Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times

Advertisements

There are 14 remaining British Territories. Canada could hardly be considered a Colony , under any circumstances. No more or less than the USA is part of the British Monarchy. The last vestiges of a Commonwealth status under the British flag ,went away in 1931, for Canada.
I would say that a Country ( spelled with a capital C ) , is any place that is not a territory.......A country could be ( with a small c ) , about any place, from " I went for a ride in the country , to " no country for old men "..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
A law enacted by the Canadian Parliament or any provincialk parliament is not valid until it is signed by a representative of Queen Elizabeth II.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A law enacted by the Canadian Parliament or any provincialk parliament is not valid until it is signed by a representative of Queen Elizabeth II.
You refer to the post of Governor General;, as representative of the Queen of England........Mostly a historical , tradition . The post is actually approved by the Prime Minster , and , as of late has been a Canadian born person.
The order of the day , is in play now , before parliament.I do not follow all this , can be quite complicated , conflicting , and contested , as to protocol. There has been , and is now , a movement to disband Parliament , and to appoint a president , and a republic form of Government. Then we have the French Canadians , another problem........bottom line , England has little influence over Canadian affairs. By the way , it takes a unanimous majority of Provincial members to approve , the Governor General 's approval of actions taken by the Parliament.......all about tradition, and , in my mind , a waste of time,... a thought shared by most of the Canadian friends I have.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:23 AM

Nevertheless, there is a continuum down through the British Commonwealth, and it is hard to specify exactly where is the line that separates countries from colonies. Would you call the Channel Islands of Guernsey and Jersey countries? They have no representation in the British Parliament, and laws passed by Parliament do not apply to the Islands unless there is a specific order in council.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM

269 posts, read 1,243,687 times
It's almost as confusing as the issue of what entities can send separate sports teams to international competitions (like the Olympics, World Cup, etc.). Once you settle on the definition, you get the answer, but until then it's doomed to ambiguity.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM

It really gets confusing when I try to keep a list of all the countries I've been in. Do I count them as the countries they were at the time, or as the countries they are now. If I was all over Yugoslavia when it was one country, do I now get to count it as five, or still just one? Do I still get to count East and West Germany as two countries? Do I get to count Gibraltar as a separate "entity" but not Puerto Rico?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM

269 posts, read 1,243,687 times
Quote:
For how long, each day, is it the same day at every point on earth?
I think you'd have to work this one out exhaustively, paying careful attention to what happens out in the Central Pacific. Time zones range from UTC-12 to UTC+14 (seasonally, I think, so DST in the two hemispheres could enter) and the boundaries on those are more political than geometric.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabm67 View Post
I think you'd have to work this one out exhaustively, paying careful attention to what happens out in the Central Pacific. Time zones range from UTC-12 to UTC+14 (seasonally, I think, so DST in the two hemispheres could enter) and the boundaries on those are more political than geometric.
That would seem to mean that there are 26 (full hour) time zones, which would imply that there can be a place where it is two days at once!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM

This is beginning to remind me of the logician who was sentenced to death. He was told that he would be executed at sunruse one morning next month, but would not know which day it would be until informed the previous evening. He concluded that his execution date could not be the 31st, because if he were still alive at noon on the 30th, he would know before evening that that was to be the day, inconsistent with the terms. Having eliminated that date, it must be from the first through the 30th. But then he would know which day at noon on the 29th. And so forth, right back to the present. Therefore, he argued, that his sentence must be vacated, owing to the logical impossibility of carrying it out.

Actually, I argued this point with my distraught mother when I was about 12. We had company, and after everyone had helped themselves to dessert, there were two pieces of cake left. I took one. Later I was chastized for leaving only one piece, which everyone else would be too polite to take, and therefore denied. I thought it over and replied that if there were three pieces, I could not take one, either, because nobody would then be allowed to take one if there are only two. And since I could not take one if there were only 3, I could not leave anyone else with that dilemma if there were 4 left. Ad nauseam.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-10-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
This is beginning to remind me of the logician who was sentenced to death. He was told that he would be executed at sunruse one morning next month, but would not know which day it would be until informed the previous evening. He concluded that his execution date could not be the 31st, because if he were still alive at noon on the 30th, he would know before evening that that was to be the day, inconsistent with the terms. Having eliminated that date, it must be from the first through the 30th. But then he would know which day at noon on the 29th. And so forth, right back to the present. Therefore, he argued, that his sentence must be vacated, owing to the logical impossibility of carrying it out.

Actually, I argued this point with my distraught mother when I was about 12. We had company, and after everyone had helped themselves to dessert, there were two pieces of cake left. I took one. Later I was chastized for leaving only one piece, which everyone else would be too polite to take, and therefore denied. I thought it over and replied that if there were three pieces, I could not take one, either, because nobody would then be allowed to take one if there are only two. And since I could not take one if there were only 3, I could not leave anyone else with that dilemma if there were 4 left. Ad nauseam.
Let them eat cake.....the order of the day, so appropriate these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History