U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 AM

977 posts, read 541,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Maybe this is off-topic, but don't forget the Highlanders, the first of whom immigrated to Savanah and Darien, GA.
Your correct to raise that subject. I myself am not aware of just how much they contributed to the making of America or when they immigrated to the new world and in what numbers.

I know there is a Tartan Day in the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Bought the 'Tele' this morning and read the story of Robert Campbell. Then I came across it on their site.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/e...-36604522.html

Old 02-15-2018, 12:46 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,386,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Bought the 'Tele' this morning and read the story of Robert Campbell. Then I came across it on their site.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/e...-36604522.html
Can't rep you again but great story Ulsterman, thanks for sharing it with us, sincerely. It was a great story and it seems to me that you know more American history than we here in the states do.

You're very keen on this subject...and that is a benefit to all of us.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Can't rep you again but great story Ulsterman, thanks for sharing it with us, sincerely. It was a great story and it seems to me that you know more American history than we here in the states do.

You're very keen on this subject...and that is a benefit to all of us.
HomeIsWhere, Tracing our background is something I like and that's half the battle Most went from Ulster in the 1700s (though the first ship Eagle Wing went in 1634 but had to turn back). 250,000 is the figure usually quoted. But there was also an exodus in the 1800s and Robert Campbell was among them. Its reckoned that over 100,000 left for America in that period.

You said you watched God's Frontiersmen. Was that a clip from YT ? The whole film is around 3 hours.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,386,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
HomeIsWhere, Tracing our background is something I like and that's half the battle Most went from Ulster in the 1700s (though the first ship Eagle Wing went in 1634 but had to turn back). 250,000 is the figure usually quoted. But there was also an exodus in the 1800s and Robert Campbell was among them. Its reckoned that over 100,000 left for America in that period.

You said you watched God's Frontiersmen. Was that a clip from YT ? The whole film is around 3 hours.
I did view it on YT which by count was just short of 40 minutes in length. I have looked online for a dvd and did not find any. I did find the book in hardcover on Amazon and if I cannot find it on dvd then I will resort to purchasing the book and put it on my stack of books to read. Prefer the 'movie version, however.

If you're familiar with the ability to purchase this 3 hour film I would be more than happy to hear about it as I am sure others may be as well.

Thanks again for all of the posts, contributions and progression of these Ulster-Scots.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I did view it on YT which by count was just short of 40 minutes in length. I have looked online for a dvd and did not find any. I did find the book in hardcover on Amazon and if I cannot find it on dvd then I will resort to purchasing the book and put it on my stack of books to read. Prefer the 'movie version, however.

If you're familiar with the ability to purchase this 3 hour film I would be more than happy to hear about it as I am sure others may be as well.

Thanks again for all of the posts, contributions and progression of these Ulster-Scots.
Your welcome HIW, Its good that some you and others have an interest. HIW, there was never a movie made of it. It was a series on Ulster Television and I was lucky enough to have the foresight to copy it onto video as each episode came on. That 40 minute one is made from various parts I posted on YT. Other parts of the video relate to happenings in Ulster..the 1798 rebellion, the formation of Carson's Army etc

I have it on DVD but the USA is a different format. I think most of the American parts are the ones I posted on YT.

The book has also chapters about the Ulster-Scots in Australia and New Zealand.

I'll see what I can do re posting it.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:46 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
I think my paternal ancestors were Ulster Scots Irish. My Greats on my dad's side were named McGhee.

He always believed his was Irish (and Indian), and would tease my mom about her Scots ancestry...but from studying the name Mcghee, and other stuff I've read...I don't think he was really Irish at all. I think he'd roll in his grave if he knew that. lol

Old 02-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think my paternal ancestors were Ulster Scots Irish. My Greats on my dad's side were named McGhee.

He always believed his was Irish (and Indian), and would tease my mom about her Scots ancestry...but from studying the name Mcghee, and other stuff I've read...I don't think he was really Irish at all. I think he'd roll in his grave if he knew that. lol

McGhee or Magee is fairly common on this side of the 'sheugh' but with 250,000 plus who went to America it might be a bit of a job to find a connection. Not trying to promote the Billy Kennedy books but he does mainly focus on family links and not the deeds of the Ulster-Scots. I have a few of his books and will have a look at the index's to see if there is a McGhee/Magee.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:40 PM

A piece about one McGhee family.

Charles McClung McGhee 1828-1907

This emminent Tennessee finiancier was the great grandson of a native-born Ulster couple who settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania about 1746. His grandfather Barclay McGhee moved to East Tennessee in 1787 and when his father John died, Charles M, inherited about 15,000 acres of land in the Little Tennessee River valley.

He married Isabella White, a great granddaughter of James White. the founder of Knoxville, but she passed on within a year leaving a son who died in infancy. McGhee married Cornelia White, a sister and they had five children.

During the Civil War, he served as a staff officer and was a colonel in the commissary department of the Confederate Army, based in Knoxville. When the War ended McGhee ran the People's Bank of Knoxville and developed extensive coal and railroad interests in East Tennessee. He was responsible for the building of the Knoxville-Ohio rail network and set up links with the railways in Georgia and Virginia. For many years Charles McGhee was trustee, treasurer and secretary of the University of Tennessee. The Lawson McGhee Library in Knoxville is named after his daughter.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:06 PM

901 posts, read 389,103 times
I also would like to thank Ulsterman for all his informative and interesting posts on this thread. I just finished "Born Fighting" by James Webb, which I had heard of but forgotten about until I was reminded by an Ulsterman post. (iirc) It is a fascinating book and easy to read.

I'm actually a yank with very old and puritanical roots so it was wonderful to learn more about where a lot of the real grit came from when this country was being settled.

Thanks again to Ulsterman.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 02-16-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History