U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 AM
 
983 posts, read 542,738 times
Reputation: 458

Advertisements

Just in case it's thought that it was Democrat only Presidents here are the Republicans with Ulster roots


Ulysses Simpson - 1869-77

Chester Alan Arthur - 1881-85

William McKinley - 1897-1901

Benjamin Harrison - 1889-93

Theodore Roosevelt - 1901-09

Richard Milhouse Nixon - 1969-74

George Bush - 1989-93
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2018, 12:23 PM
 
983 posts, read 542,738 times
Reputation: 458
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 10:49 AM
 
983 posts, read 542,738 times
Reputation: 458
Newborn baby girl on ship captured by pirates named after pirate leaderís mum

Read more at: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/lifesty...-mum-1-8491479
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 02:20 PM
 
983 posts, read 542,738 times
Reputation: 458
The early movement



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 05:23 PM
 
5,106 posts, read 6,066,443 times
Reputation: 9677
^^^

True

My lines (on my mother's side) came from Londonderry to Chestnut Level, Pennsylvania and Ewing, New Jersey in 1732.

As things heated up with the Indians/French and Indian/English running of the Indian situation, they moved to western Virginia. Then the French and Indian War push it way down there/bounty land became available in South Carolina they moved to Abbeville, SC. That was about 1757/8.

Feb 1, 1760 the families were caught in an Indian Massacre as they were fleeing to a safer place and many were killed. My surviving multi great grandfather went back to Reedy Creek in Augusta County, VA and was killed in an Indian attack there in 1862.

so that fits pretty well with your posting.

My father's side were Border Reivers and came over to Georgia as undesirables, courtesy of the English government. They were landowners in North Carolina by 1806, but I am not sure what their timing was.

My impression is they were a tough and resilient people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 AM
 
983 posts, read 542,738 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
^^^

True

My lines (on my mother's side) came from Londonderry to Chestnut Level, Pennsylvania and Ewing, New Jersey in 1732.

As things heated up with the Indians/French and Indian/English running of the Indian situation, they moved to western Virginia. Then the French and Indian War push it way down there/bounty land became available in South Carolina they moved to Abbeville, SC. That was about 1757/8.

Feb 1, 1760 the families were caught in an Indian Massacre as they were fleeing to a safer place and many were killed. My surviving multi great grandfather went back to Reedy Creek in Augusta County, VA and was killed in an Indian attack there in 1862.

so that fits pretty well with your posting.

My father's side were Border Reivers and came over to Georgia as undesirables, courtesy of the English government. They were landowners in North Carolina by 1806, but I am not sure what their timing was.

My impression is they were a tough and resilient people.

Wee bit of a mix-up. Seems to be ok now

You certainly know your roots. I can only go back to Woodrow Wilson . When you say Londonderry is that the Londonderry in America or Ulster ?

They did indeed get into some bother with the Indians and when they hit back it wasn't very nice but it was hard times and a fight for survival. Think it was Logan a fellow Ulster man who put them on the front line as a barrier between the Quakers and the Indians.

Here is a clip which tells about the border reivers and even then it was a question of survival. I read that the reiver's wife would place his spurs on the table which meant that food was running low and he better get out and do some reiving.

The words leading onto the clip are '' For the Scotch-Irish '' .. more than with most other people


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNc3...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 AM
 
5,106 posts, read 6,066,443 times
Reputation: 9677
My multigreat grandfather was killed in1762. Sorry typed it wrong. They lived county Donegal and County Tyrone. Left through Londonderry Ireland to PA

Will look at the clip. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM
 
1,506 posts, read 921,540 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Just reading though Owen Wister book. Not sure what the President means when he mentions 'auxiliaries to the regular English soldiers '?
He probably means loyalist militias.

Colonists who remained loyal formed auxiliary militias whose duties could range from sentry, security patrols to front line combat depending on their level of motivation or the local situation.

Last edited by Cryptic; 06-04-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2018, 02:41 PM
 
983 posts, read 542,738 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My multigreat grandfather was killed in1762. Sorry typed it wrong. They lived county Donegal and County Tyrone. Left through Londonderry Ireland to PA

Will look at the clip. Thanks
Thanks that answers my query. A lot left from Londonderry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2018, 02:43 PM
 
983 posts, read 542,738 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
He probably means loyalist militias.

Colonists who remained loyal formed auxiliary militias whose duties could range from sentry, security patrols to front line combat depending on their level of motivation or the local situation.
Thanks Cryptic that's another one sorted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top