U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 08:50 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
8?

Jefferson City, Missouri
Carson City, Nevada
Correct. Annapolis and Indianapolis are only 7 letters repeated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 PM

6,899 posts, read 9,589,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Atlanta is the fifth name for that city. Originally an indian settlement called Standing Peachtree, there was then a trading post Thrashersville, changed to Marthasville, then to Atlantica-Pacifica, shortened to Atlanta in 1847.
An Atlanta native and never knew about Thrashersville or Atlantica-Pacifica.

You forgot a name in the lineage. Terminus. Probably the same time of Atlantica-Pacifica. From its history as a railroad center.

Interesting fact that Lovin Decatur on the Atlanta forum brought up recently and I remembered. The famous name of Peachtree in Atlanta, originating with Standing Peachtree indian village was originally Pitch-tree where Indians and early settlers obtained pitch to seal log cabins and such. Was not a peach tree even tho Georgia is famed for peaches.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 02-03-2009 at 10:01 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Last year West Patterson, NJ changed its name to Woodland Park.
One of the things that has stuck with me thru the years was reading of East Paterson, NJ changing its name to Elmwood Park. Just looked it up on Wikipedia and see that it was voted on in 1972, so I was only 11. That is one of the examples I had in mind when posing this question.

Now I see that their sister city on the other side of Paterson has followed suit.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
In 1994. Flat River Missouri merged with 4 other villages to form Park Hills, pop. now 8.000. (I liked Flat River better).
The cotton mill towns along the Chattahoochee River in far east Alabama (right where the Chattahoochee becomes the GA/AL border) of Langdale, Riverview, Shawmut, and Fairfax merged together in 1980 and incorporated as the new town of Valley, AL. The area had collectively been known as "the Valley" for some time by locals.

Quote:
During one of the world wars, Berlin Wisconsin re-pronounced itself BURL-in,, which survives to this day, but I do not know of any Berlins, Moscows, Havanas, Cubas or Castrovilles that have changed their name for reasons of political disfavor.
I had a high school teacher from Centre, AL that told me during her school years, the town fathers decided to change the spelling from the more mundane Center in an effort to instill some civic pride and distinction.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Time for a new discussion topic:

What American cities have changed their name? What was the last to do so? What was the largest to do so? Trying to think of something more contemporary, not the historical New Amsterdam changing to New York in colonial times.

On my Rand McNally, Lake Forest, CA, home to Saddleback Church and Rick Warren, was in earlier editions listed as El Toro, CA.
True. Elsinore, California some years ago became "Lake Elsinore". Marshfield, Oregon, back in the 1950's became "Coos Bay". Baker, Oregon, some years back became "Baker City".

Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Another couple of name changes close to my hometown:

Chipley, GA became Pine Mountain, GA soon after neighboring Callaway Gardens opened and the town became a tourist center for it and the nearby FDR state park along Pine Mountain (the actual mountain, not the town).

Pine Mountain extends east west in west central Georgia for many miles and is perhaps the furthest south significant variation in elevation in the southeastern US. It is about 75 miles south of Atlanta and the Blue Ridge Mountains of the Appalachian don't rise up until several miles north of Atlanta.

Further east from the town of Pine Mountain alongside THE Pine Mountain is the town of Warm Springs, GA which was formerly known as Bullochville. This is where FDR came to the famed warm springs for therapy from the effects of polio and where he died at his home there known as the Little White House.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM

7,962 posts, read 16,775,537 times
Where is the longest suspension bridge in the Western Hemisphere located?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,004,154 times
About the Bridge - Mackinac Bridge Authority Michigan

Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM

8,576 posts, read 13,458,134 times
How about the worlds longest bridge over ice covered water. Where is it.? Don't Google it ether , if you don't know , you don't know....

Old 02-04-2009, 02:39 PM

7,962 posts, read 16,775,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
How about the worlds longest bridge over ice covered water. Where is it.? Don't Google it ether , if you don't know , you don't know....
Is it the one that was just built within the last 10 years to Prince Edward Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History