U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,930 posts, read 7,542,390 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm going to be away for a couple of days, so I'll give the answer.

Mauritius, was a French colonty before it was British, so French got established as the common language, and it still is, despite the fact that a majorty of the population came from India, where English is also an official language.
That was tough. I thought of South Africa , Ireland , and most islands are under 1 million , so ........you stumped us !
I have one ........ what island has blond blue eyed population ( Scandinavian looking , ) , yet , the language is French , and all the surrounding islands the population is 90 per cent African heritage, as is common in this part of the island chain. Hint; its part of France., but not in the same hemisphere.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,081,007 times
Reputation: 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
That was tough. I thought of South Africa , Ireland , and most islands are under 1 million , so ........you stumped us !
I have one ........ what island has blond blue eyed population ( Scandinavian looking , ) , yet , the language is French , and all the surrounding islands the population is 90 per cent African heritage, as is common in this part of the island chain. Hint; its part of France., but not in the same hemisphere.
Saint Barts (?)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,930 posts, read 7,542,390 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Saint Barts (?)
Yes , thats it. ! The Island was at one time part of Sweden. There is a high per cent of inbreeding among the natives. I have spent many a Christmas holiday on the island , both by boat ( mine ) , and private villa ( leased ). , in years past.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,729 posts, read 34,414,605 times
Reputation: 28431
In most states, you can find a few good examples of fictional names by combining the county seat as the first name and the county as the last name. Most don't work well, .like St. Petersburg Pinellas or Oakland Contra Costa. or Cleveland Cuyahoga. But North Dakota is a veritable motherlode of characters for a sweeping saga:

Hettinger Adams
Medora Billings
Fargo Cass
Langdon Cavalier
Ellendale Dickey
Manning Dunn
Linton Emmons
Carrington Foster
Carson Grant
Steele Kidder
Napoleon Logan
Towner McHenry
Ashley McIntosh
Washburn McLean
Stanton Mercer
Mandan Morton
Stanley Mountrail
Lakota Nelson
Rugby Pierce
Lisbon Ransom
Forman Sargent
Amadon Slope
Dickinson Stark
Finley Steele
Grafton Walsh
Fessenden Wells
Williston Williams
---And the rival matrons of the two competing families,
Rolla Rolette and Bowbells Burke
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,579,180 times
Reputation: 5943
Where is the worlds longest breakwater??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 12:02 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,930 posts, read 7,542,390 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Where is the worlds longest breakwater??
Dubai ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,579,180 times
Reputation: 5943
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Dubai ?

nope think Western Hemisphere
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 04:22 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,930 posts, read 7,542,390 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
nope think Western Hemisphere
The Army built a lot of breakwater in the Gulf , New Orleans, if you included the canals , might be the longest. Otherwise , the lowest protected land , and structure is in Galveston, considering all the military , and shipping for the Port.
So much of the land elevation in La. , Tx. Al., Miss,. Florida is low lying, on the Gulf Coast. Some barrier islands are totally surrounded by breakwater , come to think of it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,269 posts, read 2,579,180 times
Reputation: 5943
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Army built a lot of breakwater in the Gulf , New Orleans, if you included the canals , might be the longest. Otherwise , the lowest protected land , and structure is in Galveston, considering all the military , and shipping for the Port.
So much of the land elevation in La. , Tx. Al., Miss,. Florida is low lying, on the Gulf Coast. Some barrier islands are totally surrounded by breakwater , come to think of it.

ah close enough the South Granite Breakwater protecting the port of Galveston,Texas is 6.75 miles long





Where is the worlds deepest valley??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 04:37 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,930 posts, read 7,542,390 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
ah close enough the South Granite Breakwater protecting the port of Galveston,Texas is 6.75 miles long





Where is the worlds deepest valley??
Some where in China , I think.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top