Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know this isn't what you meant, but the biggest lie to me is that "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it", when it is more likely that those who dwell on history are doomed to repeat it.
True. I would say that "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it once, but might learn a lesson the third time around".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 12:05 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Jesus' resurrection. Whoever came up with the idea of hiding the body may have had the largest individual influence on the course of history.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know this isn't what you meant, but the biggest lie to me is that "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it", when it is more likely that those who dwell on history are doomed to repeat it.
Well, at least we'll know it's happening.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't know what you had in mind, but this is what I see:

Without religious struggles and the resulting wars, world population would be larger than it is now, perhaps ten billion people or more. We would have the same problems we have now, only much worse due to a larger population.

Fear of the overcrowding of the Earth is a very "American" cultural hang-up. Most people in the world don't live in a country of 330 million that is 4% of the global population but consumes 25% of global resources in which 75% of these people are scattered in low density suburbs or rural areas. Never fear there is plenty more carrying capacity on the Planet Earth:

World overpopulation wouldn’t be such a big problem (space-wise, at least) if everyone lived as densely as they do in South Korea or New Jersey

Now if any other country within two standard deviations of the American population (such as China, India, Indonesia, or Brazil) all of a sudden develop identical consumptive habits of Americans, then yes, the planet is screwed.

Not sure if overcrowding constitutes a lie of history but certainly a myth.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:53 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't know what you had in mind, but this is what I see:

Without religious struggles and the resulting wars, world population would be larger than it is now, perhaps ten billion people or more. We would have the same problems we have now, only much worse due to a larger population.
Kind of an interesting observation.

No way to know for sure, but I did look up the number of baby boomers in the US. The total is given as 76 million just in the US. There were 50 million deaths world wide in WW2, and 418,000 Americans but you would have to consider that an awful lot of the baby boomers would have been born anyway, so there is that....
But then clearly, you are talking about much more than WW2. As they say in poker, "Ill see your Spanish Inquisition, and raise you one Bubonic Plague"

And then you may have to consider that world wide, population growth has slowed to about zero. The birth explosion is almost over and now growth is due to people living longer. Earth's population will soon begin to decline.

Quote:
Overall, the world’s 1950 to 1955 Fertility Rate of 4.95 has declined by more than half and now stands at 2.36. Professional demographers tell us this will continue and that perhaps as early as 2050 and no later than 2100, the Earth’s population will begin declining. The “graying” that has plagued Japan and Europe will envelop the planet.
https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...opulation-myth

Old 04-22-2017, 12:54 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
My definition of overcrowding is anything above the threshold needed to maintain intellectual and technical growth to carry the species forward. A world population of about one billion looks good to me.

Those who don't think the world is overpopulated, tell that to the dying poor in India, Africa, etc.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Left vague on purpose, as I do not exactly known what the greatest lie is.

Is it slavery? Moon landing? The cover-up of genocide on Native Americans, then using their names for everything a large Cheesequake etc?

Discuss.
"Just the tip"

Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Left vague on purpose, as I do not exactly known what the greatest lie is.

Is it slavery? Moon landing? The cover-up of genocide on Native Americans, then using their names for everything a large Cheesequake etc?

Discuss.
"Greatest" is subjective. But one big great lie is that Napoleon was short. He wasn't.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
The Earth is not round it is flat damnit ! ! ! !

Old 04-22-2017, 09:02 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
a fact is just a theory that hasnt been proven wrong yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History