Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 04:40 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,651,920 times

Advertisements

The economics are much simpler than that. Every time you add a billion people to the population, you have to add enough to the food supply to feed another billion people. The only way to do that is to clear more land for agriculture. Successful agriculture depends on wiping out ecological diversity. Check this book out from a library and read it.

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/end-wild
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 AM

23,182 posts, read 28,976,644 times
I'm in the midst of reading Celluloid Closet, which delves into the Hayes Commission and the censorship that went on from the birth of film to the 1950's, lots of lies in this book belonging to history. Small wonder why Men are so messed up today, perpetuating that rugged masculine myth.

Clark Gable refused to cry in Gone With The Wind because he was afraid it would tarnish his image! And how many others refused to cry on screen?

Old 04-28-2017, 07:29 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,312,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm in the midst of reading Celluloid Closet, which delves into the Hayes Commission and the censorship that went on from the birth of film to the 1950's, lots of lies in this book belonging to history. Small wonder why Men are so messed up today, perpetuating that rugged masculine myth.

How does it tie into men being messed up?

Old 04-29-2017, 12:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,070,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Clark Gable refused to cry in Gone With The Wind because he was afraid it would tarnish his image! And how many others refused to cry on screen?
And the above is history's "greatest lie?"

Old 04-30-2017, 02:59 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,060,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post

- Denying that Mexicans were white.

- They are rewriting civil rights history fabricating "Latino" contributions, even though most Mexican or other "Spanish-origin" organizations were saying that they were white and wanted nothing to do with the civil rights movement at the time. Mexicans were actually segregationists that did more to fight against the civil rights movement than anything else.

- Claiming that "Latinos" were subject to the same or similar discrimination that black Americans faced before the civil rights movement.

- Ignoring and/or covering up Mexican or Spanish complicity in Jim Crow and the racism of the day. People will have you believe that the Spanish were a "downtrodden" minority group, when in reality they were the perpetrators of racism.
But, what you say, is contradicted by this man's experience

https://military.wikia.com/wiki/Felix_Z._Longoria,_Jr.

Last edited by slowlane3; 04-30-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 03:12 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,790,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
One of the biggest lies being told today is something I call "Latino Historical Revisionism". I've spoken about it so often here that I probably sound like a broken record.

In recent years, now that we have a large "Hispanic/Latino" ethnic group, lots of people are attempting to write American history projecting the "hispanic/latino" concept onto the past, and they're creating all manner of historical myths and fantasies that are completely untrue:

- Pretending that the notion of "hispanic/latino" ethnicity existed - even though nobody before the 80s would have even known what that was.

- They are completely rewriting the history of Texas and the south west pretending that Mexicans and other "Spanish origin" people were minorities.

- Denying that Mexicans were white.

- They are rewriting civil rights history fabricating "Latino" contributions, even though most Mexican or other "Spanish-origin" organizations were saying that they were white and wanted nothing to do with the civil rights movement at the time. Mexicans were actually segregationists that did more to fight against the civil rights movement than anything else.

- Claiming that "Latinos" were subject to the same or similar discrimination that black Americans faced before the civil rights movement.

- Ignoring and/or covering up Mexican or Spanish complicity in Jim Crow and the racism of the day. People will have you believe that the Spanish were a "downtrodden" minority group, when in reality they were the perpetrators of racism.

I could go on and on.
Could? You have. In countless posts.

As I noted much earlier, this thread is not a history discussion but an invitation to air their pet obsessions and grievances dressed up as history.

That you use it to rail against basically everything good anyone every says about Hispanics, as well to try and deny any offered examples of negative behavior toward Hispanics, comes as no surprise at all.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:07 AM

3,844 posts, read 2,217,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Could? You have. In countless posts.

As I noted much earlier, this thread is not a history discussion but an invitation to air their pet obsessions and grievances dressed up as history.

That you use it to rail against basically everything good anyone every says about Hispanics, as well to try and deny any offered examples of negative behavior toward Hispanics, comes as no surprise at all.
Everything I'm saying is true though. Every bit of it. The funny thing about it is that earlier history was completely honest about this. Latino historical revisionism is new, and it has come about in the last 10-15 years with all these new stories they are making up that attempts to write "Latinos" into the civil rights struggle.

Here's an excerpt from 'A People's History of the United States' (Howard Zinn, 1980), which is a book that is meant to tell American History from the perspective of downtrodden minority groups.

Zinn is completely forward about Mexican Americans:

Quote:
Mexican Americans did not object to the segregation of Blacks or challenge the assumptions of White supremacy. On the contrary, they supported strict segregation of Whites and Blacks in the schools and in public facilities. The basis for their claim for social equality was that they were also White...

A group of Mexican Americans, mostly urban and middle class, founded their own organization in 1929 in Corpus Cristi, the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)...LULAC sought to set the racial record strait. In a 1932 article in the LULAC News titled "Are Texas-Mexicans 'Americans'?" the author asserted that Mexican Americans were "the first white race to inhabit this vast empire of ours." Another member of LULAC boasted that Mexican Americans were "not only a part and parcel but as well the sum and substance of the white race."

As self-constituted Whites, LULAC members considered it "an insult" to be associated with Blacks or other "colored" races. In 1936 a LULAC official deplored the practice of hiring "Negro musicians" to play at Mexican bailes because it led to "illicit relations" between Black men and "ill-informed Mexican girls." He urged fellow LULAC memebers to "tell these Negroes that we are not going to permit our manhood and womanhood to mingle with them on an equal social basis".

Not surprisingly, LULAC turned its back on opportunities to forge ties with the NAACP during its own civil rights battles in the 1940s
My family in Texas, remembers when Mexicans were white. They weren't just white on paper, they were white everyday, and every bit as racist as Anglo-Americans.

As much as people today, would like to create the narrative of "Latinos" as righteous freedom fighters that helped in the civil rights movements. That's really a fantasy. They were white-as-the-klans-robe and did more to fight against it.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:25 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,126,857 times
RFK,MLK, Watergate, 9/11

Old 05-02-2017, 01:19 PM

99 posts, read 68,265 times
Women are oppressed and have no power. Especially the most privledged class of people ever to exist in the history of the planet: our ms side here in the US. Yet they complain...

Old 05-02-2017, 06:45 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,440,650 times
Default Wow! This is the History Forum??

I thought I'd wander in here and be illuminated..read musings about great men and women...pivotal times--and what do I get? Misogyny, racist rhetoric and tin-hat conspiracy theories.

Thanks guys..for bursting that bubble!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History