Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 05:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times

Advertisements

Just so we're clear I'm going by this list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_..._Ancient_World

One thing that always caught my attention was the fact that no evidence has ever been found about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. I mean, we all know that the Great Pyramid of Giza is the only one left standing, but there have been many credible accounts about the other five and their existence has been well documented.

Do you think they were mythical structures or believe that they existed? Apparently they don't feature in any Babylonian text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Just so we're clear I'm going by this list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_..._Ancient_World

One thing that always caught my attention was the fact that no evidence has ever been found about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. I mean, we all know that the Great Pyramid of Giza is the only one left standing, but there have been many credible accounts about the other five and their existence has been well documented.

Do you think they were mythical structures or believe that they existed? Apparently they don't feature in any Babylonian text.
I believe something like it existed. I never understood the "no evidence" argument. A lot of historical places and things have never been discovered. Besides, any building foundation might have been the hanging gardens.

These things have a way of turning out to be right. The reason they haven't found Atlantis is because it wasn't a proper myth but a parable invented by Plato, but as for proper myths: they found Troy, they found Minoa, the tower of Babel is thought to be based on the Etemenaki, etc. They even recently found something like the tomb of Lars Porsena. There probably was a hanging gardens, and it will probably never be recognized as such.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Here is something for you: it seems to be well known that there actually was a garden palace and Nineveh, and it is a very common theory that it was attributed to Babylon out of bad translation. Babylon means "Gates of the Gods" and other cities may have co-opted the title.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...seven-wonders/

We have actually seen this kind of thing in other cultures, similar to all great cities in Mexico being called "Tulla," leading to its own confusions.

Sennacherib apprently built an extensive canal system, and there is apparently a stella in Sennacherib's palace depicting them.

And inscription about them reads:

I planted a great park beside the palace, like that of the Amanus Mountain, with all kinds of herbs and fruit trees which came from the mountains and from Babylonia

Apparently and Archimedes screw sytem was used. to water the gardens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyWLIaOse4s

Also, this story seems dubious because I am not seeing it reported in credible places, but it is worth a look:

https://www.salon.com/2017/03/12/did...ns-of-babylon/

Last edited by cachibatches; 02-26-2018 at 12:19 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Thanks for the links. I'll look into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History