U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2019, 09:51 PM
 
630 posts, read 485,456 times
Reputation: 895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Andrew Jackson first Ulster-Scots President


https://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/ev...AKQO1uSsPNZ198
Andrew Jackson's ancestry was more English than Scottish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2019, 12:00 PM
 
1,478 posts, read 664,069 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
Andrew Jackson's ancestry was more English than Scottish.

His father,mother and brothers were all born in Ulster as far as I am aware. They lived in a cottage in Boneybefore and sailed to America from Carrickfergus which is a couple of miles from Boneybefore. Of course they may have come to Ulster by way of England and Scotland. Andrew was born in America 18 months later



As an aside Darbys Rangers were based in Boneybefore before going to Scotland and on to the war in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2019, 10:41 PM
 
630 posts, read 485,456 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
His father,mother and brothers were all born in Ulster as far as I am aware. They lived in a cottage in Boneybefore and sailed to America from Carrickfergus which is a couple of miles from Boneybefore. Of course they may have come to Ulster by way of England and Scotland. Andrew was born in America 18 months later



As an aside Darbys Rangers were based in Boneybefore before going to Scotland and on to the war in Europe.
The Jacksons had come to Ulster several generations before Andrew's birth from England, as had most or all of his maternal line and most of the rest of his paternal line. None of his ancestors have been definitely traced back to Scotland although it is not improbable that some were from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 11:12 AM
 
1,478 posts, read 664,069 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
The Jacksons had come to Ulster several generations before Andrew's birth from England, as had most or all of his maternal line and most of the rest of his paternal line. None of his ancestors have been definitely traced back to Scotland although it is not improbable that some were from there.

Aye, it seems to be that the Jackson's were in the north of England. The border area between Scotland and England was Reiver country but whether the Jacksons were in that area I don't know. I have visited the Jackson home in Boneybefore and I got a book about the Jacksons when I was there. Will have a look at it and see what it says. I know the American Consul visited a house reputed to be the home of the Jacksons in an area called Ballinary but this was maybe a family connection to the Boneybefore Jacksons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 11:33 AM
 
1,478 posts, read 664,069 times
Reputation: 658
It does have on the cover Cumbria which is near to the border. Australia is mentioned and also the family tree of the Jacksons
Attached Thumbnails
Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20190513_18235649.jpg   Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20190513_18260337.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 11:57 AM
 
1,478 posts, read 664,069 times
Reputation: 658
Map showing how the Ulster-Scots travelled down the Wagon Road from Delaware and other ports
Attached Thumbnails
Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulsterday20190531_17140556.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 11:36 AM
 
1,478 posts, read 664,069 times
Reputation: 658
Some pics from the Ulster-Scots Centre Old Hickory and his link to Ulster


https://www.facebook.com/UlsterScots...&theater&ifg=1
Attached Thumbnails
Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-ulster-scots-centre-pic.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 02:37 AM
 
564 posts, read 386,503 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
It does have on the cover Cumbria which is near to the border. Australia is mentioned and also the family tree of the Jacksons
Ulsterman, the family tree you posted is for Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, a famous Confederate general. He was not related to President Andrew Jackson. You're confusing your Jacksons from American history.

If Thomas and Andrew were related, then their relationship would go back hundreds or even thousands of years--long before any surviving written records could prove their relationship. Most historians agree today that Andrew Jackson and Stonewall Jackson were not related at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 11:53 AM
 
1,478 posts, read 664,069 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Ulsterman, the family tree you posted is for Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, a famous Confederate general. He was not related to President Andrew Jackson. You're confusing your Jacksons from American history.

If Thomas and Andrew were related, then their relationship would go back hundreds or even thousands of years--long before any surviving written records could prove their relationship. Most historians agree today that Andrew Jackson and Stonewall Jackson were not related at all.

Yes, you are right but I was aware that they were different and am sorry if this didn't come across in my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 12:32 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,887 posts, read 27,156,907 times
Reputation: 8945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Map showing how the Ulster-Scots travelled down the Wagon Road from Delaware and other ports
Ulsterman, that map has a bit of a problem. The start point for the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road was Philadelphia. It's unclear if the top Delaware is referring to the Delaware Indians (Lenni Lenape) or the Delaware River. Since some other tribes are designed, it may be the Delaware/Lenni Lenape indigenous people.

It's not you. It's the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top