Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:04 AM

33 posts, read 45,296 times

Advertisements

I understand why, right after WWII and before Vietnam, but never the less it was extremely brutal, with close to 34,000 dead just on the American side. And it still has huge repercussions to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 03:53 AM

33 posts, read 45,296 times
Saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9H7XplkI54

Really amazing, and very very sad near the end

Old 09-19-2017, 04:53 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,864,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I understand why, right after WWII and before Vietnam, but never the less it was extremely brutal, with close to 34,000 dead just on the American side. And it still has huge repercussions to this day.
Not to mention 1/5th of the North Korean population died as a result.
Given we are no longer at war with Germany, Japan, or Vietnam, it's probably best if we start learning more about the war that's still technically ongoing.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 AM

16,357 posts, read 10,372,651 times
Victories stir our soul and swell our pride. Defeats cause sorrow and reflection. But stalemates? They just seem kind of pointless. Maybe that's why the Korean War doesn't get much recognition.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,759,025 times
Yes I do. The Korean war was one of most shining success stories in history. Look how South Korea prospered and became such a huge success. We truly kept the Koreans free so that they could use their abilities to prosper. But I think that we have done what we could and should now get out.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:51 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,469,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Victories stir our soul and swell our pride. Defeats cause sorrow and reflection. But stalemates? They just seem kind of pointless. Maybe that's why the Korean War doesn't get much recognition.
The Korean War was a victory from both the U.S. and South Korean perspectives. The objectives of the war, keeping South Korea from being entirely conquered and rolling back the seizures that had taken place, were accomplished. The mission-creep objectives (conquest of the South, invasion of China) were not accomplished, but that has no bearing on the fact that the objectives over which the war was launched were met. After all, no one thinks that the UK 'lost' the Falklands War because they didn't invade Argentina and seize Buenos Aires. Their objective was to reverse the Argentine takeover of the islands. And this was accomplished. So, too, was the Korean War successfully prosecuted.

But I think you're right about perception, anyway; if there's not some glorious and tangible gain (such as territorial conquest) available for public consumption, a conflict will be seen as less than worthy by those who perceive war as a football game that needs a clear winner and loser, rather than as a pursuit of objectives that can usually be satisfied without conquest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Yes I do. The Korean war was one of most shining success stories in history. Look how South Korea prospered and became such a huge success. We truly kept the Koreans free so that they could use their abilities to prosper. But I think that we have done what we could and should now get out.
The U.S. participation in the Korean War was not an effort to, and did not result in, 'keeping the Koreans free'. Neither Koreans in the North nor in the South were free at the onset, and the perpetuation of South Korea's authoritarian government continued for over three more decades after the armistice. It is true that the South Korean system was a far cry from the Stalinist insanity north of the border, but that doesn't mean that it was free in any sense of the word.

Foreign policy - and armed conflict is merely foreign policy taken to a certain extreme - is a messy, inelegant business invariably fraught with realpolitik. This is not a criticism of the American participation in that war. It served both American and South Korean interests in both the short and long terms. But there is no need to whitewash history by pretending that it was something it wasn't.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 AM

983 posts, read 733,705 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War#Casualties

Quote:
estern sources estimate the PVA suffered about 400,000 killed and 486,000 wounded, while the KPA suffered 215,000 killed and 303,000 wounded.[32]
At least a lot of evil commie scum died.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:20 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,104,365 times
Quote:
This war occurred as I was in public school and living at home.

It received thorough newspaper coverage. But I do remember people being taken aback by how poorly the war went, and then the final stalemate and truce.

And then the silence. The Korean War just disappeared and was never talked about. I think the stalemate after the victories of WWII rather stunned Americans into face-saving forgetfulness after the flush of those great victories.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:11 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,834,079 times
Quote:
3 million dead on the North Korean side, thanks to our great country. Fair fight.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...fore-1.3227633

Old 09-22-2017, 05:13 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,834,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
'Stalemate' doesn't really do the casualty total justice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History