Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times

Advertisements

Johnson was a lying POS.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ews.humanities

His handling of the Vietnam war was a travesty.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyladybabykitten04 View Post
2 or 3 yrs ago there was an article that i read that said lbj had something to do with jfk assassination. i don't remember what source it came from because i heard it with my ears. will someone help me find out if this is true because sometimes i don't know what the true source is?

please don't do research before 2016 because i don't know if they were talking about that before that year.

yes the accusation of lbj was recent so you won't find it in newspapers. that's the reason how i got this idea for this post and wondering who he is. i thank anyone ahead of time if they help me to know if this is false or true.
Please give a reason why you believe this is true or false according to reports.

Around Christmas last year, a cousin of mine sent me this in an email, as she knew that I had an interest in the U.S. and was often over there.
As this was in 2017, it might be what you mean.
Whatever LBJ did or didn’t do for his fellow Americans, good or bad, I don’t know, as it didn’t affect me.
He came across as a good ol’ boy, who’d belch in the Oval Office, and barbeque a steer on the White House Lawn, sprinkling his conversations with epithets like, “He knows more ways to take you money than a roomful of lawyers”, and “Crooked as the Brazos”, “Slicker than a slop jar.” etc.
To us over here, he was the “cowboy” president, who out-cowboyed Regan.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ja...0093-237788131

Old 03-24-2018, 09:08 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
To us over here, he was the “cowboy” president, who out-cowboyed Regan.
Regan was Secretary of the Treasury from 1981 to 1985. Be historically accurate on the History sub-forum.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:10 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
https://www.heritage.org/marriage-an...-years-failure
According to the census bureau, the poverty rate in 2013 (presumably latest numbers available) was 14.5%, about the same as in 1964, when LBJ declared 'war on poverty.' And that is after $22 trillion of federal spending. Interestingly enough, current US debt is $21 trillion.

The link does view the census numbers as questionable (it's all in how 'poverty' is defined), but those are the census numbers.
I stand by the numbers in my earlier post. Spin it all you want. The real number is a reduction from about 22% to 13%.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Johnson has to accept responsibility for escalating American involvement in Vietnam. The problem with that is that the decision was not made in a vacuum. It was the product of bad foreign policy decisions made by a number of Presidents since the end of World War II and hysteria that surrounded the Cold War. Had Johnson not escalated American involvement in Vietnam, the South would have fallen to the North and everyone would have called him a "communist appeaser and sympathizer". There was no winning over this no matter what Johnson did. The decisions he made were right in accord with what all foreign policy advisers were telling him. Barry Goldwater actually suggested dropping nuclear bombs on Vietnam which could easily have lead to World War III. I submit that no one could have done much better than Johnson did. Vietnam was like a train coming down the tracks. Stopping that train would have required an enormous effort that very few people could have made.
Though the tactics were mistaken Goldwater was on to something. If the U.S. fights a war it should be to win. Let the U.S.S.R. decide if Vietnam is worth a third world war. We should have invaded the North. Also even if unsuccessful the Vietnam War gave Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia time to stabilize so that the U.S.S.R.’s technique of pot-stirring, dividing, stirring strife and then installing puppet governments would not work. Though at the time I favored Senator Aiken of Vermont’s idea of “declaring victory and going home a good one at the ripe age of 11, I no longer think that.

Quote:
Its (inflation) been much higher than that (6%) at other times. It was higher than that following both World War I and World War II. It was higher during the last part of the Carter presidential years. Six percent isn't great, but it isn't an unmanageable number.
The problem is that it wove its way into wage-price negotiations. Yes, inflation peaked at 12-14% in 1974 and 14% in1980, However the wage-price ratchet started in 1966 when the airline machinists, I think, burst through the Kennedy-era wage-price guideposts. As far as WW I inflation I think that was the fact that we were one of the few countries without physical damage. The prices soon thereafter dropped. After WW II and the Korean War inflation resulted from the elimination of wage and price controls.

Quote:
Nixon took us completely off the Gold Standard about 1971.
Quite true. Johnson and Nixon both had a party with the money supply. The hangover; not so much.

