U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 01:12 PM

1,925 posts, read 699,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I had southerners mention taxes as one of the reasons for the desire to succeed. Many southern people were Christians and didn't approve of slavery.The winners write the history.
The trite "Winners write history!" cliche notwithstanding, copious amounts of ink have been spilled over the Civil War by the losers and their later (and current) apologists.

Know who else wrote about why the South seceded? The Southerners as they seceded, before they decided on the need to whitewash slavery as their impetus for secesson. The states passed orders of secession that listed their grievances with the Northern states. And guess what? There's hardly a peep about taxes, and there's almost non-stop commentary about slavery. In fact, in those orders of secession - again, written by the seceding states which formed the Confederacy - you will see the entire conflict framed as being between "slaveholding states" and "non-slaveholding states". Their words.

The Texas ordinance of secession is a classic example. And try as you might, you won't find the word 'tax' anywhere in their, nor 'tariff'.
Texas Ordinance of Secession

And the ordinance of South Carolina, where they go on and one about slavery and slave states and non-slave states, but the only reference of taxation is a digression into the three-fifths clause and not a complaint of federal taxation.
Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

You can check the rest of the states' declarations of secession if you like but it's the same thing - they openly declare that they are leaving in order to preserve the institution of slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM

3,930 posts, read 7,525,198 times
Many of them. JFK, RFK, MLK, Jim Jones, 9/11, Gulf War and many more.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:03 PM

166 posts, read 76,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Many of them. JFK, RFK, MLK, Jim Jones, 9/11, Gulf War and many more.
LOL, care to go in more depth?

Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 AM

1,921 posts, read 805,131 times
Myth: It is widely claimed today that Dr. Hector Garcia and the American G.I Forum was a "civil rights" organization.

Reality: He himself publicly denied that the G.I Forum was a civil rights organization and wanted no association with the civil rights movement.

Quote:
As late as 1954 Dr. [Hector] García claimed, “We are not and have never been a civil rights organization. Personally I hate the word.”...

Dr. García, did not wish to alienate whites in Texas–or anywhere else–by appearing to join the struggle of black people for civil rights...

By the early 1950s the American GI Forum, while still denying that it was a civil rights organization, sought to end discrimination in Texas schools, in employment, and in the use of public spaces. The core strategy depended on educating Anglos that “Americans of Spanish-speaking descent” or Latin Americans were Caucasians and that to identify them as anything but white, whether on birth certificates or traffic citations, was illegal. Making any distinction between Latin Americans and whites, he wrote, was a “slur,” an insult to all Latin Americans.

http://forgottenlatinohistory.blogsp...anization.html
They need to be shamed out of any mention in civil rights history. They did not support civil rights for minorities.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 PM

4,203 posts, read 3,089,435 times
That we live in a civilized society. Behind the façade the monsters are ready to strike.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:56 PM

12,091 posts, read 16,136,581 times
Having read through most of this thread, I'm pretty sure we're still working on the greatest lies in history.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:36 AM

8,035 posts, read 8,034,442 times
As Al Jolson said, “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!”.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM

16,160 posts, read 18,739,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
The idea that all humans are equal.
Nailed it.

This is also the most painful lie.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:35 AM

2,746 posts, read 2,143,827 times
Not really a lie. I was surprised to read, I ran across that Billy the Kid, you hear so much about from the old west. Was from the East side of New York City.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:25 AM

5,639 posts, read 4,300,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Not really a lie. I was surprised to read, I ran across that Billy the Kid, you hear so much about from the old west. Was from the East side of New York City.
Not according to Billy the Kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or