Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 01:06 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ulsterman, that map has a bit of a problem. The start point for the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road was Philadelphia. It's unclear if the top Delaware is referring to the Delaware Indians (Lenni Lenape) or the Delaware River. Since some other tribes are designed, it may be the Delaware/Lenni Lenape indigenous people.

It's not you. It's the map.

Aye, southbound I just copied it. First I ever heard/aware of it was in Blackpool England many years ago. On the wall of a bar was a framed picture which showed a man in buckskins and the writing on it had The Ulster and Delaware Railway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Aye, southbound I just copied it. First I ever heard/aware of it was in Blackpool England many years ago. On the wall of a bar was a framed picture which showed a man in buckskins and the writing on it had The Ulster and Delaware Railway.

If memory is correct this is the same as the one I saw on the wall in Blackpool England. Of course I said railway instead of railroad...
Attached Thumbnails
Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-delaware-ulster-railway.jpg  

Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
If memory is correct this is the same as the one I saw on the wall in Blackpool England. Of course I said railway instead of railroad...
Ulsterman, my guess on that would be a train line possibly running from Ulster, NY to the Delaware Water Gap. The Delaware Water Gap is the start of the Delaware River.

The other map I think was designating the Delaware/Lenni Lenape tribe, but not very accurately. Locations of other tribes isn't quite accurate, either. The start of the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road is at Philadelphia, which they failed to identify.

When immigrants from Ulster Province arrived, in the colonial era, they usually went to Philadelphia, but sometimes would leave the ship at Wilmington and head west toward Lancaster in Pennsylvania. Initially what became Delaware was part of the Penn family's grant. It was set off as a separate state later in the 18th century. The English named the Delaware River, then called the native people near the river Delaware, but their actual tribal name was Lenni Lenape. Many of the Lenni Lenape were pushed onto a reservation in Burlington County in Southern New Jersey in the 1750s, called the Brotherton Reservation.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-16-2019 at 12:40 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Ulsterman, my guess on that would be a train line possibly running from Ulster, NY to the Delaware Water Gap. The Delaware Water Gap is the start of the Delaware River.

The other map I think was designating the Delaware/Lenni Lenape tribe, but not very accurately. Locations of other tribes isn't quite accurate, either. The start of the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road is at Philadelphia, which they failed to identify.

When immigrants from Ulster Province arrived, in the colonial era, they usually went to Philadelphia, but sometimes would leave the ship at Wilmington and head west toward Lancaster in Pennsylvania. Initially what became Delaware was part of the Penn family's grant. It was set off as a separate state later in the 18th century. The English named the Delaware River, then called the native people near the river Delaware, but their actual tribal name was Lenni Lenape. Many of the Lenni Lenape were pushed onto a reservation in Burlington County in Southern New Jersey in the 1750s, called the Brotherton Reservation.

Thanks for that information Southbound it is all new to me. I have read that there were 5 ships which brought the Ulster-Scots to America. Charleston is the only port given which I can remember but others were mentioned too .

Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 AM

Couldn't find the link I was looking for but here are a couple which give an idea of those times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00cggfh

The Contribution of ULSTER to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Old 06-16-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that information Southbound it is all new to me. I have read that there were 5 ships which brought the Ulster-Scots to America. Charleston is the only port given which I can remember but others were mentioned too .
For regular people who were immigrating to the colonies from Ulster, Philadelphia was the number one destination, by far, Ulsterman. For prisoners, particularly Jacobites, the ships went to coastal areas, including the Carolinas. The Carolinas got a disproportionate numbers of prisoners because of the large numbers of plantations near the coastal area, including rice plantations.

The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road was mostly an old Indian trail. Modern interstate highways, I 77, and I 81, as well as the Pennsylvania Turnpike approximate the old road. The interstates and the turnpike go beyond the scope of the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road. The settlers hauled their belongings in Conestoga wagons which were usually built by German settlers.