Quote:
Demonstrations against the war began about 1967. They steadily grew and popularity of the war declined. The problem with major foreign policy decisions is that they cannot be instantly reversed. Once arriving at a decision that the war could not be won, a strategy for gradually withdrawing the troops and ending American involvement in the war on honorable terms had to be constructed. It wasn't easy. The Paris Accords were not signed until 1973.
The demonstrations came from a sense that no one knew what they were doing.

Quote:
The ghetto riots were a function of decades of discrimination and had very little to do with LBJ. In fact, his civil rights legislation was aimed at trying to eliminate such problems from the fabric of America.
The riots didn’t start until the reforms started. The instigators were law breakers, period, full stop. Johnson allowed the situation to fester. About the only thing Nixon did good was the illegal, violent elimination of the Black Panthers and Weather Underground.

Quote:
I doubt this had anything to do with LBJ. It was a function of the times and changes in American culture. "Free love" became possible with the development of the birth control pill. I wonder what you think any President could have done about this.
See above. When the law of the land is not enforced anarchy ensues. Again quite a party. I have and love the album “Woodstock.” But great parties have a hangover.

Quote:
Anyone who had any doubts about Nixon need only review Watergate. The President literally sat in the oval office plotting how to bribe members of his administration to lie to a federal grand jury investigating the Watergate burglary. Payments of hush money were actually made at Nixon's direction with this intent. Other Presidents may have violated laws. What made Watergate unique was this President did so blatantly and with full knowledge he was breaking the law.
Add to it the fact that the August 15, 1971 initiatives, i.e. the wage-price freeze (followed by Phase II), devaluation of the dollar (the severance from the gold standard was actually in December), and the 10% across the board import tariffs had one goal in mind; the re-election of the President in 1972. In fact, 1972 had a halcyon quality. The stock market topped 1000 for the first time, peaking at 1051.70 on January 11, 1973. He took off the controls that day when he was safely re-elected. Nixon has to go down with Buchanan, Pierce, FDR, B. Hussein Obama and Carter as among our worst Presidents.

Quote:
Interesting you would say this. Right after Johnson succeeded in getting the Civil Rights Act of 1964 enacted he told people all around him that he thought the democrats had lost the South as a voting bloc for at least a generation. He was more concerned with the votes he lost than any he might be getting. In getting these laws passed, LBJ behaved more like a statesman than a politician. Since he never ran for reelection he never personally benefited if any new votes resulted from the passage of this legislation.
Here we agree. The blacks were long entitled to a place at the table. Johnson did the right thing.

Last edited by jbgusa; 03-24-2018 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 09:38 PM

2,068 posts, read 997,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Nixon has to go down with Buchanan, Pierce, FDR and Carter as among our worst Presidents.
You left out BO.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
LBJ was looooong before my time. Same for millions of others. He was president over 50 years ago. There have been 45 presidents. How much do people really talk about any of them except the last few? When was the last time you heard someone say something about Millard Fillmore?

Old 03-24-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
You left out BO.
Thanks. Fixed. Caught on time for editing.

But I probably should have thrown in Warren Gamaliel Harding.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:35 PM

764 posts, read 94,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And there were some of us including myself who got an all expenses paid trip to South East Asia.

Yeah, that’s what a lot of us remember him for.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:29 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Regan was Secretary of the Treasury from 1981 to 1985. Be historically accurate on the History sub-forum.

Okay, my bad, I realise that Johnson was President from 1963 until 1969, and that REAGAN was President from 1981 until 1989, I’ll go stand in the corner.
A weak excuse I know and accept, but I’m (hopefully) at the culmination of a kind of 48 hour ‘flu like bug, and the constant coughing, and attempts to suppress same, have left me with painful ribs, and made sleep difficult.
So I cracked open a bottle of Armagnac, fired up the iPad, and attempted to drink myself to sleep.
In the process of doing this I misspelled Reagan and typed Regan, but gimme a break, our clocks went forward this a.m., and if you check the time of my errant post, it was 4.00 a.m. here, and I must have been just getting into drowsy mode.
I got to sleep, but the booze plan backfired, I woke up with a raging thirst, and it’s still only 7.25 a.m. here.

Last edited by Jean-Francois; 03-25-2018 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History