U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 AM

5,883 posts, read 2,277,239 times

Advertisements

Here is a good link to the above
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resett..._(Newfoundland)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 02:08 PM

7,139 posts, read 5,068,407 times
Since the Empire State building was constructed in 1931, there have been 36 people that have jumped from it. The first was while it was still under construction when a laid off carpenter dived down an elevator shaft. The most famous was Evelyn McHale in 1947.

Evelyn McHale

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/bea...building-1947/

The Story Behind the "The Most Beautiful Suicide" Picture of Evelyn McHale (1947) - Atchuup! - Cool Stories Daily

Jesse James' mother, Zerelda, was six feet tall and attended a Catholic girls school when she was 14.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:39 AM

Old Newspaper Articles

St. Louis Republic October 31, 1903

THINKS AIRSHIPS ARE AFTER HIM

Washington, Oct 30---Edward Tanner, 33 years old, a native of Switzerland, and a crank, tried to see the President today, but, he did not get far beyond the doors of the executive offices before his condition was discovered.
He was taken to police headquarters and later to St. Elizabeth Insane Asylum. His delusion is that he is being continually pursued by airships. He thought the President would make them stop bothering him. Tanner said he had a wife in Memphis, Tenn., but that he came direct from northern Montana to see the president. He has been in the city since Monday.

Iron County Register October 16, 1902 Pg2

SHE WAS A REAL ANCIENT

Chicago, Oct 12---A woman who, according to her own report, was living at the time of the Boston Tea Party and the meeting of the first continental congress, is dead at the home for the aged colored people.
If the reports of her age should be correct, she was the oldest person in Illinois, and possibly the United States. The woman was Ellen Stewart, a slave before the Civil War, three times married, and mother of four children, the last of whom died several years ago of old age.
According to her story, she was born in 1770, and consequently was 132 years old. The officials of the institution in which she died, after an investigation as thorough as could be made, credited her statement.
Until within a few months of her death, the woman was in complete control of her senses, and told many stories of men and women distinguished in the earlier days of Virginia and Kentucky. She was born in Virginia.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 AM

The Weekly Graphic (Adair County, Mo) October 30, 1880

A RELIC

An anchor weighing 1,100 pounds has been fished up off the Island of Trinidad. It is stamped " 1497 " and is believed to have belonged to Columbus' third expedition to America.

On November 23, 1932, three members of Pretty Boy Floyd's gang tried to rob a black-owned bank in an all black town.

Historic Black Town, Boley OK, Fended OFF

This one ranks up there with Coffeyville and Northfield for bank robbing blunders.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:13 AM

William Gray is credited with inventing the coin payphone in the U.S. in 1889, and George A Long was its developer. The first telephone booth in London, England, was probably installed near the Staple Inn in High Hoborn in May 1903. (Wikipedia)

Lon Chaney Jr. is the only actor to portray all four of Universal's major horror characters :
The Wolf Man
The Mummy
Count Dracula
Frankenstein's Monster

Frank H Moser (1886-1964)
He was a cartoonist who co-founded Terrytoons.
His wife committed suicide after the death of their daughter. He got shafted by his business partner.
In 1938 he ran over 5-year-old Manfred Hauptman, son of Bruno Hauptman of the Lindbergh kidnapping case, who ran out in the street in front of his car, and had to shell out $23,500 for the boy's injuries.
One bad thing after another.

Stripper's Guide: Ink-Slinger Profiles: Frank Moser

Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 AM

The Farmington Times (St. Francois County, Mo) April 17, 1913 Pg2

Mother Mary Rock, Superior of the Convent of the Poor Clares, at Omaha Nebraska, and a cousin of Pope Leo XIII, died at the convent of shock as the result of the Easter cyclone, which wrecked the convent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't find any more information about her. I know what EF4 tornadoes are like, I remember when that Good Friday twister hit us a few years back. I was watching the weatherman giving the estimated time of arrival, " There is a huge tornado on the ground, radar has indicated a large debris ball."
Before I lost power he said it would be in my town in one minute and 22 seconds. I couldn't see anything out the rear window because of the swirling rain and most of the view was blocked because someone decided to plant a tree next to the house. I tried to look out the back door but the pressure was too great, felt like somebody was pulling on it from the outside. I went and opened the front door to peek out and through all the rain and wind saw my trash can get sucked straight up in the air and disappear. I shut the door and went into the hall, that house had no basement. The roar was incredible.

The whole house was shaking and vibrating, then I heard strange noises, the joists in the attic were cracking and snapping. There was a loud whistling sound as the wind was blowing through where the roof once was. Then it got real quiet. The whole thing lasted about 30 seconds. I went outside to observe the damage.

The roof had been lifted off and set back down cockeyed, a couple windows blown out and most of the siding gone. Some of the neighbors had it much worse and some weren't touched at all. Soon the streets were filled with hoards of people shining flashlights yelling, " Are you ok ?"

Took a long time to clean up the mess in the neighborhood and to get power restored. The sound of chainsaws everyday and the sight of fly-by-night traveling Murphys looking for roofing jobs.
The insurance company finally came out of hiding and sent a guy over. I got a check for $8,000.
My buddies and I did the roof ourselves. Insurance company wasn't happy about that, the Hell with them.
Surprisingly no one was killed or injured from that monster.

Here is some info on the Easter Tornado of 1913

https://www.weather.gov/oax/omahatornado

Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Armless 12-Year-Old Boy Snatches Train

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...s-rolling.html

Taney County Republican October 5, 1905

Chief Rain-In-The-Face, just before his death a short time ago, confessed that he killed General Custer, June 25, 1876, saying, " I killed him. I was so close I could see the powder that blackened his face."

Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 AM

19 posts, read 5,263 times
WOW really interesting

Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 AM

The Hidden History Of The Laundry Chute

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-chute/516963/

The St. Louis Republic March 14, 1901 Pg2

A Kansas couple in smallpox quarantine were married by a preacher who used a megaphone to perform the ceremony at a safe distance.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:27 AM

The News Boy (Scott County Missouri) July 13, 1895

COULDN'T FIND HIS MAN

Monday a representative citizen from Morley came into the Newsboy office, said he had read about the telephone and wanted to try the machine. He was told that it would cost him fifteen cents. A puzzled expression covered his face as he ransacked his pockets in a hopeless effort to unearth some coin, and out he went.

Presently he returned with the cash and was told to go in and ring up either Commerce or Morley. He went. The office force was very busy and the man at the phone had been forgotten about, then, long, loud shrieks of blasphemy were heard in our private office where the phone is located. The editor rushed in to see what was up, and as he opened the door a strange spectacle met his gaze.

The Morley man was puffing and sweating and had his ear to the speaking tube, trying to talk through the receiver. The editor smiled as he told the man he must talk through the tube and put the receiver to his ear.

" Oh, I thought the blamed thing wasn't working right," said the man as he put the receiver to his ear and a moment later, looked out the window in wonderment. He observed everything closely on the outside, looked at the editor and then again put the receiver to his ear.

In a jiffy he flung the receiver aside, hauled off his coat and started out the back door, declaring he would mop up the earth with the ****** ***** that was out there yelling " Hello " at him.

With much difficulty he was quieted down and told that it was only the operator at the other end answering his call.

Those early phones sure were funky looking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_telephone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or