Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:40 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times

Advertisements

I think I might be descended from a Spanish sailor who washed up on the shores of Ireland after the Spanish Armada disaster. That could explain my fear of water.

Black Irish - Who Were The Black Irish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 05:58 PM

776 posts, read 393,898 times
The book "Albion's Seed" talks about the Puritans, the Quakers, the slaveowners, and the Scotch-Irish and the role that each had in settling America and the politics and culture of their descendents.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
My family came from Ulster Scots. Maybe it is why one of the things you inherit is a deep, deep deep stubborness. But the family tale is that some incident happened, and several of the family needed to get out of dodge but fast. So they joined those gathering to sail to America. They may or may not all have used their real name. Its on both sides of the family, dad's and moms, south and midwest.

In my family there is history of the younger members of a family packing up and moving on to find their own place, and given the cultural inheritance, it hasn't gone away. It came down the dna chain for me, too, just as stubborn as Dad which left Mom as referee.

America didn't become what it is by waiting for someone to fix it for them.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:49 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I've only met one person who confused the two, and that was on this forum (she just kept insisting the Irish didn't come to America until the 19th century and couldn't get her head around the fact that Scots-Irish wasn't the same as Irish). In real life, I've never met anyone who didn't know what Scots-Irish was.
Not sure PA2UK what you are meaning. The (famine) Irish did come in the 19th century..1840s. This was a 100 years after the Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish had arrived.

I get the other part of your post were you say she ' couldn't get her head around the fact that Scots-Irish wasn't the same as Irish '. That's why I think Ulster-Scots is better. It does give the difference and its also (generally speaking) true. I don't know off-hand of any who came from outside of Ulster

Old 01-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My family came from Ulster Scots. Maybe it is why one of the things you inherit is a deep, deep deep stubborness. But the family tale is that some incident happened, and several of the family needed to get out of dodge but fast. So they joined those gathering to sail to America. They may or may not all have used their real name. Its on both sides of the family, dad's and moms, south and midwest.

In my family there is history of the younger members of a family packing up and moving on to find their own place, and given the cultural inheritance, it hasn't gone away. It came down the dna chain for me, too, just as stubborn as Dad which left Mom as referee.

America didn't become what it is by waiting for someone to fix it for them.
Think you've summed up fairly well how some Ulster-Scots were. They were a mixture. Some were very religious others not so much and the whisky rebellion had large Ulster-Scots involvement.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I've only met one person who confused the two, and that was on this forum (she just kept insisting the Irish didn't come to America until the 19th century and couldn't get her head around the fact that Scots-Irish wasn't the same as Irish). In real life, I've never met anyone who didn't know what Scots-Irish was.
TO ULSTER'S CREDIT

Thus angrily and emphatically objected one of the Ulster clergymen to the disparaging remark. He had landed in 1718 in Massachussetts along with some 800 of his fellow countrymen. He himself, like many who had sailed with him, had taken an active part in the defence of Londonderry. It must have been extremely galling to veterans of the heroic stand in the ''Maiden City'' to be classed as similar in race to those who had been attacking it and trying to drive them out of Ulster. This careless lumping together of the two distinct races by the official has often been repeated, and has led to much misunderstanding and, even more, misrepresentation.

It has especially in America, been very much to the detriment of those of Ulster-Scottish blood. As a result of the protest on that occasion and of others later, the settlers from Ulster came to be known in America as '' the Scotch-Irish '' . Whilst this term did make a distinction between them and the Celtic Irish, it has often been taken as a combination of the two races, part Irish, part Scottish. It is a great pity the term used had not been '' Ulster-Scots ''as it would surely have been more accurate and would have prevented the Southern Irish and the so-called Irish-Americans from claiming outstanding Ulster Scottish achievements in America to their advantage.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:13 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Not sure PA2UK what you are meaning. The (famine) Irish did come in the 19th century..1840s. This was a 100 years after the Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish had arrived.
Yes, that's what I was telling this other person but she just kept thinking that by Scots-Irish, I meant Irish. So in her head, I was wrong for saying the Scots-Irish arrived during colonial times, and couldn't understand the difference between the two groups.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I was telling this other person but she just kept thinking that by Scots-Irish, I meant Irish. So in her head, I was wrong for saying the Scots-Irish arrived during colonial times, and couldn't understand the difference between the two groups.
I'm with you now. Her lack of understanding is repeated by many and my previous post mentions the way it should have been ie Ulster-Scots. The people came from Ulster but of course it could be said they came from Ireland and that's gives the loophole for those who wish to claim the achievements of the Ulster-Scots. However, on the island of Britain the Scots,English and Welsh are recognized as such and only sometimes are referred to as British. People from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen etc usually say they are Scottish and do not say British.

Back in 1921 America.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:07 PM

522 posts, read 715,300 times
Someone should enlighten the Americans its Scots Irish not scotCH Irish lmfao

Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony321 View Post
Someone should enlighten the Americans its Scots Irish not scotCH Irish lmfao
There are a number of Irish that have Scotch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History