Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,976,386 times

Advertisements

See London, Paris & Rome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM

444 posts, read 1,209,427 times
And Ireland must be just as romantic a place as Scotland? I do have to see those castles, I have only seen 2 castles in my life. Neuschwanstein, & Linderhoff, both built for Mad King Ludwig. I was so awestruck at the size, the atmosphere,and the background I just had my mouth open the whole time, must have looked like a tourist, lol.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
And Ireland must be just as romantic a place as Scotland? I do have to see those castles, I have only seen 2 castles in my life.
Ireland is indeed just as atmospheric.
Castles are steeped in atmosphere.
Ancient and evocative, castles lend themselves both to the imagination and to visualizing history as it really happened.
In that second Scotland trip, we had our younger son with us, he was in 4th grade at the time and we made a point of checking out castles.
One of our favorites was Eilean Doonan.

But we also enjoyed Borthwick Castle, a fortification that dates back to 1430, where Mary Queen of Scots stayed with the Earl of Bothwell. We spent the night there, too. We barely slept a wink because the wind whistled--loudly--through our room all night long. But it was still a very cool experience--definitely the highlight of our trip.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,259,912 times
Staying with the Ireland theme, I'd like to see Glendalough Monestary.... My saint is Saint Kevin and it's here in County Wicklow that he lived his life.....

I'd like to see it someday.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Staying with the Ireland theme, I'd like to see Glendalough Monestary.... My saint is Saint Kevin and it's here in County Wicklow that he lived his life.....

I'd like to see it someday.
Glendalough is really special place. I think I posted about it in another thread in this forum. Talk about atmosphere.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 PM

444 posts, read 1,209,427 times
Thanks for the pictures of Eileen Donan, that castle was given to a McKenzie by Robert the Bruce for his part in Bannockburn. McKenzie was stripped of his coat of arms later from what I understand. Do you know when Eileen Donan was built? Fergus Mor had Dunadd Fort I understand, what a beautiful place there too, I looked it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History