most notably Panamanians. I know people from Belize and Nicaragua and other Central/South American countries who are black.

Not sure why the OP thinks black slaves were not in Central and South America. There are black Argentinians and Peruvians as well amongst others...
Do they identify as black? Or are you arbitrarily labeling them black because they look "black" to you? Just curious, because I come across this all the time, where for example Americans impose their racial categories and their own racial baggage on other cultures.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Do they identify as black? Or are you arbitrarily labeling them black because they look "black" to you? Just curious, because I come across this all the time, where for example Americans impose their racial categories and their own racial baggage on other cultures.
Yes they self-identify as black.

They are blacker than me lol.

And these people live in America now, they are immigrants. They realized when they came to America people would see them first and ask questions later I guess.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:04 PM

FWIW, Even the Dominicans I knew in Atlanta identified as black. I remember a discussion with a co-worker who is a Dominican immigrant about 5 years ago and someone asked him if he thought of himself as black. He and I were the same skin color basically. He responded that when he first came to the US he didn't consider himself black because his not very dark skinned and only considered his nationality. But that over the years he started identifying more as a black person in America because he has endured a lot of racism that black men face in the country.

This man was in his 40s and have lived in America, not in NYC mind you, since he was a teen.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Interesting question. Depends on what black means. I live in NYC and am Afro Latino of Puerto Rican decent. Yet, I am very fair with blue eyes. I identify with my African decent in the context of Puerto Rican history and the US history of blacks as category in the US. Afro American cultural pride movements in the 50's- 80's were very influential among Puerto Rican cultural identity movements when I was growing up in the 70s. Pride in European, Indian, and Afro origins were celebrated in Puerto Rican cultural education and lead to a cross pollinating pro pan African mindset for many of my peers. I don't think all Afro Latinos have had that type of empowerment in their respective countries. Being black in the US is a different identity for Latinos as it is depending on the nation of origin in Latin America. Sadly, identifying or rather being classified as being " Negro " seldom put you at the top level. If you went to the Dominican Republic for example, seldom do people self identify with being black. Being black means being Haitian or being poor. A clearly black person may self identify as being " Indio " On a pretext or notion he might have some Indian or Spanish blood generations ago. Then the same Dominican might not identify with being black in the States cause they aren't " African American. I will just say in my experience it depends on the nation of origin and leave it at that.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 AM

368 posts, read 453,952 times
Countries where over 50% of the population is descendants of African slaves (Majority of the population is black):
-Haiti
-Jamaica
-Barbados
-Bahamas
-St Vincent & Grenadines
-Grenada
-Guadelupe
-Martinique
-Antigua & Barbuda
-St Kitts & Nevis
-Virgin Islands
-Trinidad & Tobago
-Dominican Republic

Countries where 10-50% of the population descends from African slaves (Significant portion of the population is black):
-Cuba
-Puerto Rico
-Brazil
-Belize
-Guyana
-Colombia
-Panama
-Venezuela
-United States
-Nicaragua
-French Guiana

Countries where less than 10% of the population is descended from African slaves (very little to no blacks):
-Costa Rica
-Peru
-Suriname
-Honduras
-Ecuador
-Canada
-Guatemala
-Bolivia
-Mexico
-Argentina
-Chile
-Paraguay

Slavery was big in the US south, the Caribbean islands, the Caribbean coast of Central America, and the northern & eastern portions of South America.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:42 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Countries where less than 10% of the population is descended from African slaves (very little to no blacks):
-Suriname
How can you say Suriname has very little to no blacks
Not even 1% of the population is White.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Quote:
Countries where over 50% of the population is descendants of African slaves (Majority of the population is black):
-Haiti
-Jamaica
-Barbados
-Bahamas
-St Vincent & Grenadines
-Grenada
-Guadelupe
-Martinique
-Antigua & Barbuda
-St Kitts & Nevis
-Virgin Islands
-Trinidad & Tobago
-Dominican Republic

Countries where 10-50% of the population descends from African slaves (Significant portion of the population is black):
-Cuba
-Puerto Rico
-Brazil
-Belize
-Guyana
-Colombia
-Panama
-Venezuela
-United States
-Nicaragua
-French Guiana

-Costa Rica
-Peru
-Suriname
-Honduras
-Ecuador
-Canada
-Guatemala
-Bolivia
-Mexico
-Argentina
-Chile
-Paraguay

Slavery was big in the US south, the Caribbean islands, the Caribbean coast of Central America, and the northern & eastern portions of South America.
Just because a nation has less then 10 percent of the project population of blacks doesn't make them insignificant.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:18 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Its said Scotland had less than a hundred slaves... but that didnt matter.. as you can read here.. Glasgow itself was built on slavery even the churches of the time... sadly... SCOTLAND & SLAVERY - Daily Record this was Lord Glassford one of the richest men in Glasgow.. to the right of the photo his slave was painted out after slavery was abolished.. his money helped build Glasgow from the slave trade.. https://static.artuk.org/w944h944/GL/GL_GM_2887.jpg from certain angles when the light hits the portrait you can see the outline of the slaves hair.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
-Honduras
-Ecuador
I find those two hard to believe
I've seen a lot of black people from those two countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History