Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:53 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Hello.

I am East Indian, so I am not well versed on the topic of Israel/Palestine/Jews and I apologize in advance if my post comes across as offensive. I know WW2 pretty well but I want to know why are the Jews despised by so many people- even so many years after the war.

Casually looking online you get a myriad of responses the most common being supremacists blame Jews for basically everything from the black emancipation to the waves of immigration. Another reason is they feel Jews are a pretty insular people who keep it in the family whilst getting wealthy. Then there are some religious/political reasons pertaining to the old land.
Many different reasons:
Jealousy ( after all they were God's chosen people).
Because they refuse to accept Christ?
Flip side they refuse Mohammed and do not recognize ALLAH.
Stereotypes
The list goes on.

Is JEWISH a racial description or a religious connotation? Big difference.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Shakespeare's Shylock the Jew & his pound of flesh , shows common perceptions in that era.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Reasons for not hating Jews:

Bagels, lox, pastrami, Dr. Brown's Cream Soda, burekas, rugelach, Hamentaschen, challah...
Funny I thought lox is a reason to be against them. And chopped liver.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Funny I thought lox is a reason to be against them. And chopped liver.
Obviously, you've never had either good lox or chopped liver. Both are absolutely fabulous!

Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Maybe the question shouldn't be why Jews are hated, rather it should be why they remain hated.

At various points in the settlement of the US, different groups served as the boogeyman. Germans were ridiculed and mocked until the second half of the 19th Century. The Irish were viewed as drunken brawlers with gutter morality. The Chinese were completely taboo until more recent times. Italians and eastern Europeans took their lumps in the late 19th and early 20th Century. And of course we should not overlook the long term, ongoing object of contempt, the native tribes and the black slaves.

So, it is evident that hating a specific group of people who aren't "like us" is a common and recurring phenomena. That Jews would receive this treatment is hardly a surprise. That they still are viewed with suspicion or loathing......?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:36 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Hello.

I am East Indian, so I am not well versed on the topic of Israel/Palestine/Jews and I apologize in advance if my post comes across as offensive. I know WW2 pretty well but I want to know why are the Jews despised by so many people- even so many years after the war.

Casually looking online you get a myriad of responses the most common being supremacists blame Jews for basically everything from the black emancipation to the waves of immigration. Another reason is they feel Jews are a pretty insular people who keep it in the family whilst getting wealthy. Then there are some religious/political reasons pertaining to the old land.
I think there are two main reasons.

First, I have observed that whenever people talk about Jews inevitably someone will equate them, in general, as being wealthy. I think wealthy people are generally viewed with jealousy, envy and contempt.

Second, I think many Jews tend to be somewhat insular (just like other minority groups) due to historical ostracization, harassment, and worse for being "different" and their insularity is viewed by those who don't understand it as aloofness, which in turn leads to Jews being resented, despised, hated, and all the other negative feelings.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:34 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Hello.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know anyone, personally, that has such views. None. Do you?

Old 02-14-2018, 01:36 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Add to this some composers & musicians. Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland, George Gershwin, Gustav Mahler, Felix Mendelssohn, Jacques Offenbach, Burt Bacharach, Irving Berlin, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Oscar Hammerstein, Billy Joel, Carole King, Barry Manilow, Richard Rodgers, Carly Simon, Paul Simon, Marvin Hamlisch, André Previn, and Lalo Schifrin, just to name a few.
Lou Reed and Joey Ramone. (Jeffrey Hyman)

Old 02-14-2018, 01:55 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
To be perfectly honest, I don't know anyone, personally, that has such views. None. Do you?
I do, surprisingly. I moved to the US from Germany and was shocked about how many people approached me (all men), wanting to talk about WWII and how we "at least got rid of them there" and other nasty remarks. Overall I hear lots of people talk poorly about Jewish people.
I think a lot of Jewish people are very smart, make very smart business decisions, favor their own kind (creates hatred), are cheap and frugal (just like many Germans) and this doesn't sit well with many Americans.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where is Saul's? And how long has it been there? I'm from Berkeley.
Oh, forever. Its on Shattuck in North Berkeley, right by Books Inc.

And incidentally just around the corner from the JCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History