U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 AM
 
Location: London
4,336 posts, read 3,627,262 times
Reputation: 1977

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I hope the shipbuilders got paid in Pound Sterling or gold.
They made ships for the north and south. The Confederate navy had Liverpool as a defacto home port. Many merchants who dealt with the south became bankrupt.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2019, 06:58 AM
 
12,165 posts, read 18,321,234 times
Reputation: 18877
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF0ster View Post
At the beginning of the video, according to DiLorenzo, he grew up in Pennsylvania, went to Thaddeus Stevens Middle School, and sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic. He had been educated like many Americans; he thought that Lincoln was the man who had saved the Union and freed the slaves.

However, the standard account of Civil War history sounded funny to him even when he was a child. Later in life, he did his own research, and changed his opinions.

Beyond DiLorenzo's questionable involvement with a white nationalist groups, below is the problem:

He found out what he learned in High School about Lincoln was not correct. Good. Then he did his research and found some conflicting information. That's all good, Lincoln was a but a man, not a saint. He was a man of his times and as a man had his own flaws and demons.
But now he has drifted to the other extreme. In fact he made a career out of it, so now he has an agenda -writing books, creating videos, getting paid for conferences. Once you have an agenda, you are no longer objective. You are digging into everything about Lincoln that is negative and taking it out of it's historical context and ignoring the justification. To him now, Lincoln is a white supremecist. The concept is not only incorrect, it's ridiculous.
I will leave you with a few critical excerts from Wiki:
  • Writing for The Daily Beast, Rich Lowry described DiLorenzo's technique in this book as the following: "His scholarship, such as it is, consists of rummaging through the record for anything he can find to damn Lincoln, stripping it of any nuance or context, and piling on pejorative adjectives. In DiLorenzo, the Lincoln-haters have found a champion with the judiciousness and the temperament they deserve."
  • Reviewing for The Independent Review, a think tank associated with DiLorenzo, Richard M. Gamble called the book a "travesty of historical method and documentation". He said the book was plagued by a "labyrinth of [historical and grammatical] errors", and concluded that DiLorenzo has "earned the ... ridicule of his critics."
  • n his review for the Claremont Institute, Ken Masugi writes that "DiLorenzo adopts as his own the fundamental mistake of leftist multi-culturalist historians: confusing the issue of race with the much more fundamental one, which was slavery." ... Masugi called DiLorenzo's work "shabby" and stated that DiLorenzo's treatment of Lincoln was "feckless" and that the book is "truly awful"
  • Reviews in The Washington Post and Publishers Weekly both stated that the book seemed directed at unnamed scholars who had praised Lincoln's contributions. Justin Ewers criticized DiLorenzo, saying this book "is more of a diatribe against a mostly unnamed group of Lincoln scholars than a real historical analysis. His wild assertions – for example, that Lincoln held 'lifelong white supremacist views' – don't help his argument."

The video you posted was garbage, as is his works. But don't give up - the truth is out there, but it's not with one extreme, or the other.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Texas
35,062 posts, read 19,171,984 times
Reputation: 20651
^^^

A good summary of that Confederate apologist's rants.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 07:33 AM
 
Location: New York Area
15,605 posts, read 6,163,298 times
Reputation: 12185
Default Funny money has its risks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I hope the shipbuilders got paid in Pound Sterling or gold.
They made ships for the north and south. The Confederate navy had Liverpool as a defacto home port. Many merchants who dealt with the south became bankrupt.
Being paid in secessionist currency or obligations has its definite hazards.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 01:31 PM
 
12 posts, read 1,323 times
Reputation: 15
Note to the OP: as you might expect, I disagree with the above statements about DiLorenzo and the video in which he was interviewed. If I may suggest, you could search for DiLorenzo videos in YouTube ( " Thomas DiLorenzo Lincoln " ), listen to them, and make up your own mind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 03:53 PM
 
582 posts, read 123,693 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF0ster View Post
Note to the OP: as you might expect, I disagree with the above statements about DiLorenzo and the video in which he was interviewed. If I may suggest, you could search for DiLorenzo videos in YouTube ( " Thomas DiLorenzo Lincoln " ), listen to them, and make up your own mind.
Another graduate of Youtube University...

You know, posting I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY - WATCH THIS HOUR-LONG VIDEO is:
1) extremely lazy
2) poor form
3) pointless

All you've said is that you love this guy who hates Lincoln, and you care nothing about what actual historians (DiLorenzo is an economist, not a historian) have to say about him. In other words, your assessment of a person's credibility is based entirely on whether or not that person says things you like. Furthermore, what does DiLorenzo have to say? That Lincoln was a racist. No! Really? That's his (and your) revelation? No kidding. You won't find many people on this forum who are floored by that - most of us here are fully aware of that. Lincoln was, as another poster, a product of his time. He prioritized union above emancipation. The fact that you think this is a big revelation speaks only to the fact that you've only recently discovered this rather elementary fact of American history.

And it doesn't change the fact that, as soon as he had the political capital to do so, he used that capital to free the slaves. Which is, of course, ultimately the reason behind most of the loathing of Lincoln.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 PM
 
12 posts, read 1,323 times
Reputation: 15
Since DiLorenzo was intelligent enough to earn a PhD in Economics from a major university, it stands to reason that he is intelligent enough to write books of history as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 12:13 PM
 
Location: New York Area
15,605 posts, read 6,163,298 times
Reputation: 12185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF0ster View Post
Since DiLorenzo was intelligent enough to earn a PhD in Economics from a major university, it stands to reason that he is intelligent enough to write books of history as well.
Possibly, but there is a different orientation between being an economist and being a historian. One can do both but perhaps more proficiently in one than the other.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,381 posts, read 18,470,907 times
Reputation: 18554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF0ster View Post
Since DiLorenzo was intelligent enough to earn a PhD in Economics from a major university, it stands to reason that he is intelligent enough to write books of history as well.
Since DiLorenzo was intelligent enough to earn a PhD in Economics from a major university, it stands to reason that he is intelligent enough to write books about nuclear physics as well. Or any other subject.

Does it also work in reverse? James McPherson is intelligent enough to have earned a Ph.D. in history at Johns Hopkins University, so it stands to reason that he could write books about economics as well?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 02:31 PM
 
1,584 posts, read 2,329,915 times
Reputation: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF0ster View Post
Since DiLorenzo was intelligent enough to earn a PhD in Economics from a major university, it stands to reason that he is intelligent enough to write books of history as well.
How so?

DiLorenzo's "history writing" wouldn't fly in a freshmen history class at most universities. It is complete rubbish.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top