U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2008, 08:17 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,301,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes it is in Canada , I thought this would be easy , as I have always had a map in my head...I thought every geo. student did ?
In all fairness , I have driven to this spot , in a 1913 Marmon car., several years ago, will never forget the experience.
Port Morien
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 PM

7,940 posts, read 7,883,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Port Morien
That could be , looking on a map, however , Meat Cove claims the honor. Once you leave the Cabot Trail , its a two track dirt road for about 30 miles. It maybe that their claim has a relationship to the point closest to Newfoundland , which , IS the furthest point in NA., ferry ride included., ( about 8 hours ).
Maybe I need to revisit the subject as well , after all these years.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,381,144 times
I am on an Island in the Mediterranean.
It has over 600 miles of coastline and the climate ranges from warm Mediterranean to Alpine.
It has been occupied by humans since the Mesolithic age and has been ruled by Greeks, Etruscans,Romans,Vandals,Goths, and Saracens.
Where am I?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
974 posts, read 1,221,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I am on an Island in the Mediterranean.
It has over 600 miles of coastline and the climate ranges from warm Mediterranean to Alpine.
It has been occupied by humans since the Mesolithic age and has been ruled by Greeks, Etruscans,Romans,Vandals,Goths, and Saracens.
Where am I?
Is it Corsica, the birth place on Napoleon Bonaparte?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Yes...Corsica....Your turn!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:08 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
Default Name this Island

I will continue with Trudeyrose's idea of "name this island". I'm island located in Central Asia between 2 formerly Soviet Union republics. During soviet times I was a top secret main lab and testing ground for biological warfare group. To-day I'm probably the world's largest dump for anthrax stored in containers. The former head of Soviet Union bioweapons program defected to USA and told about me. Where am I? And for extra bonus name the Sea I'm located in ??

Old 06-30-2008, 06:33 PM

594 posts, read 1,063,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
I will continue with Trudeyrose's idea of "name this island". I'm island located in Central Asia between 2 formerly Soviet Union republics. During soviet times I was a top secret main lab and testing ground for biological warfare group. To-day I'm probably the world's largest dump for anthrax stored in containers. The former head of Soviet Union bioweapons program defected to USA and told about me. Where am I? And for extra bonus name the Sea I'm located in ??
Marcian,

That would be Vozrozhdeniya Island in the Aral Sea between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. So much of the water was drained off from Aral for irrigation, it's hardly a sea anymore. I understand that the only people who go there are scavengers who pilfer the metal left behind. It used to teem with fish, but it's one of the most toxic places on earth now. I remembered the Aral Sea, but I looked up the tongue-twister name of the island. Great question, though!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Marcian,

That would be Vozrozhdeniya Island in the Aral Sea between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. So much of the water was drained off from Aral for irrigation, it's hardly a sea anymore. I understand that the only people who go there are scavengers who pilfer the metal left behind. It used to teem with fish, but it's one of the most toxic places on earth now. I remembered the Aral Sea, but I looked up the tongue-twister name of the island. Great question, though!
Yes, it's indeed Vozrozhdeniya Island which sometimes called a Rebirth Island. Ken Alibek was the defector the former head of the program in the Soviet Union. Also because of receding Aral Sea it became a peninsula. Please, John Walmsley keep the thread going ....

Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 PM

594 posts, read 1,063,813 times
Here is another island question: The Carthaginians recruited these renowned stone-slingers into their military, and a troop of them went with Hannibal over the Alps and fought the Romans. The islands, owned by Spain, are now a favorite destination of many vacationers. Name the islands where these feared fighters came from.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM

Mallorca...I did look it up, but in one of my books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History