Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 08:47 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Excellent idea for a thread. It's an interesting brainstorming exercise, and I was surprised by the things I could come up with after a few minutes of thinking, a lot of this stuff isn't even that old. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Hourglasses, Blackboards, Carriages, Pagers, Typewriters, Dial-up internet, Pendulum clocks, Multi-image, Calculagraphs, Monochrome monitors, Floppy disks, VHS, Fax Machines, Rotary telephones, Answering machines, Dedicated MP3 players, Walkie Talkies, Vinyl, Catapults, Land-based steam automotives, Walkmans, Pay Phones, Analog TV transmissions, probably CD's & DVD's in the near future.

Interesting list. In some cases, the items mentioned have simply morphed into a similar but more advanced device. Thus, the Walkman has morphed into the iPod, but both of them are personal music-listening devices. Other items have been superseded by something so different that the original device is no longer needed. Thus, fax machines fade away (though as yet they are still in use) because items can be sent via PDF or email. And finally, some things are no longer necessary to perform their original function, but are still in use for decorative or ornamental purposes. Thus, people don't need hourglasses or pendulum clocks to tell time, but they are still in use because people find them attractive. (I have a really nice hourglass on my desk. It's clearly intended to be ornamental, not an actual time-telling device, because it drains in the completely non-standard time of 6 minutes 40 seconds.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 08:51 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Interesting list. In some cases, the items mentioned have simply morphed into a similar but more advanced device. Thus, the Walkman has morphed into the iPod, but both of them are personal music-listening devices. Other items have been superseded by something so different that the original device is no longer needed. Thus, fax machines fade away (though as yet they are still in use) because items can be sent via PDF or email. And finally, some things are no longer necessary to perform their original function, but are still in use for decorative or ornamental purposes. Thus, people don't need hourglasses or pendulum clocks to tell time, but they are still in use because people find them attractive. (I have a really nice hourglass on my desk. It's clearly intended to be ornamental, not an actual time-telling device, because it drains in the completely non-standard time of 6 minutes 40 seconds.)
You're correct about the fact that devices "morph", which muddies the waters. As you've probably seen on the previous page, there was bit of confusion over catapults since the technology has modified into different uses.

There's also a gray area brought about by dated technology that people still use for novelty reasons, such as hourglasses, or vinyl, which is enjoying a cult revival.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I should have been clear that I was referring to a very specific battlefield ballistic device. Not the entire concept of elasticity.
I agree with you. In the sense in which you meant it, namely a device for launching a projectile against an enemy, catapults are certainly obsolete. Their function has been replaced by large-caliber guns (such as the main weapons on battleships -- which are themselves considered obsolete, sadly) or missile launchers.

A catapult on an aircraft carrier serves a different function, namely as a means of providing planes with sufficient speed to take off in a short distance. In terms of function, it would be analogous to a booster rocket on the Space Shuttle.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A claw hammer is not a nail puller, it is a claw hammer. https://www.zoro.com/ampco-nail-pull...AKxxoCCrHw_wcB

I did not know they even still made these. I have a couple of antique ones, although I gave several away. I did not know they are worth hundreds.
And what, pray tell, do you propose we use to remove nails if nail pullers are obsolete?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
conversation?

wheel pullers.
How, pray tell, do you expect to remove a wheel or pulley that's press fit onto a shaft, mounted on a taper shaft, or stuck to the shaft with corrosion?

I am willing to bet that every machine shop and automotive repair facility in the developed world has a selection of pullers.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

As for watches, I don't understand the trend of using your phone to tell time. With a phone, you have to fish it out of your pocket or unclip it from its belt, raise it up to eye level, and activate it in some way. With a watch, you raise your arm and turn your wrist, and boom, you know what time it is.

I agree!

If I am going to have to fish around in my pocket for my timepiece, I want it to have a heavy gold case with a front cover that flips open, detailed engraving, and a heavy chain with fobs for my fraternal organizations.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Obsolete can also mean no longer needed/wanted due to technology. The thing may be still around, but it is done. Eyeglasses are a perfect example. They no longer make sense because there are better options and while some people still hang on to the old fashioned methods, they are done, their time has passed. Sure, steam punkers or historic re-enactors will wear eyeglasses for centuries to come. They will still be made, but they will be and are obsolete. They are out of date and have been replaced with something better.

Are you saying that sticking little pieces of plastic in your eyes has eliminated the need for glasses, or do you really think that the laser surgery is the fix? I got news for you. People with laser surgery eyes get old just like everyone else, and they need reading glasses. The laser surgery does not prevent the lens from getting stiff with age. If people with laser surgery eyes get old enough they will even need bifocals.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Thanks for the link!

Mine (and Mom's) came in a little red cassete case from Maybelline, and had to cost $2 or under. I'll still be searching for a drugstore equivalent.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:46 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
This sounds ridiculous at first, but think about history. I am sure many of you can recall a handful of naval battles where smaller fleets defeated a larger fleet, with larger ships. I think technology sort of ups the ante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ZC8wyp44w

Old 04-25-2017, 10:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Do any barber shops offer prices for a .........'haircut and a shave "......?

Very popular in the early 1950's.

Nearly half the customers in our local barber shop got both on Saturdays.

Yes, they've made quite the comeback. Very common now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History