Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 AM

745 posts, read 478,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
You are joking surely, some people cant hang out a washing.. mine is out the back garden just now and I use it on every dry day there is.. love hanging them out, they smell so good.. and I hardly ever use the tumble drier.
I kid you not. Google "town ordinance cannot hang laundry" and you will find all sorts of laws that different places have or did have at one time. I was unaware though that several states reversed many of those laws.

But, think about all the condo/apartment dwellings and whatnot. There is no room to hang laundry so everyone has a washer/dryer in their unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 AM

18,517 posts, read 18,684,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Alas no, that's a common homeowners' association type restriction around here too.
seems quite sad.. one of the only old traditions we still have, drying clothes in the fresh air... what a shame ki..

Old 04-06-2017, 08:28 AM

12,017 posts, read 8,355,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
When I was in my early teens, I knew an old man in our very small New England town, who was a machinist. All of his equipment was driven from belts that ran from an early 20th-Century (1900s) single cylinder, water cooled, magneto gas engine, the only one I have ever seen in use. I idolized this man. He is still my "Buffalo Bill" (a poem by EE Cummings):

"Buffalo Bill ’s
defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallion
and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat
Jesus

he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blue-eyed boy
Mister Death"
e.e. cummings and classical literature are nearly obsolete.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:33 AM

12,017 posts, read 8,355,669 times
Monday mornings when I was growing up the first woman in the neighborhood to get her washing on the line got the prize of the week for being the hardest working housekeeper. It was a matter of cleanliness and pride.

My mom swore the woman next door got up in the night to be the first to get hers out.

How do we even know now whether our neighbors are even keeping their bedding clean?

Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 AM

8,401 posts, read 7,376,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Architectural and engineering scale rulers...
Quote:
I'm starting to think I'm in trouble, I use those daily!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Architectural and engineering scale rulers... I still use one
Perhaps architects still use their scale rulers.

As to engineering scale rulers - I work in a company that has a lot of mechanical engineers. Everything is done on Unix workstations using CAD software.

My company also used to have more than a handful of graphic artists. The last one who actually drew illustrations by hand retired in the early 2000's.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,703,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
e.e. cummings and classical literature are nearly obsolete.
Says who? They are still taught at the secondary school, undergraduate college and grad school I went to. So is Greek and Latin. I don't know anyone from my secondary school, who majored in the humanities and social sciences in college, who didn't have a good job career, even the very few very rich ones, who didn't need a job to support themselves and became investors/philanthropists.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 AM

11,038 posts, read 6,606,302 times
Somebody said Eyeglasses?? They are more popular than ever. Almost all us over-40's need reading glasses at least. I would've said Contact Lenses, more likely.

I bemoan the loss of tape recorders. I used to have a mini-cassette I used. Oh sure, you CAN record on your phone but somehow its too noisy/not enough memory/not enough power stored up. So it never happens.

We didn't have a dryer in the high desert. It was so dry, we just hung our clothes on strings running across the back room ceiling. Dry in 10 minutes.

I used a disposable camera recently on a rafting trip.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:14 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,853,947 times
Floppy discs
CDs are on their way to becoming obsolete; everyone downloads music/software these days

Old 04-06-2017, 02:04 PM

26,650 posts, read 28,603,226 times
Quote:
Alas no, that's a common homeowners' association type restriction around here too.
I think that's those HOA's that I keep reading about that they have in the south.

Thank goodness we don't have them around here. No rules! We can hang our laundry out to dry and no one can tell us we can't. Sheets can smell clean and we save on electricity too.

I guess pens and pencils will become extinct if handwriting is gone. Definitely fountain pens and ink are gone. Inkwells in kids' desks, stick pens with nibs.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:11 PM

18,517 posts, read 18,684,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Monday mornings when I was growing up the first woman in the neighborhood to get her washing on the line got the prize of the week for being the hardest working housekeeper. It was a matter of cleanliness and pride.

My mom swore the woman next door got up in the night to be the first to get hers out.

How do we even know now whether our neighbors are even keeping their bedding clean?
So true... where I used to live it was tenement houses so it was a fight to see who could get the backcourt first and a rope put out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History