U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 AM

4,102 posts, read 2,261,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I think a great lie of history is that Jesus did not look like that...

So your brain reads and processes the bible and your biggest takeaway or stretch is white jesus?

hmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 09:06 AM

4,102 posts, read 2,261,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post

As to the above-seen image added into his/her posting by SWFL_Native (posting # 18, from 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM):

You know what's interesting? So often, when political conservative types (who often tout their Christianity oh so stridently and proudly) critique the liberal and left-of-center spectrum, they state what they deem to be a perjorative about them, saying "Those bleeding-heart liberals!!!".

And yet, I would think, if you are truly a believing and faithful Christian, it would appear that you MUST exemplify a so-called "bleeding heart" as a central part of your thinking (as this common visual image of Jesus Christ conveys, such as that which you inserted into your posting that I am responding to). For if you are NOT one who doesn't have a so-called "bleeding heart" as a foundational part of your thinking, then do you really have a valid basis and right to call yourself a disciple of Jesus Christ???

Not saying here that I myself possess the definitive correct viewpoint as to what should constitute being a disciple and follower of Jesus Christ. Just offering this up here as "food-for-thought".

Well I think you need to separate the ideology of Christianity from Christians themselves. I grew up Methodist but attended Catholic mass, Baptist, Episcopalian, Community, and other churches. I always found the people in general to be highly hypocritical, judgemental, and busy bee gossipers; hence stopped going.

I never "believed" or had "faith" but did enjoy the music and stories. Being an adult I still attend occasionally and do have a bible that I read from time to time. I treat it more as a complex well written set of chronological bedtime stories. When read not to be taken literally but be entertained and takeaway large important life lessons for personal application. Almost the world's first self help guide if you will.

Now separating that if you view what the christian church specifically Catholicism has done as an institution is bastardize, monopolize, and capitalize on selling salvation to poor uneducated folks. Recently the sex abuse and other various scandals just adds another log to the fire. It's no different from the other major religions that leverage eternity and salvation to control & monetize their followers. It's big business to sell souls!

Old 12-02-2018, 02:15 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,726,753 times
The long held view there was no big bang start to the universe.

Does something have to be proven a lie to be called the greatest lie of all time?

Old 12-02-2018, 03:20 PM

11,163 posts, read 3,027,418 times
In terms of the single largest....first thought would be Heaven and Hell and associated scary ideas told to the illiterate masses and that continue to this day. It would seem that more people in total were exposed to that one than any other.

Another might be that Monarchs were god-like and.or specifically sent or tied directly to the Heavens and.or religious figures were also "sent down" specially and therefore above the rest of us.

I can't think of any believed by so many. Things like flat earth were out of sight and out of mind...the farmer didn't even think of such things.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,878,153 times
There's a God. I mean there is stupid, and there's really stupid.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,268,070 times
I would imagine the biggest lie is right around the corner
which will lead to complete globalism and the slow but sure END to even basic freedoms

its already started

Old 12-03-2018, 12:09 PM

5,325 posts, read 4,212,423 times
Default What is History's greatest lie?

The Devil does not exist.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:18 PM

11,163 posts, read 3,027,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
There's a God. I mean there is stupid, and there's really stupid.
Not sure what you mean. Throughout history there have been thousands of Gods used to make people do things a certain way....even kill others and die!

Monarchs or Chieftains were thought to be "with him"....even today this still exists in Nepalese Buddhism, Catholicism and others. The Pope is a human being just like you and I.

No one doubts that the Universe is a miracle or that certain forces are in play. But a bearded guy? Thor beating on his hammer? A white place with females with wings that you should aspire to? I think these could be classified as "not true" in any scientific, biological or reasonable sense.

Every single experiment, even those financed to the tune of many millions of dollar by believers (Templeton) was unable to prove even a single "power of prayer". That effectively means it is untrue - i.e. "a lie".

There is a big difference between manipulating the world based on fear and the moral and ethical structures that fit...and that have been passed down through the ages. The Founders of our country clearly saw what line.

So in terms of actual measured untruths in history, I can't imagine any larger than "if you die on our side fighting for us, you will have paradise forever" and that type of thing.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:56 PM

2,171 posts, read 800,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
So your brain reads and processes the bible and your biggest takeaway or stretch is white jesus?

hmm....
I think it has more to do with how he is often depicted in many works (including Churches). In fact, there was an article in Nat Geo not too long ago that specifically dealt with the misconception of what Jesus looked like.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 PM

5,665 posts, read 3,231,257 times
Maybe the biggest and most destructive lie of all is that one truth fits all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or