Keep in mind that, unlike most other colonies, Maryland & Pennsylvania were not royal colonies. Pennsylvania was run by the Penn family and Maryland belonged to the Calvert family. The grants also overlapped. The boundary dispute was finally settled and the boundary line was marked by English surveyors, Mr. Mason and Mr. Dixon. (the Mason-Dixon line)

The ad for the railroad line is much newer than the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road. It references the Catskill mountains. The Catskills are a mountain resort area that is popular with people in New York City. Philadelphians prefer the Poconos, which are south of the Catskills. The man who is pictured is supposed to be Rip Van Winkle. Rip Van Winkle is a popular children's story written by Washington Irving.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
For regular people who were immigrating to the colonies from Ulster, Philadelphia was the number one destination, by far, Ulsterman. For prisoners, particularly Jacobites, the ships went to coastal areas, including the Carolinas. The Carolinas got a disproportionate numbers of prisoners because of the large numbers of plantations near the coastal area, including rice plantations.

The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road was mostly an old Indian trail. Modern interstate highways, I 77, and I 81, as well as the Pennsylvania Turnpike approximate the old road. The interstates and the turnpike go beyond the scope of the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road. The settlers hauled their belongings in Conestoga wagons which were usually built by German settlers.

Keep in mind that, unlike most other colonies, Maryland & Pennsylvania were not royal colonies. Pennsylvania was run by the Penn family and Maryland belonged to the Calvert family. The grants also overlapped. The boundary dispute was finally settled and the boundary line was marked by English surveyors, Mr. Mason and Mr. Dixon. (the Mason-Dixon line)

The ad for the railroad line is much newer than the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road. It references the Catskill mountains. The Catskills are a mountain resort area that is popular with people in New York City. Philadelphians prefer the Poconos, which are south of the Catskills. The man who is pictured is supposed to be Rip Van Winkle. Rip Van Winkle is a popular children's story written by Washington Irving.

You certainly know the history and background of the arrivals to the New World. The Carolinas were when I first read about the 5 ships. It give a list of some of the people and their ministers but I can't find it now.

I came across a piece which said that the Ulster-Scots did not celebrate Christmas.

Thanks for enlightening me re the Great Philadelphia, Pennsylvania etc

Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You certainly know the history and background of the arrivals to the New World. The Carolinas were when I first read about the 5 ships. It give a list of some of the people and their ministers but I can't find it now.

I came across a piece which said that the Ulster-Scots did not celebrate Christmas.

Thanks for enlightening me re the Great Philadelphia, Pennsylvania etc
You're welcome, Ulsterman.

I don't know whether the Scotch-Irish celebrated Christmas. I never heard that. The Puritans in Massachusetts did not. Now the Germanic settlers in Pennsylvania had Christmas trees, but they didn't become popular, overall, until Prince Albert brought them to the UK.

I learned about the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road while doing genealogy. I think that there was a large group who immigrated to the Carolinas after Culloden, but I think that they were mostly from Scotland, including Flora McDonald.

The people who went down the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road were frequently born in the New World. The people who were on the coast were usually new arrivals. There were exceptions, of course.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
You're welcome, Ulsterman.

I don't know whether the Scotch-Irish celebrated Christmas. I never heard that. The Puritans in Massachusetts did not. Now the Germanic settlers in Pennsylvania had Christmas trees, but they didn't become popular, overall, until Prince Albert brought them to the UK.

I learned about the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road while doing genealogy. I think that there was a large group who immigrated to the Carolinas after Culloden, but I think that they were mostly from Scotland, including Flora McDonald.

The people who went down the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road were frequently born in the New World. The people who were on the coast were usually new arrivals. There were exceptions, of course.

Just three articles about the Ulster-Scots. The first is about their attitude to Christmas.

https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.c...christmas.html

https://thescotsirish.blogspot.com/2...ots-irish.html

https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.c...om-across.html

Old 07-04-2019, 01:12 PM

A happy 4th of July from Ulster
Attached Thumbnails
Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish-america-ulster.jpg  

Last edited by Ulsterman; 07-04-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History